Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Newcomer - with so many questions

Default Newcomer - with so many questions
    Hi, I'm a newcomer to the iPhone community. I just bought my iphone through the at&t website, and hope to mess with it soon. These questions are results from searching and looking everywhere.

What firmware will my iPhone be when I get it? I bought it through the at&t site.

I don't plan on unlocking it, but I do want to jailbreak it so I can install some killer 3rd party apps. However, I don't want to void the warranty or get screwed over or something.

Would the iTunes restore function on the iPhone actually remove all traces of whatever you did? I've been seeing so many of these yes's and no's that I can't figure it out.

And what is the latest method of using 3rd party apps? As far as I know, the firmware with the SDK diden't come out yet... or maybe I'm wrong.

---[edit] Sorry, I forgot to ask what "native apps" mean -

Also, I want to make sure I'm up to date with the iPhone current events and was wondering which site would actually have every update imaginable (like pspupdates.qj.net for the psp).

Would anyone happen to know of the top iPhone updates sites? Or is it this

Finally, I wanted to know which communities were in the top of the list where I could hope to get quick answers and discuss with people about the iPhone and everything.

Thank you everyone!
    Last edited by seungki; 2008-03-17 at 12:43 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Your phone will most likely come with 1.1.4 firmware.

You will not void the warranty... all you have to do is restore and bring it back to Apple if you have a warranty issue.

When you jailbreak, the Installer program is the avenue to all 3rd party apps until June when the new firmware comes out in which case you can use AppStore (official apple) or Installer.

This site, Modmyifone, is the premier resource for all your support and community needs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

seungki (2008-03-17)

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Your phone will most likely come with 1.1.4 firmware.

You will not void the warranty... all you have to do is restore and bring it back to Apple if you have a warranty issue.

When you jailbreak, the Installer program is the avenue to all 3rd party apps until June when the new firmware comes out in which case you can use AppStore (official apple) or Installer.

This site, Modmyifone, is the premier resource for all your support and community needs.
    Thank you so much for the fast response!

To go further on the firmware answer - the wiki guide on 1.14 is wrong right? B/c it says that 1.14 is not yet unlocked but the forums says it's unlocked.

To go further on the restore answer - will it actually fully erase and restore my iPhone and do I use the standard iTunes restore for it? (Not b/c of warranty problems, but to feel assured if my iPhone bricks or something)

Where can I find out more about AppStore? By the name of it, it sounds like I have to buy apps from them...Lmao.

Although I appreciate your response, I need answers on what is the safest and latest way to install 3rd party apps (I.E. where I can I safely install Installer.app or etc) and what native apps mean.

Thank you again!

heres a video source for you about the appStore

Steve Jobs SDK Keynote : [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo9cKe_Fch8"]YouTube - Steve Jobs introduces the App store - iPhone SDK Keynote[/ame]

if your too lazy to click, the appStore is to be released in june???? and it will basicly add a new buttion on the 2.0 update with "appStore"
    Yes, you go and download app's at the developers price

Easiest thing to do to get installer.app on the phone is download a program to your computer (i.e. ZiPhone) and it has a few options of how you want to hack your phone (i.e jailbreak OR jailbreak and unlock) once you jailbreak the phone installer.app is installed and the rest of the modding and adding apps is done within the phone...

Native App - via installer (goes on the phone)

Apps - Web apps, essentially its a webpage designed for the phone as an app (no jailbreak needed)

Note: just bought one tooo.... 4 days away from getting in mail

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mrkitt3n For This Useful Post:

seungki (2008-03-17)

Quote Originally Posted by mrkitt3n View Post
    heres a video source for you about the appStore

Steve Jobs SDK Keynote : YouTube - Steve Jobs introduces the App store - iPhone SDK Keynote

if your too lazy to click, the appStore is to be released in june???? and it will basicly add a new buttion on the 2.0 update with "appStore"
    Yes, you go and download app's at the developers price

Easiest thing to do to get installer.app on the phone is download a program to your computer (i.e. ZiPhone) and it has a few options of how you want to hack your phone (i.e jailbreak OR jailbreak and unlock) once you jailbreak the phone installer.app is installed and the rest of the modding and adding apps is done within the phone...

Native App - via installer (goes on the phone)

Apps - Web apps, essentially its a webpage designed for the phone as an app (no jailbreak needed)

Note: just bought one tooo.... 4 days away from getting in mail

Hehe I get to beat you by 2 I thought at&t sends it in 2 days, not 4?

Anyways thanks for the sweet reply - that answered a ton of my questions, and I feel safer and better.

Is ziphone.org the official ziphone site? Just wanted to make sure.

So who knows about the whole restore thing? Just to quote myself
    To go further on the restore answer - will it actually fully erase and restore my iPhone and do I use the standard iTunes restore for it? (Not b/c of warranty problems, but to feel assured if my iPhone bricks or something)
    Also when you update to the official firmwares and stuff, do you need to restore so Apple doesn't catch you jailbreaking?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Restoring the phone will erase everything and reinstall the factory settings.

www.ziphone.org is the official site.

Jailbreaking is not illegal so you don't have to worry about apple "catching" you doing anything. Unless you have a warranty issue i woudn't even worry about all the technicalities.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

seungki (2008-03-17)

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Restoring the phone will erase everything and reinstall the factory settings.

www.ziphone.org is the official site.

Jailbreaking is not illegal so you don't have to worry about apple "catching" you doing anything. Unless you have a warranty issue i woudn't even worry about all the technicalities.
    I know it isn't illegal, but I'm wondering how you would update to the latest official firmwares and everything - I read on the news that Apple updates would screw over jailbroken phones.

seungki

You have at least two great choices to jailbreak your phone.

1. ZiPhone...45 seconds is all it takes here. The graphical user interface (GUI) makes it easy to pick and choose what you want to do....One problem with Ziphone I have been hearing. That the new iPhones with 4.6BL (yours will have 4.6BL) get permanently changed to 3.9, with no current way to software upgrade back to 4.6. No one is sure if Apple can check that, so your best bet might be to use iPlus 2.0.

2. iPlus 2.0...2.5 minutes and you will have a jailbroken phone with all the necessary apps and infrastructure needed for 3rd party apps. You will get
    BSD subsystem
    Open SSH
    Installer
    Terminal VT100
    Google these to see what they are.
    the most current fixes and patches for the above mentioned.

Best of all, for the new phones like yours, it loads a fake 3.9BL that can be reversed later, should you need to take it to the Apple store. However, there is no GUI, so you may need to follow the iclarified.com tutorial. iclarified will have links to everything you need to download in the tutorial.

My suggestion is for you to use iPlus 2.0.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jslappa For This Useful Post:

seungki (2008-03-17)

Quote Originally Posted by jslappa View Post
    seungki

You have at least two great choices to jailbreak your phone.

1. ZiPhone...45 seconds is all it takes here. The graphical user interface (GUI) makes it easy to pick and choose what you want to do....One problem with Ziphone I have been hearing. That the new iPhones with 4.6BL (yours will have 4.6BL) get permanently changed to 3.9, with no current way to software upgrade back to 4.6. No one is sure if Apple can check that, so your best bet might be to use iPlus 2.0.

2. iPlus 2.0...2.5 minutes and you will have a jailbroken phone with all the necessary apps and infrastructure needed for 3rd party apps. You will get
    BSD subsystem
    Open SSH
    Installer
    Terminal VT100
    Google these to see what they are.
    the most current fixes and patches for the above mentioned.

Best of all, for the new phones like yours, it loads a fake 3.9BL that can be reversed later, should you need to take it to the Apple store. However, there is no GUI, so you may need to follow the iclarified.com tutorial. iclarified will have links to everything you need to download in the tutorial.

My suggestion is for you to use iPlus 2.0.
    Thank you!

I really can't wait for my iPhone to arrive by my doorsteps, now that I know it's going to be safe and alright.

I wonder what the hype is over ZiPhone then, when iPlus handles it much more efficiently? Maybe people don't care about their BL going down...