Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: RYP log keeps writing "wrote zero bytes" continuously

Quote Originally Posted by Stratoukos View Post
    Hey, I think we suffer from the same thing. Although generally my iPhone's battery lasts for more than a day, yesterday it started burning through it really fast. Today it continued to burn through the battery and I also got the low disk space error, with over 18GB under "other". Searching around in my iPhone I found rockapp_2010-03-16.log in /private/var/mobile/Library/RYP/logs which was almost 17GB! Deleting it will probably solve your problem. I would also go into Cydia or Rock to rebuild the apt database. Right now I'm downloading it from my iPhone to see what exactly went wrong and for some reason Cydia and Rock crash on launch (I hope that deleting the file will fix that) so I can't say for sure if this fixes the problem permanently. The weird thing is that I have Rock on my iPhone for some six months and this is the first time it does something like this.

By the way, did you also had battery problems before the space filled up?
    Dude, you are describing my exact problems. Battery dies quickly, rock and cydia crash to desktop etc. let me know if you fix it please. I am using diskaid to browse the iphone and i am trying to open up the logs folder but it is taking a long time. i right clicked it and it is saying its using 6gb so that is definitly the issue. just hope I can fix these damn crashes. I almost want to do a fresh restore just to make everything speedier but am scared ill lose something such as contacts and apps. does anyone have any experience with aptbackup - apparently it backsup all your jailbroken apps.
    Last edited by seancky2; 2010-03-16 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

You just delete the log file and your problem is fixed

Yea i did that, space is back but cydia and other apps are still crashing to homescreen instantly.

I have decided to just do a complete restore or whatever. What is the best way going about this? I have everything I need backed up. When I go in iTunes to restore it seems like it is forcing me to go to v3.1.3 How can I restore it and upgrade only to v3.1.2?

Last edited by seancky2; 2010-03-16 at 10:27 PM.

well guys i have the same problem as 'philhu' so yeah. MY bluetooth is crossed out!, thank god its not only me and my apps dont work, ones like appstore and mail work and i can use them EXCEPT Appstore doesn't let me download apps and otherwise i don't know, i can still text thank god. Rock and every other app lods and crashes. but facebook works... and Natwest wheras IM+ and say FML just crash.. we need a fix for this restoring isn't currently an option.
    apple has just about broken even with the amount of iDevices i've bricked...

Thanks

I'm having this same issue. I couldn't find the source if the HUGE space eater so I just restored.... Held option when I clicked restore and reinstalled 3.1.2....

When I went to restore my rock apps using my rock id..... I had way more then an exceptable amount of issues installing apps.....then I couldn't get apps like catagories to work right.....

After a while of fiddling around with it i got everything back to normal but this whole rock issue must be in the app itself......

Everybody I know is running into this.....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

StealthBravo, how sure are you this works? Anyone else do this without problems? I have a 3GS so I cannot do the easy restore back to 3.1.2 and I refuse to loose my jailbreak...

Like to hear from others please!

Also does this fix the problem with connecting to iTunes? Sorry for all of the post everyone
    Last edited by SoccerStud49; 2010-03-16 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

How sure am I that deleting the log file fixes the issue? 100%

I had all the same issues and deleting the log file then a hard reset, had my phone working great

Quote Originally Posted by SoccerStud49 View Post
    StealthBravo, how sure are you this works? Anyone else do this without problems? I have a 3GS so I cannot do the easy restore back to 3.1.2 and I refuse to loose my jailbreak...

Like to hear from others please!

Also does this fix the problem with connecting to iTunes? Sorry for all of the post everyone
    Yes, deleting that log file definitly fixes it. Use the software diskaid if your on windows.

I deleted the file via SSH and updated RockApp, however now whenever I try to sync via itunes, it requires that I set up as a new phone or restore via a backup. Is there any way around this?

Thanks

Thanks

and now to clean up and do a nice merge

ok well, i deleted the log file, but cydia is acting really stupid. it sees there is an update for rockapp, and upon upgrading, it wants to install APR APT and all that stuff, so Icy saved the day there. but now my issue is that rock and cydia cant recognize my installed packages, which, in fact, are 250 (rock keeps asking me to install a backup, and i see the packages). so my question is, how can i get cydia/rock to understand/interpret which packages i have installed? cydia and icy are recognizing these:Base Structure, Bourne-Again SHell, bzip2, Core Utilities, Darwin Tools, Debian Packager, Diff Utilities, Essential, Find Utilities, firmware, grep, gzip, LZMA Utils, New Curses, OpenSSL, readline, RockApp, sed, shell-cmds, system-cmds, and Tape Archive. all of these are system things, as u can tell. plz help me. thanks
    Last edited by akash86; 2010-03-17 at 12:20 AM.

