Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Advice Restoring iPhone 3GS as new

Default Advice Restoring iPhone 3GS as new
    Hey guys, wonder if you could help me out.

I had an iPhone 3GS, running 3.1.2, jailbroken using blackrain, and all was working fine (with the exception of push notifications - which is where this thread is going!) until one day it refused to charge, and once the battery had died, was showing the "Connect to iTunes" screen and the only thing i could do was restore to get it working, and as i needed the iPhone for work, and the Spirit jailbreak was now available, i updated it to 3.1.3, and restored using a previous backup, so nothing was lost.

I have NOT jailbroken it again yet, but still push notifications are not working at all, with the only ones i seem to get being OTHER peoples ones from Facebook!

I am thinking that maybe my problems are related to when i restored to 3.1.3 and then restored a previous backup (which push notifications werent working on). I think the only way to test this would be to restore the iPhone as NEW, and not use a previous backup.

The problem with this is things such as app / game progress and SMSs will not be retained. I need to be able to keep all my app settings and game progress etc and SMSs when i restore as a new iPhone.

Is there an easy way to do this? I am prepared to jailbreak again to get these files, but ultimately i want to test that push notifications are working on my stock iPhone firmware before a jailbreak. I read the sticky on the top of this page, but it doesnt seem to refer to this particular problem?

Thanks for any help!

Thanks

If you restore and set up as a new phone, everything will return once you sync. In fact it's recommended that you set up as a new phone.

edit...

Sync first before you jailbreak and restore.
    Last edited by soulthoughts; 2010-05-12 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    If you restore and set up as a new phone, everything will return once you sync. In fact it's recommended that you set up as a new phone.

edit...

Sync first before you jailbreak and restore.
    Thanks for your reply, but i think that you may have misunderstood my problem.

I DO NOT want to restore from a previous backup (as you are describing) as this will restore everything from a backup made where my push notifications were not working. I believe there is something in my backups that is blocking my push notifications from working correctly, so need a workaround so that SMSs and apps settings etc are retained.

My understanding is that once the phone is restored, i get an option screen to choose between "Restore from previous backup" (which i dont want to do) and "Set up iPhone as new" (which i want to do, but still retain all apps settings and messages etc).

Can anyone offer any advice? I think i could jailbreak and SSH into the phone and copy the Library folder? Then restore this back once i set up as new and rejailbreak?

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neenyrules View Post
    Thanks for your reply, but i think that you may have misunderstood my problem.

I DO NOT want to restore from a previous backup (as you are describing) as this will restore everything from a backup made where my push notifications were not working. I believe there is something in my backups that is blocking my push notifications from working correctly, so need a workaround so that SMSs and apps settings etc are retained.

My understanding is that once the phone is restored, i get an option screen to choose between "Restore from previous backup" (which i dont want to do) and "Set up iPhone as new" (which i want to do, but still retain all apps settings and messages etc).

Can anyone offer any advice? I think i could jailbreak and SSH into the phone and copy the Library folder? Then restore this back once i set up as new and rejailbreak?
    Don't know if this is your problem or not but under settings is Notification turned on?

Thanks

If you setup as a new phone it will not sync from a backup but it will restore your contacts...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by area51crypto View Post
    Don't know if this is your problem or not but under settings is Notification turned on?
    Yes Notifications are on

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    If you setup as a new phone it will not sync from a backup but it will restore your contacts...etc.
    Thanks, i am aware it will restore my contacts, and also my apps and music etc, but i need it to also restore my SMS database and also my settings / game progress in apps, which it will NOT do if i setup as a new iPhone? Or am i mistaken?

Yes Notifications are on

Thanks, i am aware it will restore my contacts, and also my apps and music etc, but i need it to also restore my SMS database and also my settings / game progress in apps, which it will NOT do if i setup as a new iPhone? Or am i mistaken?

If you setup as a new phone, it WILL NOT restore your game progress, notes, or SMS messages. All that will come back after resynching is apps, music, contacts, and pics. Of that I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBeez View Post
    If you setup as a new phone, it WILL NOT restore your game progress, notes, or SMS messages. All that will come back after resynching is apps, music, contacts, and pics. Of that I am sure.
    OK, how can i ensure that my SMSs and game progress is kept after the restore as new?

Is it a case of jailbreaking, copying files, restoring as new, rejailbreaking and then putting the files back?

OK, how can i ensure that my SMSs and game progress is kept after the restore as new?

Is it a case of jailbreaking, copying files, restoring as new, rejailbreaking and then putting the files back?
    Well, I don't know about the SMS ... but this thread has a way to not lose progress in your app store games.

http://modmyi.com/forums/apple-appst...ved-games.html

Well i took the plunge, jailbroke using Spirit, used Chronus from Cydia to backup my apps and SMS, SSH'ed into the phone to retrieve the backups.

Restored and set up as a new iPhone, then rejailbroke and SSH'd back into the iPhone and restored the backups, and then used Chronus to inject the backups back into the SMS and apps.

All working great, and PUSH NOTIFICATIONS work! Bonus.