Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I must have a unique contacts/calendar syncing problem

Default I must have a unique contacts/calendar syncing problem
    I have gone through several of the fixes in the forums here for an iPhone not syncing contacts and calendar TO Outlook but none seem to work for me. I'm guessing it has something to do with my unique situation. My iPhone syncs with our Outlook Exchange Server at work but I also want my contacts and calendar to sync on my home computer as well. I have tried:

1. Selecting the device in iTunes, going to the Info tab and checking the boxes for sync contacts and calendar
    2. Going to Edit > Preferences > Devices tab and resetting sync history

All that has happened so far is that my contacts on my home computer's Outlook have synced to the iPhone, causing me to have a duplicate of every contact that already existed in both places (what a pain!), but nothing has synced FROM the iPhone TO my home computer. Does anybody have any ideas, or maybe is this just not possible since I am connected to the Exchange Server at work? I've wasted too much time on this and am about to pull my hair out!

Thanks,
    Kevin

I figured I would post my solution since I couldn't find an answer anywhere, someone with the same scenario may need this in the future. What worked for me:

1. In Outlook on my work PC which runs from Exchange, I exported contacts to a .pst file and named it contacts.pst, then exported calendar to a separate .pst file and named it calendar.pst. I then copied these 2 files to a flash drive.
    2. Since I had previously synced contacts from my home PC to this iPhone as well, in Outlook on my home PC I deleted all contacts.
    3. I then copied the 2 .pst files contacts.pst and calendar.pst from the flash drive to my home PC. I placed them in a folder under My Documents and called it Outlook backups but you can put them wherever you want on your hard drive.
    4. In Outlook on my home PC, I imported the 2 .pst files. When Outlook asks what you want to do with duplicate items I told it to replace, since the info on my iPhone had been much more updated than what I had on my home PC's Outlook.
    5. On my iPhone I deleted the Exchange account which cleared all of its contacts and calendar entries.
    6. I then opened iTunes and synced and voila, problem solved!

There are random duplicate contacts and calendar entries here and there but I just delete the outdated ones as I come across them. One thing that helped was installing Outlook Duplicate Items Remover which is free. You can download it at Outlook Duplicate Items Remover. It appears that the issue was the iPhone won't sync correctly with both Exchange and regular Outlook on 2 separate PC's so I ended up having work provide me with a company cell phone, going through the above steps to save my contacts/calendar to my home PC, and removing the Exchange account on my iPhone altogether.
    Last edited by k.Lo; 2010-06-15 at 10:47 PM.