Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Battery not holding a charge

Default Battery not holding a charge
    I've had my iPhone 3GS since launch and the battery has been great until recently. It drains rapidly without me even using it. Sometimes I can have the phone locked in my pocket and 20 mins later it has somehow lost 7-8% of it's battery charge.

I have the phone jailbroken with Blackrain and I know there are no processes running in the background. Let it be also noted that I have the original apple wall charger, but an aftermarket usb cable (not original Apple USB cable). I charge my phone every night when I sleep.

Just for some additional information from the Usage section:
    Time since last full charge
    Usage: 1 minute
    Standby: 2 Hourse, 43 minutes
    Battery Percentage: 87%

is this normal?

iPhone? More like MyPhone mahgninnuc93's Avatar
    Thanks

Last time that happened to me I had to do a factory restore. After doing that I didn't jailbreak for a few days and my battery issues were resolved.

After jailbreaking again my battery is still fine. I know this isn't the answer you were looking for, but it's what worked for me.

That's one solution that I may have to think of.

If the battery failed though and Apple wants to replace it, I think they will most likely update me to 3.1.3 which would be bad

Thanks

Try to restore it yet and see what happens. That way you don't have to do the Apple replacement thing. Otherwise you may be at the mercy of Apple.

Thanks

Agh, you can gold off a little while, my phone only lasts about 2 hours on a full charge

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Effenpig! View Post
    Agh, you can gold off a little while, my phone only lasts about 2 hours on a full charge
    2 hours.....WOW, your getting top of the line battery usage LOL
    If I have helped you...please say Thanks....

If I have not....don't say anything..just walk away very slowly

I still have to restore back to original factory settings because my phone dropped from 100% to 75% in half an hour without using it.

Thanks

I would restore it, and I know this is painful, but don't jailbreak or unlock unless you really have to and see how the battery usage is then.

Did you put a particular app on before the battery issue? Either app store or cydia? If you did then try taking that off if you remember which one.
    If I have helped you...please say Thanks....

If I have not....don't say anything..just walk away very slowly

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mahgninnuc93 For This Useful Post:

JRhodes88 (2010-03-31)

Quote Originally Posted by mahgninnuc93 View Post
    I would restore it, and I know this is painful, but don't jailbreak or unlock unless you really have to and see how the battery usage is then.

Did you put a particular app on before the battery issue? Either app store or cydia? If you did then try taking that off if you remember which one.
    It won't be that painful to test it out un-jailbroken for a day or two. I have deleted a couple of apps that i downloaded recently, but am not sure if it has helped or not.

I do have iLocalis installed and just set the location check time down.

------------------------UPDATE

Ok well I restored it last night, but I did a restore from previous backup and I think the problem is still there.

Do you think I should start as new instead of restoring from a backup? I have already manually saved all photos and videos, and sync'd my contacts to the address book. I should be good right?

Or should I just buy a battery and try to replace it myself?
    Last edited by JRhodes88; 2010-04-01 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

If your nit comfortable doing the repair yourself you could send it to a non-apple repair shop. Some of the forum members do repairs too.

Quote Originally Posted by JRhodes88 View Post
    It won't be that painful to test it out un-jailbroken for a day or two. I have deleted a couple of apps that i downloaded recently, but am not sure if it has helped or not.

I do have iLocalis installed and just set the location check time down.

------------------------UPDATE

Ok well I restored it last night, but I did a restore from previous backup and I think the problem is still there.

Do you think I should start as new instead of restoring from a backup? I have already manually saved all photos and videos, and sync'd my contacts to the address book. I should be good right?

Or should I just buy a battery and try to replace it myself?
    Always setup as new when you are having problems like this.

http://modmyi.com/forums/apple-appst...ved-games.html

Check out my tutorial on how to save your appstore app data
    Last edited by moon#pie; 2010-04-01 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

13. The Following User Says Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

JRhodes88 (2010-04-01)

Thanks! I'm going to try that out, but if that doesn't work it out to buy a new battery, which doesnt seem to difficult to do yourself

Thanks

Just watch out for that number 3 connector and the screw under the "do not remove" sticker. If you have to use any kind of force you are doing it wrong!!

Just wanted to let everyone know that the setup as a new iPhone worked and the battery seems to be holding a charge like normal now. Now back to jailbreaking...