Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Does itunes really NOT save your purchase history?

Default Does itunes really NOT save your purchase history?
    I just went to restore my iphone to stock, and it was like, "if you don't sync these purchased apps to your computer you will loose them forever" or something like that.

I've synced to previous computers, previous installs of windows, formated & upgraded windows, or sold the computer etc. Does that mean that ALL my purchases from before just don't exist anymore? I can I not RE-Download my purchases from the appstore???

Thanks

Can't you just learn to do a back up? It's what every sensible computer user has been doing for years

yeah OK. We live in a world where my email is stored in the cloud, my address book is stored in the cloud, and my ANDROID account remembers my purchases from any android phone or tablet EVER. Yet somehow my itunes account doesn't remember my purchases?

I don't even use itunes. The only reason I have an account was to buy some apps I liked. Even ROCKAPP stores my purchase history! Why would itunes be any different?

And yeah. I do backups. /rollseyes/ I've probably got a 5 to 30 gig backup each of every program files/appdata/& user folder from every computer or install I've had for the last 5 years AT LEAST. However I really think it's ridiculous that I have to go hunting through these to restore my itunes folder, when every other similar service automatically stores your purchase history.

This is just the first time I've seen this message. Nothing personal, I'm just ranting because it's absolutely ridiculous.

Yes it does "save" your purchases. If you have to download them again, iTunes (on phone an pc) will tell you that you have already purchased this item. To download again for free, click ok. If you go to your account settings in iTunes, you can get a list of your download history.
    Last edited by boozie; 2010-05-22 at 09:05 PM.

Link was broken Picasa Web Albums - Boozie - Public

Omg thank you!!!

Why in the world would itunes on the pc tell me that if I didn't backup my purchase items that I would have to re-purchase them?

[you can obviously tell I don't use the iphone much for apps. Mainly data, cydia, and voip stuff. I just so happened to have bought the werewolf game.]

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

You can also download them again from your phone for free. Not only do they keep track of your purchases...you can view them from your account page in iTunes. It lists every app you have downloaded whether it's free or paid.

Yea, you have to click "Purchase", but it will not charge you if you already paid for it.

interesting. Maybe it's just a semantics thing :P

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I know apps can be downloaded for free again. But I think last time I tried re-downloading a song. It made me pay for it. Is this still true?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I recently had to re-download a ringtone and iTunes wanted me to pay again. I wrote Apple an email explaining that I'd had to do a Windows re-install and that my ringtones were lost and removed from my phone when doing the first iTunes sync after re-installation. They then made me able to re-download them without paying.

I'd guess it'd be the same for music, but I'm not sure. Especially not if you had lost several gigabytes worth of music.

I don't know about music as I am stuck in the 90's and still buy cd's ;-) I have never purchased music from iTunes or any other online source. Now, what to do about these 8 track tapes I still have...?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Music is a touchy subject with iTunes. Usually you will get denied a re-download because they want you to create a backup of your music on CDs.