Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone OS 4.0 BETA 2 - All about this update

iPhone? More like MyPhone ForumSnoBorderRK's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPhone OS 4.0 BETA 2 - All about this update + video
    Whats up guys,
    okay so finally after installing OS 4.0 Beta 2, there are definitely quite a few noticeable changes! for example there is a cool transition between app switching, and the phone feels a LOT smoother. I cant wait to see the final product. Im hoping some of the other bugs will be fixed though, like battery drainage.

I will test it out a bit and see if this has been fixed with this update.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI30ER9Cg[/ame]

EVERYTHING WRITTEN IN RED IS A CURRENT SOFTWARE BUG.
    EVERYTHING WRITTEN IN GREEN WAS AN OLD SOFTWARE BUG THAT HAS BEEN FIXED.

first half hour of usage:
    Definitely noticed one bug though- photos.app.
    It is all disarranged and screen shots arent being saved. thats a little weird, but I can live two weeks without it really effecting me. Screen shots can be taken through the developer's xcode.

- the places tab in photos.app does not let you view the pictures taken sometimes. It only tells you how many and shows a tiny thumbnail.

- messages.app search function finally works. it looks really cool when you search for a text and it leads you to the right one.

- when apps are clicked down, they are darker than normal, so you can distinguish better than you're hitting something.

- in photos.app, "places" tab finally works. It actually remember where I took photos in the past with my 3GS. That is pretty cool. Wish I could take screenshots..... lol hahaha.

- battery already seems like its not as bad as it was in beta 1. it usually would have already significantly gone down by now. -- will update on that one though first.

- messages.app bubbles look a little weirder, like a dark line on the top rim of every bubble. its weird how i notice all these small things.

- multitasking works a lot nicer than before! and i can DEFINITELY see a significant notice within quickly switching apps. Its not crashing, first of all (like it used to be on beta 1) and secondly, right when I switch to an app, it immediately is working, unlike beta 1.

- gamecenter.app is remodeled a bit. looks cleaner. no longer in sandbox mode??

- all apps load SIGNIFICANTLY faster. The next iphone will really be like no loading times at all i think.

- accessibility options in settings.app adds a font size feature to all of its apps. I dont remember that being there before.

rest of the first day
    - definitely no more battery issues. thank god.

- definitely no more crashing problems.
    these two were by far the biggest issues for me on beta 1 and they're nowhere to be found right now, so im pretty thankful.

- safari url area looks different when typing a url to go to a website.

- same goes along for native google searching through safari.

- setting wallpaper through settings looks different.

- camera.app is totally messed up. does not save photos or videos, if you can even record a video.

day two and beyond + other's input
    - zoom bar in camera.app no longer rotates with you as you rotate the camera. it is held on the bottom of the screen and remains there no matter which way you're holding the phone.

(kakolon) - after entering lockscreen passcode, phone frequently freezes for a few seconds before unlocking

- option to always delete (and not archive) messages in the mail application's settings is now available (for gmail)

- character count function for messages.app immediately starts counting, rather than before where it started counting after a few lines of text.

- youtube.app can now display videos in both horizontal and vertical modes.

- youtube.app continues video play where it left off when switching to another app and back (within 10 minutes, of course)

- closing an app in the multitasking expose actually completely kills the app, as if you freshly turned on the device; i.e. safari- opening after ending application starts clean at bookmarks/history homepage.

- can not save photos from safari.app (totally forgot about this one)

- double tapping home button at lockscreen allows for iPod controls. double tapping home button at homescreen only brings up multitasking expose. No options to change this

- more about the bugs of the photos.app:
    * "all Imported" pictures folder in photos.app allows you to delete, even though it is not counted as part of your overall "Photo Library" pictures folder (where you can not delete, only share).
    * the EVENTS tab sorted out photos in folders by times ive synced phone in between short periods of photographs taken. This should be fixed so you can edit it in iTunes and sort it out into events, while leaving your camera roll photos the same as it always has been.
    * as of right now, my "Camera Roll" folder only contains 9 photos, of which all were taken by my iPhone 3G. All 3GS photos were moved over to "All Imported" folder.

- highlighting lines of text in messages.app makes font size smaller under magnifying glass so you can see more of what you highlight.

- takes less time to fully charge battery (?) battery is charged faster
    ^ can ANYBODY confirm this for me? my phone was completely drained of battery at 2:15, and its fully charged now at 3:30.

