Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: (3): iPhone OS 4.0 Beta 3 - all about this update + media

Another thing I noticed in the beta.. The "Locate Me" button in the Maps app has changed.
    iPhone 3G 4.2.1 - iPod touch 3G 5.0 Beta 1
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

iPhone? More like MyPhone ForumSnoBorderRK's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cashrox View Post
    I may have found a bug, if anyone else can confirm. When playing a youtube video I can't make the video controls (pause rewind fast forward) pop back up once they fade away, by tapping the screen. Also it appears to me that many apps that import pictures from the camera roll to edit them, don't work with beta 3.
    ive found a couple as well.
    theyre very minor but hey, theyre still there.

added some more to the front post!
    added the cosmetic changes as well.
    Last edited by ForumSnoBorderRK; 2010-05-07 at 02:44 AM.
    -[r]
    if you can, please [thank] me if i helped you or you liked what i said! :]

I also found a bug. I apologize if this is already in this thread...

1. Enter Phone app.
    2. Call someone.
    3. Put phone to ear.
    4. Screen goes black.
    5. Take phone away from ear.
    6. Screen does NOT come back!

You have to end the call by pressing the power button. Then press the power button to make the phone "think" it locked. Then press the power button again to get it back.

Hoo boy. This one's simple but a doozy.

Quote Originally Posted by dennipahmah View Post
    I also found a bug. I apologize if this is already in this thread...

1. Enter Phone app.
    2. Call someone.
    3. Put phone to ear.
    4. Screen goes black.
    5. Take phone away from ear.
    6. Screen does NOT come back!

You have to end the call by pressing the power button. Then press the power button to make the phone "think" it locked. Then press the power button again to get it back.

Hoo boy. This one's simple but a doozy.
    This doesn't happen on my 3Gs... Phone app works just fine.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rodiak View Post
    This doesn't happen on my 3Gs... Phone app works just fine.
    Same here. Mine works fine. I have not found too many bugs with this beta. Importing photos into or out of an app that uses your pictures, sometimes causes problems. Other than that, this seems to be quite stable.

If I back up in iTunes, will I be able to restore my contacts and apps and games etc... once Beta 3 is installed? Is there a special way to do it? I do have the SDK but I've been playing around with the iPad stuff and haven't done much with the iPhone at this point.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

One thing I would like to see is the ability to prevent certain apps from staying in the multitask queue. I know when you open an app it saves the state it was in and does not really keep running, but it would be nice to prevent some from doing this. Some apps dont need it, so it would be nice to pick and choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperextension View Post
    Same here. Mine works fine. I have not found too many bugs with this beta. Importing photos into or out of an app that uses your pictures, sometimes causes problems. Other than that, this seems to be quite stable.
    Yeah, I really like the beta but I'm considering downgrading to 3.1.3 since a few apps don't seem to work with 4.0 (they just crash), also multitasking is mostly useless for now, and of course no jailbreak...

Thanks

my phone app works fine as well on my 3gs. so i guess that may be for very limited users.

@rodiak, this is true though, some apps do still crash, but thats more on the developers end at this point, and will indefinitely be upgraded in order to be compatible with 4.0 (just like they did last year with 3.0)

@hyperextension- that would be really nice, but then we would worry more about the multitasking feature, which is the last thing apple wants. steve jobs believes that having to worry about a task manager is a failed job (something along those lines) so they wanted to make it simple on purpose.

as far as some other updates, i will edit more bugs into the first post ive found. again they are small bugs, but they're there.
    also, a 4.0 beta 4 thread is pretty unlikely at this point, because it doesnt look like there would be enough to talk about anymore. beta 3 has lead me to believe that the last couple of firmware upgrades remaining will be virtually flawless. as it is already, this thread died out for 4 days because this beta alone is already very stable.

one more week of beta 3 still to go!
    -[r]

Quote Originally Posted by ForumSnoBorderRK View Post
    @hyperextension- that would be really nice, but then we would worry more about the multitasking feature, which is the last thing apple wants. steve jobs believes that having to worry about a task manager is a failed job (something along those lines) so they wanted to make it simple on purpose.
    I don't know...I think the current system is a failed job. By automatically backgrounding every app, Apple creating two problems. First of all, automatically backgrounding does slow down my phone if I let enough (12-15) apps get backgrounded. There is also the inevitable hit on battery life if there are too many apps running (though I suspect Apple has mitigated this through its seven special multitasking APIs).

The second problem is that having every app run in the background, the multitasking expose gets clogged very, very quickly. There is little point in having a way to quickly switch between apps if you have to sift through 15 apps in the multitasking expose to find the one you want. And really, is there any actual reason the Weather app has to run in the background after I've used it?

I'd much rather Apple give me the option to turn off automatic backgrounding in the settings. They could have an app run in the background if it is exited by holding the home button (and of course and app would be automatically backgrounded if you switch to another app via the multitasking expose). I'd be willing to give up voice control to have more control over multitasking. The sad fact is, by automatically backgrounding everything, Apple is forcing me to think about the apps running (because there are so many), which is the very thing it wanted to avoid.

Ok so I know I can't back up my phone unless I use the SDK once Beta 3 is installed but what about restoring data to it? Can I use iTunes to do that?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrt2 View Post
    Ok so I know I can't back up my phone unless I use the SDK once Beta 3 is installed but what about restoring data to it? Can I use iTunes to do that?
    you can always restore from your latest backup... the problem is that the backup may be really outdated so it might update your text message conversations to that date...

@macdevil..
    true, but as we both know that isnt the way they think!
    -[r]

If Apple just add the option to view youtube videos in high definition (like Android does), I will not have the need to jailbrake my iphone with 4.0

So apparently the camera is not 100% bug free yet. Tried to take a picture last night and my phone completely froze. I had to reset the phone and reboot. After that the camera worked fine again.

Also, I just noticed that the rotate photo option is nowhere to be found in the photos app in this build.

Less than a week until beta 4!

OK so I've been using beta 3 exclusively since it came out and I'm definitely seeing a decrease in battery life. For one, my 3Gs seems to be loosing about 7% of battery life overnight when the phone is in standby and after it has been fully charged... Has anybody else noticed this?
    Last edited by rodiak; 2010-05-16 at 11:53 PM.

I have. I'm routinely getting roughly an hour less battery life than I used to when I was running 3.1.2. I can still easily make it through the day on a full charge, so it hasn't been that big of a deal to me. I have also noticed that the battery will drain roughly 5-10% if left off the charger overnight.

I'm sure Apple will continue to improve the battery life issues with each beta. Though, I seem to remember the general release of 3.0 didn't have great battery life either. It wasn't until 3.1 that the battery life really seemed to be optimized. Hopefully that won't be the case with 4.0.

Also keep in mind that this firmware is all about multitasking, which will inevitably lead to a hit on battery life.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234