Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Speed safari up x3

Quote Originally Posted by corkey20000 View Post
    Just coming back to say thank you!!!! This made such a huge improvement on my 3.1.2 T-Mobile 2G. I've never seen this phone move so snappy on the browser.
    corkey20000, did you visit http://welcome.opendns.com to make sure that it is working? If so you will get an OpenDNS page that confirms it rather than a page that from OpenDNS that says "Oops... etc.

I get the error.....but my browsing speed is dramatically increased.

Default More Info
    I just found out that DNS IS routing through OpenDNS for nslookup at least (maybe this is because nslookup goes to osx/linux defaults for DNS server info...) see below:
    Code:
    CELL:~ root# nslookup
    > set debug
    > www.google.com
    Server:		208.67.222.222
    Address:	208.67.222.222#53

------------
        QUESTIONS:
    	www.google.com, type = A, class = IN
        ANSWERS:
        ->  www.google.com
    	canonical name = google.navigation.opendns.com.
        ->  google.navigation.opendns.com
    	internet address = 208.67.219.230
        ->  google.navigation.opendns.com
    	internet address = 208.67.219.231
        AUTHORITY RECORDS:
        ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
    ------------
    Non-authoritative answer:
    www.google.com	canonical name = google.navigation.opendns.com.
    Name:	google.navigation.opendns.com
    Address: 208.67.219.230
    Name:	google.navigation.opendns.com
    Address: 208.67.219.231
    However, I am still thinking that safari and maybe all other apps are not using the resolv.conf DNS server addresses but rather DNS server addresses from somewhere else in the system...

I am thinking that the DNS information has be carrier specific (AT&T etc.) So... maybe someone who has more knowledge can chime in on how the AT&T DNS information is sourced (probably along with all other carrier settings like 3G access settings etc would be my guess...)

EDIT: Additional Testing:

I am continuing to confirm that these DNS settings are not being used. I set false DNS servers and rebooted. DNS resolution worked fine in safari and other apps. It only failed using nslookup in terminal...

The iPhone is not using this method to retrieve DNS servers. Anyone have a guess on where it is getting it's server settings from? Is it hardcoded somewhere?
    Last edited by maxrogers; 2010-03-30 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

if its not working, then why are people reporting speed increases? is it just in your guys heads lol?

Quote Originally Posted by maxrogers View Post
    EDIT: Deleted previous post because I figured out what was wrong. See below:

I figured out the problem with the cydia install:

The resolvconf.plist file in /Library/LaunchDaemons needs root:wheel ownership to execute (see it is mobile:staff below right after cydia install: )
    Code:
    CELL:/Library/LaunchDaemons root# ls -l
    total 24
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root   wheel 111 Mar 29 12:10 :2e_resolvconf.plist
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root   wheel 999 Jan  1  2008 com.openssh.sshd.plist
    -rw-r--r-- 1 mobile staff 442 Mar 18 11:55 resolvconf.plist
    Run:
    chown -R root:wheel /Library/LaunchDaemons/resolvconf.plist
    to fix:
    Code:
    CELL:/Library/LaunchDaemons root# ls -l
    total 24
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 111 Mar 29 12:10 :2e_resolvconf.plist
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 999 Jan  1  2008 com.openssh.sshd.plist
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 442 Mar 18 11:55 resolvconf.plist
    After that change, the resolv.conf file gets copied to /var/run on reboot correctly!

If you are wondering if your cydia install is working or not after rebooting once: open mobile terminal or ssh into your phone and type:
    cat /var/run/resolv.conf

If you get this than it isn't working and you need the above fix:
    Code:
    CELL:/Library/LaunchDaemons root# cat: /var/run/resolv.conf: No such file or directory
    If you get this than yours is working correctly:
    Code:
    CELL:/Library/LaunchDaemons root# cat /var/run/resolv.conf
    nameserver 208.67.220.220
    nameserver 208.67.220.222
    This should get the cydia install working correctly until victus releases v2.0 for us!

However, is anyone getting the OpenDNS tests to correctly verify that we are using OpenDNS's DNS Servers??? I am NOT. I do not think that at least mobile safari is using these DNS Server settings based on this file! If you go to http://welcome.opendns.com you should get a confirmation that you are using OpenDNS. I don't, I get the "Oops... You aren't using OpenDNS yet." message!!! Anyone get something different?!?!