- appstore.app requires you to connect to itunes to update applications. it also gives you the option to update through wifi, and even though it is turned on and connected, it still does not work and comes up with the same error, "must connect to iTunes or have a WiFi connection"

- typing too fast in messages.app causes phone to lag. symptoms also occur in other apps that require typing.

- voice memos.app does not record / save.

if you have questions about this update, let me know, ill take a look at it.

what i think after using it for a while (updated april 23 @ 2:25am)
    much better than beta 1. although the camera and photos applications are not working properly, im much better off with this beta than the last one. the last one caused my phone to crash a million and a half times, not to mention the battery life-- which was horrendous. both of those problems completely vanished with this beta. the multitasking is really nice-- i use it ALL the time at this point and dont know how i have gone without it before. it truly is a huge timesaver. it is also MUCH more effective than it was in beta 1 for me.

hopefully beta 3 will have super minor bugs. they will most likely fix the camera and photos applications because those are the biggest problem of this beta. anyone who is super eager to update, hold off on doing so till later betas, at least beta 3. keep in mind its a pain to downgrade, and when you do downgrade, understand that your baseband is forever upgraded-- meaning there is no carrier unlock for you at this time. good luck and have fun.
    Last edited by ForumSnoBorderRK; 2010-04-29 at 08:26 AM.
    -[r]
    if you can, please [thank] me if i helped you or you liked what i said! :]

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ForumSnoBorderRK For This Useful Post:

Bhavinjpatel1 (2010-04-21), carbona (2010-04-21), cbyerley (2010-04-21), David-S (2010-04-21), idigit (2010-04-21)

i've a dev spot, how do i download beta 2?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Google. People cannot link to beta software on this site because it is against the rules.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Where can I buy a tester spot? Does anyone have any spares ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Check the buy/sell/trade section of this forum. Do not sell them here, that is why we have a BST section for.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

look at e-bay for dev spots.

Thanks

exactly.
    dang. beta 2 is much better in my opinion. maybe this is because i had so many problems with beta 1.
    -[r]

Thanks
    Thanked 17,646 Times in 8,026 Posts

Camera App doesn't work, looks like the folder where pictures, screenshots etc are saved is named something different (instead of 100APPLE it is 800AAAA)which is probably causing the error.

Thanks

yep. i added that in there. ahhh thats kinda lame! wish the camera worked at least. whatever,
    you win some you lose some
    -[r]

Thanks

Looks like only a jailbreak will be able to fix this issue, or wait for beta 3. In the meantime one workaround for the camera I found is using a app called camera free fun. It allows the last picture taken to be emailed (I just emailed to myself) without having to save it to camera folder. Qik might work too for video but haven't tried it yet.

Awesome. I just installed it and restoring apps. Hopefully I can live with the camera issue for 2 weeks. It it kills me Ill go back to beta 1. Thank you for this post.

Thanks

I use bestcamera to take photos, you can even edit them after and send them to your email as well. its not free though.

@carbona: good luck man. i think the beta 1 expires in a couple weeks anyway.
    -[r]

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForumSnoBorderRK For This Useful Post:

carbona (2010-04-22), Simon (2010-04-21)

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, that is a better app for this situation, worth the couple bucks.

how do i get it? i have the original 4.0 beta

17. The Following User Says Thank You to tripdastati0n For This Useful Post:

xYurjevich (2010-04-29)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, that is a better app for this situation, worth the couple bucks.
    no worries!

Quote Originally Posted by tripdastati0n View Post
    how do i get it? i have the original 4.0 beta
    need to get it from a developer. cant post links. sorry, but good luck.
    -[r]

iPhone? More like MyPhone grassho's Avatar
    Thanks

My spotlight doesn't work

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grassho View Post
    My spotlight doesn't work
    thats weird. mine works perfectly fine...
    -[r]

iPhone? More like MyPhone grassho's Avatar
    Thanks

I type and it only shows search web and search wiki

In settings general home button I have all ticked
    Last edited by grassho; 2010-04-21 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

bst only
    Last edited by StealthBravo; 2010-04-21 at 07:53 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grassho View Post
    I type and it only shows search web and search wiki

In settings general home button I have all ticked
    dont know man. try reinstalling maybe?
    mine is working completely fine-- and it includes texts as well.
    -[r]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast