Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cant boot Phone. Cant Access DFU. Windowws Cant Recognize Phone

Default Cant boot Phone. Cant Access DFU. Windowws Cant Recognize Phone
    Hi gang,

Ive searched through the forum, but cant seem to find anyone with my specific problem. I am trying to restore my iPhone 2g.

When I turn the phone on, it shows the apple logo, and it just sits there for about 45 seconds, then turns back off.

Itunes does not recognize the phone, Windows does not recognize the phone.

I cannot seem to get the iphone to boot in DFU mode, even though I am able to reset the phone (while the apple logo is shown) by pressing the Home and Power buttons simultaneously. In theory, I thought I would be able to use the DFU reset within that allotted time, but it does not seem to work...

Any help greatly appreciated.

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seantana View Post
    Hi gang,

Ive searched through the forum, but cant seem to find anyone with my specific problem. I am trying to restore my iPhone 2g.

When I turn the phone on, it shows the apple logo, and it just sits there for about 45 seconds, then turns back off.

Itunes does not recognize the phone, Windows does not recognize the phone.

I cannot seem to get the iphone to boot in DFU mode, even though I am able to reset the phone (while the apple logo is shown) by pressing the Home and Power buttons simultaneously. In theory, I thought I would be able to use the DFU reset within that allotted time, but it does not seem to work...

Any help greatly appreciated.
    1st The iPhone connect to your Mac / PC
    2nd The two buttons on the iPhone, the top (power button) and bottom (square) holding down
    3rd kept as pressed until the iPhone restarts, the glowing apple appears
    4th When the apple appears release the top button
    5th iPhone iTunes icon with plug should show - mode

Those are the steps to get the phone into DFU mode. I have tried this, and it simply does not boot into DFU mode. Itunes never recognizes the phone when it is plugged in. I know the phone should be going into DFU mode, (because the ghost image stays on the screen until i give up and let go of the home button)

iPhone? More like MyPhone mitchell209's Avatar
    Thanks

You're not timing it right then. It's always possible to get into DFU Mode.

I just put my friends iphone 3g into DFU, then tried the exact same steps on my 2g that wont boot. No Luck. I think the problem might have something to do with the fact that windows cannot recognize what the USB device is. (neither can mac)

Ill make a video of the problem tomorrow if that would help.
    Last edited by seantana; 2010-05-25 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Figured it out!

All i needed to do was run a Q-Tip with some rubbing alcohol over the dock connector then boot to DFU mode.

Simple as that.

Although the apple store told me that it was bricked... and that my best bet was to give them the phone and buy a new 2g for 200 bucks. *facepalm*