Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Erasing iphone but preserving unlock/jailbreak

Default Erasing iphone but preserving unlock/jailbreak
    I'm getting a new 3GS, under contract. I'm handing down my 3G phone to my wife. But I want to erase my data so she can start from scratch.

The Apple method of
    Tap Settings.
    Tap General.
    Tap Reset.
    Tap Erase All Content and Settings*.

Looks like it may cause a lot of problems.

My current plan is to restore the phone using the custom IPSW that I created the first (and last) time I unlocked/jailbroke the phone using Pwanage tool. I've carefully saved this!

q's:
    1. Is my assessment of the apple method correct - ie don't do it this way?
    2. Can I just go straight to DFU mode then restore from Itunes?
    3. Can't remember - but once it's restored do you then sync - or does it synch automatically?
    4. Once I've done this then she can then do her first sync with her iTunes without any issues?

With my new phone I think I just sync with iTunes and it will restore all my data to the new phone (though I guess not the jailbroken apps - the new phone will undoubtably come with the latest greatest firmware)

regards

snapper_uk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Resetting the settings will make you restore. Does she want the jailbreak or need it?

It is best to when you first sync not to do it from a backup. Set up as new device. After that point you can sync your information.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Does she want the jailbreak or need it?
    I think she would like to be able to test some of the apps - but doesn't need it.

Does defiantly need the unlock as the phone is now in the UK and was originally a T-mobile Germany model - though I'd prob. pay to unlock it if I could. (aside - is there any way of working out where the home carrier is from the serial number?).

This might sound dumb, but lets face it - most of us only do this once or twice!
    When I set up as a new phone, then sync my data, will the new phone get all my purchased apps?

Thanks for your help.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You can't really go wrong if you use the custom firmware you made the last time. Just remember to set it up as new device.

You're right that you should avoid the Apple restore as it will make you go to 3.1.3 which can't be unlocked.

Just to answer your questions step-by-step:
    1. Correct, don't do it that way.
    2. You shouldn't need to put the phone in DFU mode. Simply shift-restore to the custom firmware while your phone is turned on and sitting on the springboard.
    3. It'll ask you if you want to sync from previous backup or if you want to set it up as a new phone. You should choose to set it up as new phone.
    4. Are you using the same iTunes? I don't know if it causes problem but I could see it do. If you use separate computers, you should do the shift-restore on her computer.

Thanks

try syncing it to a new library, should erase all songs and apps but keep jailbreak

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

shmootz (2010-06-21), snapper_uk (2010-03-16)

Thanks. Almost clear now.

Re 4. No - not using the same iTunes. In fact it's on a different computer. So that's good. But I'm a Mac and she's a PC (to paraphrase a famous advert - though she' nicer than most PC's!).

Can you transfer an IPSW from a Mac to a PC without any problems? My head tells me you should be able to - but......

Thanks

perfectly and flawlessly transfer ipsw's from planet earth to mars with not troubles

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Or in a more short answer: yes