Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3gs Issue..

Green Apple
    Thanks

Exclamation Iphone 3gs Issue..
    Since a friend of mine who has a 3gs and i've searched everywhere online and on here.. and because he has already given up hope that he is SOL, i am going to take a chance and post his problem here and HOPE HOPE HOPE someone can tell me what the heck is wrong w/ his phone!! I'm just going to copy and paste his email so I hope it all makes sense.

"I installed bosspref and i accidently hit reboot and the apple logo came up and then turned back off. I finally got it into DFU but when i go to restore 3.1.2 or my previous software(3.0), Itunes pops up an error saying that it cannot verify software. I thought the issue might be itunes but when i downgraded the itunes to the previous version, i was still having issues. the exact error it is giving me says apple cannot verify. iphone is not eligable for the build. "

I think your friend didn't back up his SHSH Blobs.

Green Apple
    Thanks

and what exactly is that?

Apple will not sign 3.1.2 softwares anymore.

SO, you cannot restore to anything under version 3.1.2. Unless you have your ECID SHSH saved on file with saurik's server.

so what IS his problem? is he stuck on a boot loop? can't turn on? or what?
    Last edited by kzhlin; 2010-05-18 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

he can get it into DFU mode but once he tries to restore it to unlock/jailbreak, itunes will pop up the error.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mitchell209's Avatar
    Thanks

That is because Apple has stopped signing the 3.1.2 firmware.

If he doesn't need an unlock, then just DFU Restore to 3.1.3 and jailbreak with Spirit.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell209 View Post

If he doesn't need an unlock, then just DFU Restore to 3.1.3 and jailbreak with Spirit.
    He is w/ T-mobile..BASICLLY he is just SOL then? What would an ATT sim card do? Would that update it to 3.1.3 and have him really SOL? This is me being extra nice b/c he loves his iphone more than life..like most of us :-D

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell209 View Post

I think I'm having a similar problem. What if I do need an unlock then?

Quote Originally Posted by benedict_x View Post
    I think I'm having a similar problem. What if I do need an unlock then?
    You can only unlock the iPhone 3GS if you have the old bootrom. If the 4th/5th digits of the serial # are before 40 the you should have the old bootrom.

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

Use iTunes 8. I restore 3.1 all the time. Old iTunes has no idea of the new rules. 9 sucks anyways

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amandarenee View Post
    Since a friend of mine who has a 3gs and i've searched everywhere online and on here.. and because he has already given up hope that he is SOL, i am going to take a chance and post his problem here and HOPE HOPE HOPE someone can tell me what the heck is wrong w/ his phone!! I'm just going to copy and paste his email so I hope it all makes sense.

"I installed bosspref and i accidently hit reboot and the apple logo came up and then turned back off. I finally got it into DFU but when i go to restore 3.1.2 or my previous software(3.0), Itunes pops up an error saying that it cannot verify software. I thought the issue might be itunes but when i downgraded the itunes to the previous version, i was still having issues. the exact error it is giving me says apple cannot verify. iphone is not eligable for the build. "
    Make (or download) a custom firmware with pwnagetool and restore to that. It skips the signing process. It also preserves the baseband so the phone is unlockable afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatexpka View Post
    You can only unlock the iPhone 3GS if you have the old bootrom. If the 4th/5th digits of the serial # are before 40 the you should have the old bootrom.
    Whether or not a phone can be unlocked doesn't have anything to do with bootrom.

Quote Originally Posted by screamforme02 View Post
    Use iTunes 8. I restore 3.1 all the time. Old iTunes has no idea of the new rules. 9 sucks anyways
    That doesn't work on the 3GS.