Thanks again victus!!! Are you getting a confirmed message from OpenDNS??
    I ran your terminal script chown -R root:wheel /Library/LaunchDaemons/resolvconf.plist in terminal
    .. when i ran the first script it went through what seemed like every file all I could read is no permission to change file on all of the stuff running in terminal . Is this normal I rebooted and now cant get terminal to stay open or cydia it crashes back to spring board any ideas on what i can do .

so far its only cydia and terminal I cant open but thats a big deal I think I am looking at a restore please be careful if you dont know what you are doing or you may end up with this if anyone can suggest anything please let me know also 3.1.2 att 2g ----i just rebooted and cydia opened for 1 sec all i could read was
    could not open lock file 3 /var/lib/dpkg/lock-open 13: permission denied
    Last edited by HOPPERSAN; 2010-03-30 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hoppersan, it should have been a quick change of ownership for just one file! If it went through a list of files than that means that you made an error in typing the command and changed the ownership for the entire directory tree that you ran it from!

Most likely a full restore is your only solution to completely correct the issue!

NOTE: I made a change to the chown command to make it safer for potential accidents like this!

Additional Note: As always be VERY VERY cautious when entering commands on your phone such as this. Be confident in the command and exactly what it does and make sure to enter it correctly!

thanks man ..just for us new to this maybe you could make the spaces and commands in terminal just a little clearer then again they probably make sense to everyone else

Thanks

I get the "oops" message too

I use a local carrier, not AT&T so I'm notvsure if this tweak even applies to me in the first place?

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

there is a def speed increase, just because your dns test didnt comeback dosent mean its not working, cuz every one iv heard it is moving way faster
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Quote Originally Posted by screamforme02 View Post
    there is a def speed increase, just because your dns test didnt comeback dosent mean its not working, cuz every one iv heard it is moving way faster
    Nope, victus has now also confirmed that it is not working for apps (only shell/terminal):
    OpenDNS on 3g edge

If you did the cydia install (not manual install) you can verify that it is not working yourself by modifying /Applications/resolvconf.app/resolv.conf with false DNS servers (any fake DNS server will work for example: 555.555.555.555 and 666.666.666.666) then just reboot. If this hack actually worked than name resolution would not work on your phone (no web pages would pull up or work at all unless you typed in their ip address...)

However, you will find that everything still works out just great (because this hack doesn't work for apps/system and your phone is still using your cell providers DNS for name lookups!) The only thing that we have confirmed will fail using this test is nslookups in terminal.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mahgninnuc93's Avatar
    Thanks

Working fine for me. At least in Safari. And that's all good
    If I have helped you...please say Thanks....

If I have not....don't say anything..just walk away very slowly

Quote Originally Posted by mahgninnuc93 View Post
    Working fine for me. At least in Safari. And that's all good
    If you are getting the "Oops..." page when you go to:
    http://welcome.opendns.com
    than it is not working. You are using the same DNS servers you have been...

Quote Originally Posted by Effenpig! View Post
    I get the "oops" message too

I use a local carrier, not AT&T so I'm notvsure if this tweak even applies to me in the first place?
    It does/would apply to every carrier (switching your carrier's DNS to OpenDNS.) However, it still isn't working... hopefully victis or someone can figure out a solution that works!
    Last edited by maxrogers; 2010-03-31 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I downloade the app of cydia but it doesn't open. Am I missing something?

Thanks

[QUOTE=maxrogers;5178163]If you are getting the "Oops..." page when you go to:
    http://welcome.opendns.com
    than it is not working. You are using the same DNS servers you have been...

Max,

I"m not getting the oops....I"m getting to the proper page. As I said, it works fine for me.... High Speed Low Drag!!! Thanks for looking out though!

To mahgninnuc93:

Is there any special setting you are inputting to make the welcome page work through edge/3g and not wifi or did it just work right after you installed the cydia app?

Thanks

INstalled through Cydia, turned the phone off then back on (not just respring). Hit the icon and away it went. Nothing else. Either it worked or I'm on some type of long lasting crack that makes the safari on my iphone open pages it shouldnt and go faster

im confused
    Last edited by floppy_joe; 2010-03-31 at 07:41 AM.

Thanks

install from cydia and reboot, simples
    If I've helped you remember to say

Thanks

Yeah....what he (dantheman) said LOL

I must be slow because i cant find in cydia?? Do i need to have something else installed first? Running 3gs 3.1.2 Thanks guys

yea i was up too late and got up too early!! Got it. What is supposed to happen after reboot and clicking icon? Just a screen flash and its done?
    Last edited by Newiphone27; 2010-03-31 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast