Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Speed safari up x3

iPhone? More like MyPhone mahgninnuc93's Avatar
    Thanks

@ ajtoce: When you click on the icon you will not see anything special happen. Did you reboot your iPhone?

@ newiPhone27, you have to add the following repo to cydia: ihackmyi, yes click it screen flash and done.

And before Max tells you it's not working go to http://welcome.opendns.com/ if you get to the main page it's working. If you do not and you get an oops page it's not. Try again.
    Last edited by mahgninnuc93; 2010-03-31 at 05:45 PM.
    If I have helped you...please say Thanks....

If I have not....don't say anything..just walk away very slowly

Not confuse on how to install it, confused by the conflicting reports. Unfortunately for me it doesn't seem to work

Yeah I followed the instructions you guys (or gals i guess lol) made. Still didn't work. I guess I will just have to wait patiently until victis or one of the people that got it to work makes a foolproof cydia package.

Lightbulb Important Testing Notes
    Important Note While Testing: When running the http://welcome.opendns.com test make sure you are on 3G/edge and NOT connected to your WIFI connection! (Turn off WIFI, also go to settings - safari - clear cookies & cache before you run the above test on 3g/EDGE)

Because: If you previously set up OpenDNS on your wireless connection (router) at home/work and you run this test while connected to that WIFI (rather than your 3G/Edge connection you will get the proper OpenDNS page whether this hack is working or not... (because your router will give the correct DNS servers via DHCP to your phone when connected via WIFI.)

EDIT: Continued...

Just found out that this has been an issue since Iphone OS v1&v2. User java.com created a solution to do exactly what we are trying and failing to do (however, it does not work for OS v3) He stated the same thing that we have found: "iPhone did not use the unix legacy /etc/resolv.conf for name resolution. The networking information for iPhone are kept in the dynamic store."
    Proposed temporary DNS fix to New World GPRS problem - uDơDHD

In other words the DNS servers are set dynamically when getting DHCP request from 3g/Edge data server.

So we either get java.com to update his program for OS v3 for us or someone smart enough duplicates the same thing (victis?, anyone?) He posted some of his source for the fix in that forum (linked above.)

Interestingly it seems he also made an app store app that does provide this solution for v3. However, (since it is an app store app) you have to open the app and enable OpdenDNS every time you start a new connection (or your connection changes) "ad hoc change" to keep your DNS settings...
    (however, his netinfo app seems to have disappeared from the app store)
    App Store : NetInfo (with adhoc change of DNS and/or proxy) - Hackint0sh
    iTunes Store - 0942com
    Last edited by maxrogers; 2010-03-31 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

mahgninnuc93, can you do the other test max outlined whereby you set a bad address in the resolv.conf file: if it is working properly it should fail to find ANY websites.

Now I'm more confused

I did it and thought my sarari was zipping until I did the test and got the OOPS message. I swear that it is going faster though. Is this possible? I even did a test with my wifes phone and it seems to be significantly faster. Any thoughts?

Newiphone27: can you try a speed test comparison between an iphone with the tweak and one without? Maybe take a video of them side by side as they both try and load the same page?

Max: I saw all of that java.com stuff months ago, sounds like a pretty weak attempt, although I'm no iPhone coder. I talked to Jay Sauric and Big Boss about this and they both indicated it should be possible, if not easy. I hope this abandoned effort by java.com doesn't discourage Victis or others from getting this working
    Last edited by petepango; 2010-04-01 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by petepango View Post
    Max: I saw all of that java.com stuff months ago, sounds like a pretty weak attempt, although I'm no iPhone coder. I talked to Jay Sauric and Big Boss about this and they both indicated it should be possible, if not easy. I hope this abandoned effort by java.com doesn't discourage Victis or others from getting this working
    Agreed! Very doable. I didn't mean to discourage. I would also guess that it would be fairly trivial for someone in the know. I was trying a few things with my limited knowledge today based on this:
    Setting up djbdns on Mac OS X

However, I seemed to find that it only affected the wifi connection (not 3G/Edge.) I suppose if we could find something similar for the Cell Data connection we could force our DNS... But it is a little over my head at the moment. I will continue to tinker but we need someone with more knowledge. I am confident someone will step forward. Jay or Big Boss might be able to point us in the right direction!?

Victis: From your post on your iPhone tweaks section, it sounds like you have lost some interest in development on the openDNS tweak app. I hope you finish it, right now we are unsure if it is doing anything at all, and I think this would be a breakthrough app. Thanks for all your work so far!

No I have deff not lost interest with it... infact im working hard to figure out how to make the whole system use this tweek not just the Unix shell ...

im working on it still, i just need a new MacBook or a copy for the MacOS x86 because one of my harddrives died!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to victis For This Useful Post:

petepango (2010-04-01)

Ok i think i found the system file in control of making apps run on the resolv.conf instead of the carriers DNS...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to victis For This Useful Post:

petepango (2010-04-04)

Quote Originally Posted by victis View Post
    Ok i think i found the system file in control of making apps run on the resolv.conf instead of the carriers DNS...
    Great job victis! Keep us updated!!!

Victis that sounds like it is a LEAP in the right direction! Great work!

Hey I officially quit ModmyI guys so please just PM me and I will give you the site where I will be posting my updates......sorry the rules here are absurd.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to victis For This Useful Post:

petepango (2010-04-04)

Victis I pmd you

Hey I officially quit ModmyI guys so please just PM me and I will give you the site where I will be posting my updates......sorry the rules here are absurd.

the site is in my acct details under homepage

Update.... I found out where the DNS request come from and it is very random and frustrating not consistant... I am currently trying to edit this preference list.... BTW I finally got MacOSx in VMware but its giving me problems with the Iphone SDK I have 10.5.5 and I had to edit the System/Library/coreservices/Systemversion.plist
    It installed the SDK but got suck at the installation of GCC 4.0 and it took like 8 hours to install the other parts of the SDK I said up almost all night....

If anyone can give me a link for the MacOSx 10.6.3 for x86 it would be greatly appreciated and you will be doing you part in solving this DNS issue and also a secret project I am working on!!!

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

there is so many versions of osx for 86x, it all depends on your hardware, i have tried many many times to no avail
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast