Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Blacklisted iPhone 3GS

Default Blacklisted iPhone 3GS
    Hey,

I bought an iPhone 3GS from USA, it was second hand and a few weeks later.. I find out it's been blacklisted (in USA). I was wondering whether the iPhone 3GS would work within the UK? It's not even jailbreak-en or unlocked, I'd just like to know if it's still usable in the United Kingdom? I would appreciate some help from fellow members who have had a similar/same problem.

Thanks

If you bought it on eBay then file a complaint and get your money back.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

The Bird (2010-05-25)

I bought it via craigslist. So, I wouldn't be able to use the iPhone within the United Kingdom?

If the phone has been blacklisted it means it is either stolen or for some other reason should not be used.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

The Bird (2010-05-25)

I see, I am aware of that but I was wondering if it works in the UK regardless of it being blacklisted in USA?
    Last edited by The Bird; 2010-05-24 at 05:12 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It won't work. Try to get your money back man...

You could try to jailbreak and unlock it to see if that fixes it...but I got a bad feeling about that too. I would definitely try to get my money back if I were you.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-05-25 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

The Bird (2010-05-25)

Phones don't get "black-listed" in the US, so I doubt its stolen. Its probably broken, and the seller is trying to convince international buyers so they'll buy it.

AFAIK, "blacklisting" is not global either. If its blocked in one country, it shouldn't be in any other country

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shadow25 For This Useful Post:

The Bird (2010-05-25)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

It depends on what firmware it is on as far as the unlock goes. What firmware is it?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

The Bird (2010-05-25)

It's on 3.1.3, I'm trying to jailbreak it atm, so I can atleast use the wifi but after it says the rest will take place on the iPhone but the iPhone is stuck on a black screen doesn't even reboot. Any help please?

What are you using to JB?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

The Bird (2010-05-25)

I've tried redsn0w and blackra1n.

Neither of which are compatible with 3.13 - only Spirit will JB 3.13 and you need to be activated to use it.
    Get an AT&T SIM to activate it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

The Bird (2010-05-25)

Okay, thanks for the help confucious. Would you mind telling me if I would be able to use the AT&T sim card within UK to activate the iPhone? I live in UK and as you know bought the iPhone from USA (which was really stupid of me).

Yes, you can activate from anywhere and just need a SIM from the carrier it is locked too.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

The Bird (2010-05-25)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

The prepaid SIMs have been reported not to be working to activate the iPhones. Does this mean the AT&T SIMs have to be legitimately on a contract?

Seems like Ive seen a few people who have bought AT&T SIM cards off eBay and report them jusy hanging on "waiting to activate, this may take a moment". So what SIM from AT&T will work in the UK? Jist curious, cuz I never found out :P

Maybe the other people didnt have US locked phones?

^ I was going to purchase an AT&T sim card off eBay right now xD, that would suck if you need to have a contract with AT&T. It's only $5, no harm in trying.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm guessing you can't get your money back? That would be your best option...

You need to unlock the phone with an AT&T sim card, after that you may put in any other sim (GSM network).

If it is indeed blacklisted then it probably won't work in other countries, as they share the information to prevent international sales of stolen phones.

There is a database here that logs all blacklisted imei's. But it appears you need certain credentials to see it. I'd call to see if it's imei is blacklisted.

Otherwise you may have to sell it for parts and try another seller.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Exo III For This Useful Post:

The Bird (2010-05-26)

Quote Originally Posted by Exo III View Post
    You need to unlock the phone with an AT&T sim card, after that you may put in any other sim (GSM network).
    That is just plane wrong!

You can activate the phone to use as an iPod Touch but will not be able to unlock it until FW 4.0 is unlocked.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

The Bird (2010-05-26)

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    The prepaid SIMs have been reported not to be working to activate the iPhones. Does this mean the AT&T SIMs have to be legitimately on a contract?

Seems like Ive seen a few people who have bought AT&T SIM cards off eBay and report them jusy hanging on "waiting to activate, this may take a moment". So what SIM from AT&T will work in the UK? Jist curious, cuz I never found out :P

Maybe the other people didnt have US locked phones?
    You're half right...

Unactivated, Prepaid, or Contract SIMs will all get you to the "waiting to activate". From there, you can do whatever you want on the phone (ie, not locked down). Once you insert a WORKING SIM (either AT&T, or after you install unlock software), it'll say iPhone Activated.

What happens when I restore my iphone

Put AT&T SIM in (Unactivated SIM)
    Restore 3.1.2
    "Waiting for Activation"
    Install BlackSn0w
    Turn off Phone
    Insert my T-Mobile SIM
    Boot Phone
    "iPhone Activated"

When it says "Waiting for Activation" the phone is fully usable.

I have yet to hear of a global blacklist being used. T-Mobile AND AT&T do not block IMEI numbers, so I doubt they're logged. Anyway, they could care less about phone theft in the US. To the carrier, that just means a new phone = renewed contract

30. The Following User Says Thank You to shadow25 For This Useful Post:

The Bird (2010-05-26)

Quote Originally Posted by Exo III View Post
    I'm guessing you can't get your money back? That would be your best option...

If it is indeed blacklisted then it probably won't work in other countries, as they share the information to prevent international sales of stolen phones.

There is a database here that logs all blacklisted imei's. But it appears you need certain credentials to see it. I'd call to see if it's imei is blacklisted.

Otherwise you may have to sell it for parts and try another seller.
    That's correct, If I could I would. But the scammer has an unregistered account on eBay. Clever, I must say. It'll take a week for the AT&T sim card to arrive within the UK, I'll try and I hope it works. When you say "Any other sim (GSM network)" -- Does that mean I can use my UK O2 sim card?

Quote Originally Posted by shadow25 View Post
    You're half right...

Unactivated, Prepaid, or Contract SIMs will all get you to the "waiting to activate". From there, you can do whatever you want on the phone (ie, not locked down). Once you insert a WORKING SIM (either AT&T, or after you install unlock software), it'll say iPhone Activated.

What happens when I restore my iphone

Put AT&T SIM in (Unactivated SIM)
    Restore 3.1.2
    "Waiting for Activation"
    Install BlackSn0w
    Turn off Phone
    Insert my T-Mobile SIM
    Boot Phone
    "iPhone Activated"

When it says "Waiting for Activation" the phone is fully usable.

I have yet to hear of a global blacklist being used. T-Mobile AND AT&T do not block IMEI numbers, so I doubt they're logged. Anyway, they could care less about phone theft in the US. To the carrier, that just means a new phone = renewed contract
    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    That is just plane wrong!

You can activate the phone to use as an iPod Touch but will not be able to unlock it until FW 4.0 is unlocked.

Damn, I thought if I put an AT&T sim card and activate it I could use the iPhone. I guess it's not that easy as I thought it was. People are selling AT&T sim cards on eBay, would they work, it states that it would "remove the itunes/emeregency screen" -- but I think they just put that so they can make a few sales. I may require your help in the future please. I hope you can help when the AT&T sim card arrives ^_^.

Many thanks to everyone who have helped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast