Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS: No EDGE or 3G and can't make calls -- what happened?

Default 3GS: No EDGE or 3G and can't make calls -- what happened?
    It seems like my iPhone has died... it shows the AT&T logo and full bars but the 3G and E icons will not appear.

The WiFi connects but I can't access anything and the E sometimes appears for a second but disappears again.

I can't make/receive any calls or do anything.

I've tried toggling airplane mode, restarting the phone etc, and nothing works. It died when I was just using Twitterific and I wasn't doing anything special.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Also, how can I _completely_ wipe the phone and restore a new firmware? (eg. remove any previous jailbreak files, etc, EVERYTHING)

where are you located? i was having the same problem yesterday as well as one of my friends. edge was working if i turned 3g off. after a couple hours it went back to normal. maybe it was something on at&t's end.

I'm in northeast Pennsylvania and mine is working again.

I actually noticed the EXACT same thing (if I turned off 3G then EDGE would connect and work fine). Also, my 3G is now working fine.

It's odd because my wife's iPhone 3G showed the 3G logo the whole time and the internet worked on it without any problems.

Anyways, my phone is now working again so I'm happy.

was hers jailbroken? if so, what method of jailbreak was used? i was thinking that maybe it was at&t updating their system maybe getting ready for the new iphone or just some routine maintenance.

Yep,
    Im in Nepa also. same thing from like 2pm till like 7pm. Att said only Iphone 3g data (UTMS?) was affected.

Smitty