Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can i update to 3.1.3

Default Can i update to 3.1.3
    Hi,

i have a question about the 3.1.3 update i want to know if i am still be able to jailbreak and unlock my iphone after this.

i now have a Iphone 3G 8GB jailbroken with unlock
    i want be sure with this cause i dont want to loose my jailbreak with unlock.

i have a
    Iphone 3G 8GB
    Version: 3.0 (7A341)
    Modem Firmware: 04.26.08

i hope someone can help me with this
    i am asking this because i couldnt find anything on the dev teams blog about this for the iphone 3g and what software to use to jailbreak it

thanks

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You should just update to 3.1.2. Download the firmware here on MMi in the downloads section and hit shift+restore in iTunes to restore your phone to 3.1.2 then use Blackra1n to jailbreak and Blacksn0w (comes with Blackra1n) to unlock.

If you really want 3.1.3 (it really doesnt do anything 3.1.2 doesnt) then thats a more complex task.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

locoiphone (2010-05-13)

Hi,

Anniex423 thanks for the help i will try that

and what if you want to go for the 3.1.3 is that to difficult to jailbreak, wich software do you need for that
    i know you then have downgrade the modem firmware if i am correct.

anyway i go for the 3.1.2 just like you said.

again thanks for the help.
    Last edited by locoiphone; 2010-05-13 at 03:27 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You can go to 3.1.3 if you want, it's just extra steps you don't have to do. 3.1.3 was such a miniscule update which was meant to fix a battery display issue for 3GS phones. That's all it really does. You can search for a custom 3.1.3 firmware and shift+restore to it and jailbreak with redsn0w or spirit. It's just easier to use a stock 3.1.2 because it keeps your baseband at 5.11.07 already so you can unlock with one process which is Blackra1n and Blacksn0w

You also risk updating your baseband if you try to use 3.1.3. That makes your phone not unlockable. Be careful.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-05-13 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hi

i think then i will stay with the 3.1.2 version

anyway i want to thank you for all the help

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by locoiphone View Post
    Hi,

i have a question about the 3.1.3 update i want to know if i am still be able to jailbreak and unlock my iphone after this.

i now have a Iphone 3G 8GB jailbroken with unlock
    i want be sure with this cause i dont want to loose my jailbreak with unlock.

i have a
    Iphone 3G 8GB
    Version: 3.0 (7A341)
    Modem Firmware: 04.26.08

i hope someone can help me with this
    i am asking this because i couldnt find anything on the dev teams blog about this for the iphone 3g and what software to use to jailbreak it

thanks
    here is the guide to jailbreak/unlock 3.1.3 if you'd rather be up to date. but like the others mentioned, there really isnt much in this firmware for the 3g. but hey, if you're going to update anyways, why not just go to the newest one? maybe a different story if you were already on 3.1.2 and the tools werent out there. but since it's possible, i say go for it! good luck!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I disagree. You run the risk of upgrading the baseband rendering it not unlockable. Sometimes even if youre super safe, something can go wrong. I went to 3.1.3 and upgraded my baseband even with custom firmware (it mightve been faulty or falsely advertised) since I have a PC i had to use someone else's stuff. I dont know how it happened and I dont care, luckily I am able to downgrade my baseband with my 5.08 bootloader so it was fine. But for others, better safe than sorry. I would recommend staying to use 3.1.2 stock ipsw cuz 1) baseband is unlockable and 2) you dont have to use someone else's created firmware which could potentially cause problems for your phone (i have experienced it before, i had to restore).

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    I disagree. You run the risk of upgrading the baseband rendering it not unlockable. Sometimes even if youre super safe, something can go wrong. I went to 3.1.3 and upgraded my baseband even with custom firmware (it mightve been faulty or falsely advertised) since I have a PC i had to use someone else's stuff. I dont know how it happened and I dont care, luckily I am able to downgrade my baseband with my 5.08 bootloader so it was fine. But for others, better safe than sorry. I would recommend staying to use 3.1.2 stock ipsw cuz 1) baseband is unlockable and 2) you dont have to use someone else's created firmware which could potentially cause problems for your phone (i have experienced it before, i had to restore).
    yeah you run the risk of upgrading your baseband but there's a lot of things we risk when we jailbreak our idevices. now if he/she needs the unlock and they follow the instructions correctly there shouldnt be any problems. as for custom fw, that's what pwnagetool is for, why use someone else's? make your own. the majority of the time when people run into a problem, it's usually user error (stupid user, haha) not the program/method that they're using. i guess it just depends on how comfortable you are w/ your own skills (reading). but to each his own. happy jailbreaking!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Custom 3.1.2 would be best in my opinion. You preserve the baseband at a version that is unlockable with bug free software.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Not everyone owns a mac to use pwnage. Jailbreaking isn't as big of a risk as locking up your phone. Just sayin. Better safe than sorry.