Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone wouldn't restore, now its not recognized by any computer

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone wouldn't restore, now its not recognized by any computer
    hello, recently my 2g iphone started acting up, so i decided that a full restore was in order. i attempted to restore with factory firmware 3.1.2, but then itunes gave me an error 23 saying that the restore could not be completed (this was only after the iphone was being prepped for the restore. it was stuck in restore mode at the connect to itunes screen, so i used irecovery to force it out of recovery mode, and it went to the apple screen. and that is where it has stayed, for almost twenty hours. what i would like to know is if there is a solution to my problem. i planned on letting the battery die because my lock/power button does not work, then attempting to restore the phone again. i understand however that this phone is three years old, so i wont be heartbroken if there is nothing i can do that isn't either cheap or free. so, is there anything i can do? thank you.

This happened to my iPod classic, It happened 2 years ago. It is now a 80GB paper weight. I'm not saying there's nothing you can do, I'm saying I haven't been able to find anything.
    iPhone 3G 4.2.1 - iPod touch 3G 5.0 Beta 1
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

Thanks

DFU.
    dont know how to dfu
    omg google.com then type in..how put put (product) in DFU mode. herp derp...

also sometimes it helps to install a earlier version of itunes...

how do you do that

google.com type in... download earlier version of itunes... restart computer

Try again

ALSO it could just be your usb cable... this happened to me..i thought it was the phone..but it was just he cable.
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

Thanks

Error 23 usually refers to a hardware problem with the phone, I believe.

A link to apple error codes:
    Update and restore alert messages on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
    Last edited by jkmonkey; 2010-05-27 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I got an error 23 restoring to 4.0, just keep trying it, different methods, like DFU, then recovery then try straight up homescreen.
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

the only problem i have is that i cant get it into dfu mode because like i believe i said before, my power button is broken, so dfu mode isnt really an option unless there is a program that can do it for me, but then again it isnt even recognized by ANY computer. it is still stuck on the apple logo, and i cant turn it off so i'm letting the battery die then trying something else. if it ends up getting detected, what do i do? how would i get it into dfu mode without the buttons? in short, am i screwed on this one?

Thanks

lol.. imo just buy the new one next month
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

if i had the money, dont you think i would have bought a new iphone already? hell, i got this one for free, so blowing 400 bucks on a brand new phone isnt really an option for me

Just Get iREB, close iTunes and click Enter DFU mode for your phone. Then you can do the restore in iTunes.
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i've tried that and it didnt work. now the screen is off and it wont turn on im wondering now is it stuck in dfu mode or is it just dead? no computer recognizes it, so im thinking the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleman7546 View Post
    i've tried that and it didnt work. now the screen is off and it wont turn on im wondering now is it stuck in dfu mode or is it just dead? no computer recognizes it, so im thinking the latter.
    Turn your speakers up all the way. then plug it in and listen. Any beeps or anything?
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

nothing at all, iphone doesnt respond to being plugged in neither is the laptop. i have a feeling im screwed, but i dont want to give up on it yet, i'll leave it plugged in and see if anything happens. i cant try to power it on either because like i said my power button is broken.

its turned back on and its in recovery mode, but it still wont restore, giving me error 23. i'm running out of idead, i've tried every firmware under the sun, what else can i do? im starting to get desperate. this samsung im using now sucks, and i want my iphone back lol

EDIT: ive gained access to a mac would there be anything different i could do there?
    Last edited by bubbleman7546; 2010-05-28 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost