Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: (3): iPhone OS 4.0 Beta 3 - all about this update + media

iPhone? More like MyPhone ForumSnoBorderRK's Avatar
    Thanks

Default (3): iPhone OS 4.0 Beta 3 - all about this update + media
    andddd back again with the new beta. beta 3 was released today, May 4 2010 @ approximately 11:30am.

after using this beta for about an hour or so, ive noticed some more changes. the following list will, once again, be composed of bug fixes from the previous beta, current bugs, as well as changes to the software cosmetically and internally.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KKQN92zEqc[/ame]

||| PLEASE NOTE: iTUNES STILL DOES NOT ALLOW DATA TO BE BACKED UP FOR THIS BETA. (thanks MacDevil7334 for confirming)
    ||| UPGRADE WITH CAUTION.
    ||| YOU MUST HAVE THE OFFICIAL iPHONE SDK 4.0 TO BE ABLE TO BACK UP YOUR DATA.
    MY REASONING: APPLE IS TRYING TO DISCOURAGE NON-DEVELOPERS FROM UPGRADING, BECAUSE THE SOFTWARE CAN (AT TIMES) BE UNSTABLE. THIS MAY BE THEIR APPROACH. IF THIS WERE A BUG, THE LIKELIHOOD OF THEM NOT FIXING IT BY THE THIRD BETA IS VERY SLIM. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.

everything written in red | current software bug
    everything written in green | previous software bug that has been fixed

lots and lots of GREEN writing! wheres the red at??

first hour of usage
    - camera.app is working and fully functional

- photos.app is also working and fully functional
    photos have been put back to normal and the camera roll contains all photographs taken by iphone, just as before.

- multitasking background expose has been changed from a dotted background to brushed metal

- saving photos from safari.app is working once again.

- screen shots are also working again.

- ending an app that is in the multitasking expose now allows you to end as many apps as you would like.
    instead of having to hold each until it shakes, then hitting the delete button every time.

- multitasking expose now offers iPod controls
    move all the way to the left possible to view iPod controls

- multitasking expose now also offers orientation lock
    right next to iPod controls

- this beta now offers file sharing when connected to iTunes

- voice memos.app is now working and fully functional. multitasking also allows you to switch apps and continue recording.

- updating an app from appstore.app is now fixed.

- typing seems to be much more responsive and faster than normal?
    this may possibly be just my phone though.

- mail.app allows email conversations to be stored all in one bundled email. (this was actually in beta 2. i just found out towards the end of that period)
    (instead of having a conversation clutter your email inbox, it is all stored under one email)

rest of the first day
    (macdevil7334) - spotlight search now has its own preference tab in settings.app

(macdevil7334) - mobileme screen is now fixed.
    icons and toggle switches are working. FindMyiPhone toggle/service still INACTIVE.

- the orientation/rotation lock usually locks in portrait mode only.
    i have bugged my way into locking messages.app in landscape. can not replicate.

- messages.app bubbles have been fixed. thick line under each bubble has been removed. (thanks macdevil7334)

everything after the first day
    - entering and exiting messages.app often causes screen to be locked in portrait mode, even though orientation lock is off.

- occasionally, when you end an app from the multitasking interface, the phone freezes for 15 seconds and returns to lockscreen.

- when holding an app in landscape mode and hitting the orientation lock repetitively causes app to be bugged and locked.
    it will still rotate to the orientation of the phone, but it will not work properly, for example; popping the keyboard up for messages.app.

(cashrox) - many apps that require importing photos from the camera roll to edit are not working properly

- in maps.app the 'locate me' icon has changed to an arrow instead of a circle/crosshair.

- having a conversation open in the messages.app while an incoming message is received by that person causes phone to think there is an unread message. usually fixed by ending application and reopening.

- any written reference to a time or date (i.e. the word tomorrow, or name of a month, or a time) is underlined in mail.app and notes.app. tapping it allows you to create an event.

- when accepting an incoming call, there is a slight delay before the call is actually answered.

- messages.app is still a little buggy with excessive use. random non-repetitive.

photos from this beta

THREAD LAST UPDATED: MAY.12.2010 | 1:12PM

this will be updated throughout the day-next week.
    stick around for more info
    overall this is a very clean and nice beta. havent found any bugs yet. keyword: YET. haha

will try to post video + more pictures.
    Last edited by ForumSnoBorderRK; 2010-05-12 at 10:12 PM.
    -[r]
    if you can, please [thank] me if i helped you or you liked what i said! :]

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ForumSnoBorderRK For This Useful Post:

T.A. (2010-05-18)

Very nice, I tested out the multitasking ending apps thing, so much better
    no spam

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is it back up on dev center yet? I'm not at home to check.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

It's still down

6. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

T.A. (2010-05-18)

Some changes I've noticed:

- Spotlight search now has its own preference tab. Under settings>general. It used to be under Home Button, which is now gone.

- The MobileMe sync screen now has nice icons, and note syncing is now officially supported (it worked before, but there was no way to turn it off). You can now turn on Find My iPhone, but the feature doesn't appear to actually be working. See the pic

[edit]These icons appear when using other cloud sync services like Gmail or Exchange[/edit]

- The iPhone is now smarter about adding descriptions for e-mail accounts. Instead of putting [email protected] as the description for my MobileMe account, it now puts MobileMe by default.

- Toggle switches now work properly (in beta 2, sliding a toggle switch didn't cause whatever preference you were trying to change to change about half the time).

- The rotation lock appears to only be capable of locking the phone in portrait mode. Activating the lock while in landscape mode just forces the app back into portrait mode. The rotation lock statusbar icon for apps like safari is also a few pixels too big. I bet this will all get worked out in the next beta though.

- That annoying thick line over SMS bubbles from beta 2 is gone.

- The camera shutter seems WAY faster than I ever recall it being with older firmwares.

- I really don't like the new folders/multitasking background. I liked the texture of the dimpled metal that was in betas 1 and 2.

More to come as I play around more. Overall though, this is a great update. The whole system feels MUCH snappier!
    Last edited by MacDevil7334; 2010-05-05 at 03:30 AM.

ugh to upgrade from my newly jailbroken 3GS or to stay with Jailbroken 3.1.3? Decisions Decisions..

Quote Originally Posted by Ichwohneinloche View Post
    ugh to upgrade from my newly jailbroken 3GS or to stay with Jailbroken 3.1.3? Decisions Decisions..
    Backup your SHSH and go for it That way you get the best of both worlds.. Upgrade and try out the new features, then downgrade and take advantage of the jailbreak

EDIT

Quote Originally Posted by ForumSnoBorderRK View Post
    andddd back again with the new beta. beta 3 was released today, May 4 2010 @ approximately 11:30am.

Really glad Apple decided to give us a rotator lock I just hope that they fix the UGLY iPod icon nect to the music widget.. It does not look good at all... Does the rotator lock work System wide? Like in all apps and such?
    Last edited by xXrkidXx; 2010-05-05 at 03:41 AM.
    iPhone 3G 4.2.1 - iPod touch 3G 5.0 Beta 1
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MacDevil7334 View Post
    Some changes I've noticed:

- Spotlight search now has its own preference tab. Under settings>general. It used to be under Home Button, which is now gone.

- The MobileMe sync screen now has nice icons, and note syncing is now officially supported (it worked before, but there was no way to turn it off). You can now turn on Find My iPhone, but the feature doesn't appear to actually be working. See the pic

[edit]These icons appear when using other cloud sync services like Gmail or Exchange[/edit]

- The iPhone is now smarter about adding descriptions for e-mail accounts. Instead of putting [email protected] as the description for my MobileMe account, it now puts MobileMe by default.

- Toggle switches now work properly (in beta 2, sliding a toggle switch didn't cause whatever preference you were trying to change to change about half the time).

- The rotation lock appears to only be capable of locking the phone in portrait mode. Activating the lock while in landscape mode just forces the app back into portrait mode. The rotation lock statusbar icon for apps like safari is also a few pixels too big. I bet this will all get worked out in the next beta though.

- That annoying thick line over SMS bubbles from beta 2 is gone.

- The camera shutter seems WAY faster than I ever recall it being with older firmwares.

- I really don't like the new folders/multitasking background. I liked the texture of the dimpled metal that was in betas 1 and 2.

More to come as I play around more. Overall though, this is a great update. The whole system feels MUCH snappier!
    nice! i will add most!
    but one thing though-- the rotator lock is weird! I actually was able to lock my messages.app in landscape, i cant seem to replicate it but ive been trying.

also, i cant seem to replicate landscape notifications, like a text message notification in landscape, even though that has already happened to me as well at the homescreen.

possible landscape homescreen?

beta 3 is literally almost flawless. i know im speaking a little prematurely, but as of right now, i really havent found any bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by xXrkidXx View Post
    I just hope that they fix the UGLY iPod icon nect to the music widget.. It does not look good at all... Does the rotator lock work System wide? Like in all apps and such?
    definitely this should change. wouldn't consider it a bug necessarily, but it will definitely change into a normal icon.

still browsing beta 3!
    -[r]

nice! i will add most!
    but one thing though-- the rotator lock is weird! I actually was able to lock my messages.app in landscape, i cant seem to replicate it but ive been trying.

also, i cant seem to replicate landscape notifications, like a text message notification in landscape, even though that has already happened to me as well at the homescreen.

possible landscape homescreen?

beta 3 is literally almost flawless. i know im speaking a little prematurely, but as of right now, i really havent found any bugs.

definitely this should change. wouldn't consider it a bug necessarily, but it will definitely change into a normal icon.

still browsing beta 3!
    Also.. I can't wait for this to be jailbroken. I want to swap that dimpled metal back in there.. The new stuff looks ugly...
    Or I hope they flip it back to the way it was. It is seriously ugly now.
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

I agree with this assessment. My battery does seem to be draining a little fast, though this may be due to the fact that I'm using the phone a lot exploring the new firmware. Other than that, I've noticed no real bugs. If you don't mind losing your jailbreak, go ahead and update!

I agree with this assessment. My battery does seem to be draining a little fast, though this may be due to the fact that I'm using the phone a lot exploring the new firmware. Other than that, I've noticed no real bugs. If you don't mind losing your jailbreak, go ahead and update!
    I'd like to add, iPod touch 3G and iPhone 3G[S] Users get your SHSH backed up!!!! Don't do anything with this until you do.. Always want to be able to restore to a stable/jailbreakable firmware!
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

Thanks

oh no.... i just checked my battery in which i was at 100% at time of upgrade (about 4:30pm)
    now im at 79%... (7:20pm) and i havent been using my phone THAT intensively.

i will update this and keep my eye out for this... hopefully that bug from beta 1 isnt back. beta 2 made my battery life longer than normal which was awesome.
    -[r]

Just to clarify what I said my first post (and you quoted in the first post), all the MobileMe sync services are working. It only the Find My iPhone toggle that still does not do anything.

waiting to hear more on this battery stuff before i decide to do it.

Thanks

@macdevil- ahh i see.
    ive heard that the entire mobileme service is still not running but maybe i misread it like i did your post.
    will fix.

@ichwohneinloche
    good plan.
    -[r]

ugh.. now im starting to get impatient.. GF is asleep for the night and im not expecting any calls or text. Debating just going ahead and doing it. Is it possible to just update to the beta 3? i never tried. always did clean install but i have some stuff that i dont want to lose.

ugh.. now im starting to get impatient.. GF is asleep for the night and im not expecting any calls or text. Debating just going ahead and doing it. Is it possible to just update to the beta 3? i never tried. always did clean install but i have some stuff that i dont want to lose.
    No, you must restore (though you should be able to restore from backup). Remember, if you UDID has not been added by a developer, iTunes will not let you restore to the beta (and in case you were thinking of trying anyway, your phone will be kicked into recovery mode and you will have to restore to 3.1.3).

lol MacDevil i've been around long enough to know about the UDID been registered since 3.0 betas. I think im gonna do it in about 20 minutes or so.

Was running beta 1 and then upgraded to beta 2 and soo much stuff didnt work so i went back to 3.1.3 and waited but now beta 3 looks virtually perfect so i think i want it.

lol MacDevil i've been around long enough to know about the UDID been registered since 3.0 betas. I think im gonna do it in about 20 minutes or so.

Was running beta 1 and then upgraded to beta 2 and soo much stuff didnt work so i went back to 3.1.3 and waited but now beta 3 looks virtually perfect so i think i want it.
    Sorry your last post made it sound like you didn't know the drill

I'd say go ahead and do it. My phone has been sitting in lock mode for the last 35-40 mins and the battery has not drained at all. Usually when there is something draining the battery, the battery will drain even when in standby. (That being said, don't blame me if there do turn out to be battery issues with this beta )

yeah well i would be right there with you my friend but my VM is being a ***** right now.. Gonna keep trying.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast