Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: water damaged 3GS wont fully boot

Default water damaged 3GS wont fully boot
    okay, so my friend just gave me this 3gs that he dropped in water. through it in rice for about a week. now it will show apple logo (only when plugged in) and go directly to recovery. im not illiterate when it comes to iPhones. im a geek so i tried restoring it. plugged directly to the motherboard of my desktop (back port) and when the wheel appears bollow the apple logo (for 2-3 seconds) it instantly reboots and goes back to recovery. ive opened the phone. brushed off the entire motherboard (in case of rust) and checked plugs. no sign it was even dropped. any ideas??? i think it may be a battery issue (praying) since it also wont do anything unless plugged in. and plus when i first got it, it wouldnt go straight to recovery. it would just reboot. but now it does that all the time.

many thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone mitchell209's Avatar
    Thanks

Did you put the iphone into DFU mode before restoring?

If you don't know what DFU mode is,

• Press and hold the Home and Power button for 10 seconds
    • Release the Power button but continue holding the Home button for another 10-20 seconds, or until the iPhone appears in iTunes.
    • Click restore

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell209 View Post
    Did you put the iphone into DFU mode before restoring?

If you don't know what DFU mode is,

• Press and hold the Home and Power button for 10 seconds
    • Release the Power button but continue holding the Home button for another 10-20 seconds, or until the iPhone appears in iTunes.
    • Click restore
    oops! thought i covered everything. yes, several times. normal recovery does what i stated above. DFU just ends with a black backlit screen. i believe i heard that theres a place on the motherboard that holds its own charge. and when the battery is dead for a while that loses its charge as well (which makes turning on the phone take longer when charging it back up) ive had this happen. im wondering if something like that is a dependency towards the restoration process. or just the battery not working in general. a moderator over at iModZone thinks i need a battery bottom line. but i dont know if i should spend the money. i dont really have the money.

thanks so much for your response ive been pulling my hair out. this basically mint iPhone needs love haha

iPhone? More like MyPhone mitchell209's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm.. Since it was dropped in water something probably died. It's most likely your battery. I guess you're out of luck.

Since restoring doesn't seem to work, you'll most likely have to replace the battery.

You should have put your phone in a thing of rice to soak out all the water. I dropped mine in water and let it sit in a thing of rice all night and it worked perfectly the next morning

thanks for your opinion ill see what i can do about getting a battery. know where i can look cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by aaauustiinnn View Post
    You should have put your phone in a thing of rice to soak out all the water. I dropped mine in water and let it sit in a thing of rice all night and it worked perfectly the next morning
    i did...i stated that above. lol. thanks tho!
    Last edited by rockstarblech; 2010-05-21 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Its toast. The mainboard is scrapped and there is nothing you can do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Its toast. The mainboard is scrapped and there is nothing you can do with it.
    even if that were the case...the glass and screen is mint. and so is the enclosure. worth some amount of money? but i dont rele think so. sounds like battery. im gonna see if i can get a battery, and post back how it works out. hope im rite

Ok, well Ive been repairing these things for 2 years....your call though

If the screen assembly is ok, its worth something for parts.
    Last edited by cpjr; 2010-05-21 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Ok, well Ive been repairing these things for 2 years....your call though

If the screen assembly is ok, its worth something for parts.
    sorry to offend. know how much i can get for the screen assembly? and battery if the mobo is fried...

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

Craigslist lol find out what some one will pay. Poor iPhone it's always a sad day when an iPhone dies

Quote Originally Posted by screamforme02 View Post
    Craigslist lol find out what some one will pay. Poor iPhone it's always a sad day when an iPhone dies
    agreed :/ thx tho!