Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Reasons Not To Use Apple's 4.0 Multitasking

Default Reasons Not To Use Apple's 4.0 Multitasking
    I thought I would start a discussion on this, since nobody else has yet. I don't know about the rest of you, but I plan on disabling the multitasking on 4.0 after it's jailbroken. Let me explain my reasons before you go telling me about how Apple's could be better.

1. Apple must approve apps that multi-task. Being that Cydia is not Apple approved, no jailbroken apps will be allowed to multitask. Sorry guys, but this is a must for me. If I can't change my music while playing my gameboy, no way :P

2. From what I've used 4.0, it seems to work more like a "save-state" than multi-tasking. Much like how if you save a rom, you'll continue from that point in the rom, instead of hitting the pause button in an app and having multiple apps run real-time simultaneously.

3. I plan to disable the Multitasking the same way that you add it when you do so on an iPhone 3g, but instead of adding multi-tasking to the P-List, you delete it. I expect that this will also save me some RAM as it won't create a "save state" (I'm calling where the multi-tasking leaves it off) every time I exit an app.

4. If multi-tasking is on every app, then Apps will always resume where they left off, instead of on the startup screen for the app, which I prefer.

I'm sure there are others, but I just wanted to get some friendly discussion going. What are your thoughts on Jailbreaking Multi-tasking vs Apple Multi-tasking?

Thanks

cydia developers can add native multi-tasking without apple approval. all they have to do is update. i cant wait for 4.0 and the things that devs are gonna do if they update their apps to harness the multitasking features in 4.0

Thanks

I disagree with everything you said. There's 1 or 2 worthwhile apps in Cydia, 99.9% of it is crap. 'Theme creators' have stunk that place up so bad.

How often are you going to be stopping playing your gameboy to change music, hardly or never?

Not quite sure you understand how multi-tasking is going to work. VOIP, GPS, audio are all going to run in the background as services - they won't be paused.

You complaint that it's not true multitasking, then say you like your apps to always start on the startup screen? Isn't that retarded logic?
    To live, you have to lie

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    You complaint that it's not true multitasking, then say you like your apps to always start on the startup screen? Isn't that retarded logic?
    What I mean by that is this:

In my experience with the betas, every time I exit an app, it gets added to the multi-task dock. If theres an app I use on a bi-daily basis, I would rather have it open up to the start-up screen than to pop back up the screen I was looking at 2 days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    cydia developers can add native multi-tasking without apple approval. all they have to do is update.
    Wasn't aware of that, I just thought they were making sure that their apps would work in 4.0, I didn't know that they would be updated to natively multitask! I'd love to give it a shot at the least!
    Last edited by ownerofspam; 2010-05-24 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ownerofspam View Post
    What I mean by that is this:

In my experience with the betas, every time I exit an app, it gets added to the multi-task dock. If theres an app I use on a bi-daily basis, I would rather have it open up to the start-up screen than to pop back up the screen I was looking at 2 days ago.
    Yeah, I knew what you meant. It's important to you to have a few seconds to look at a pretty little start screen before your app starts? I don't get it. True multitasking takes you exactly where you were, not to a start screen, then to where you want to go
    To live, you have to lie

Thanks

ooooohhhh god i agree with you on all the crap thats in cydia! they need to filter all the junk in there...especially the BS themes that people make...sorry but a skewed background of twilight with every icon having the face of one of those *** vampires is not a theme to me....we should host a "worst theme" thread!

iPhone? More like MyPhone mitchell209's Avatar
    Thanks

You guys know you can just disable themes from showing up in cydia, right?

And how is it hard to change your music when playing gameboy? They have the iPod controls in the multitasking dock.

Also, why would you want the whole app running in the background? That's pointless. You aren't even using the app. If you're backgrounding, you're most likely just going to want the important things to continue running, such as music in an app like Pandora.

You want the whole app running when you are playing fieldrunners and your like on lvl300 and going.

I don't agree with not using it but what i don't like is how every app is automatically back grounded... I hate that. And sure, you can install Backgrounder along with it. Just set Cydia to run as in foreground and set everything else to Native. Fixed.
    iPhone 3G 4.2.1 - iPod touch 3G 5.0 Beta 1
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

iPhone? More like MyPhone mitchell209's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lefti View Post
    You want the whole app running when you are playing fieldrunners and your like on lvl300 and going.
    So you'd want the whole app running when you're not even playing it? You wouldn't want it to just pause so you can resume it later?

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

Ahaahah one or two worth while apps in cydia!!? Hah! Yes there is a bunch of crap but that's what happens on the Internet . 1 or 2 hahaha yeh the first day it came out maybe hahah tool

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ownerofspam View Post
    I thought I would start a discussion on this, since nobody else has yet. I don't know about the rest of you, but I plan on disabling the multitasking on 4.0 after it's jailbroken. Let me explain my reasons before you go telling me about how Apple's could be better.

1. Apple must approve apps that multi-task. Being that Cydia is not Apple approved, no jailbroken apps will be allowed to multitask. Sorry guys, but this is a must for me. If I can't change my music while playing my gameboy, no way :P

2. From what I've used 4.0, it seems to work more like a "save-state" than multi-tasking. Much like how if you save a rom, you'll continue from that point in the rom, instead of hitting the pause button in an app and having multiple apps run real-time simultaneously.

3. I plan to disable the Multitasking the same way that you add it when you do so on an iPhone 3g, but instead of adding multi-tasking to the P-List, you delete it. I expect that this will also save me some RAM as it won't create a "save state" (I'm calling where the multi-tasking leaves it off) every time I exit an app.

4. If multi-tasking is on every app, then Apps will always resume where they left off, instead of on the startup screen for the app, which I prefer.

I'm sure there are others, but I just wanted to get some friendly discussion going. What are your thoughts on Jailbreaking Multi-tasking vs Apple Multi-tasking?
    Your "experience" with multi-tasking in the 4.0 betas is not correct. The reason apps act the way you are describing is because you are still running OS 3.X compatible apps. None of the apps (non-stock ones I mean) are coded yet to capitalize on the 4.0 APIs.

If you want to get a glimpse of what the multi-tasking is really like then spend some time running only the stock apps one after another. Go into settings then go into a few other apps then go back to settings via the quick launch and you'll see that it takes you to the page in settings that you left it on rather than back to the very first page. YOu can also put in a website in Safari and go to another app or two before it loads the webpage and then go back to Safari and it will have been loading the page as if you had never left (or it may have finished loading by theh time you return to Safar).

On a side note, the multi-tasking does have some instances that are not very logical. The example I used for settings is a good one. I would much rather start back at the first page of the settings each time as I am not usually going back to change the same specific setting over and over (other than turning on/off bluetooth and wifi).

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell209 View Post
    You guys know you can just disable themes from showing up in cydia, right?
    How? do tell please. thanks