Just delete the .log file in RYP located under /private/var/mobile/Library/RYP/logs/rockapp_2010-03-15.log

then do a hard reset

Thats what i did and it worked for me (iPhone 2G 3.0.1, if you are asking)

EDIT: my sources and packages seem to be unaffected. my cydia doesn't crash either.
    Last edited by aznking1551; 2010-03-17 at 12:28 AM.

read it again, lol. i did delete it, and do a hard reset. its an iTouch 3g 3.1.2, so its tethered, and i used blackra1n upon boot, and nothing is recognizing my packages...-_- pissed off right now.

Try doing a full restore and when jailbreaking, install cydia only.

i cant do a full restore.........i couldnt even bother to think what would happen if i lost everything....

EDIT: this is what i had done. i received a popup that i had low disk space. i was puzzled cuz i last had 18.6GB free. using ifile, i tracked down the 18gb folder and narrowed it down via ifile. i found it was in the RYP folder, and then logs, then some .log file had 18gb. i was like what the heck? i, without having read this thread, opened the file using ifile and clicked edit, then accidentally pressed done. this zeroed out the file, making it zero bytes. i opened rock and it couldnt tell any of my packages. so at this point, if i uninstall, then reinstall rock, will it see all my apps? cydia cant see all my apps as of now...-.-
    Last edited by akash86; 2010-03-17 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by akash86 View Post
    i cant do a full restore.........i couldnt even bother to think what would happen if i lost everything....

EDIT: this is what i had done. i received a popup that i had low disk space. i was puzzled cuz i last had 18.6GB free. using ifile, i tracked down the 18gb folder and narrowed it down via ifile. i found it was in the RYP folder, and then logs, then some .log file had 18gb. i was like what the heck? i, without having read this thread, opened the file using ifile and clicked edit, then accidentally pressed done. this zeroed out the file, making it zero bytes. i opened rock and it couldnt tell any of my packages. so at this point, if i uninstall, then reinstall rock, will it see all my apps? cydia cant see all my apps as of now...-.-
    I didn't do that and it still happened to me. Cydia shows no packages and gives me an error saying something about an error that occured using redsnow or something, I used blackrain to jailbreak my 3gs on 3.0 a loooong time ago. It says I have to restore...Well I'm living without cydia until 4.0 :P Updating jailbroken devices is not fun.

Something similar happened to me. After deleting the file through ssh and then rebooting the phone came up but still said the space was gone. I think went into the rock app and tried the suggestions made on page 1 of this thread. After doing so and closing RYP I exited to the springboard and all of my app pages were blank besides a few scattered apps (all the default ones and like 6 seemingly random others). I checked immediately to see if they were hidden and they weren't, Puff sees them all just fine and a check through SSH shows me they are still there and the space still allocated to them. I tried several random things to get them all to show up again with no success. I even tried reinstalling a few of the items and now it just shows that I have double, and the app loads as new not recognizing settings from the other installed one.

Looks like at this point I have to restore now. I hate restoring my jailbroken phone, so not fun. At least I have all of my space back at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by sonics99 View Post
    Something similar happened to me. After deleting the file through ssh and then rebooting the phone came up but still said the space was gone. I think went into the rock app and tried the suggestions made on page 1 of this thread. After doing so and closing RYP I exited to the springboard and all of my app pages were blank besides a few scattered apps (all the default ones and like 6 seemingly random others). I checked immediately to see if they were hidden and they weren't, Puff sees them all just fine and a check through SSH shows me they are still there and the space still allocated to them. I tried several random things to get them all to show up again with no success. I even tried reinstalling a few of the items and now it just shows that I have double, and the app loads as new not recognizing settings from the other installed one.

Looks like at this point I have to restore now. I hate restoring my jailbroken phone, so not fun. At least I have all of my space back at this point.
    I deleted RYP using cydelete as cydia displays no packages and everytime I respring it reappears but doesn't load, just an icon. I also deleted the RYP folder if that means anything.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Mine did this two days in a row. It started filling my hard disc again yesterday AFTER the fix! I deleted the log file manually this time and now it working. The only problem I have now is that my phone won't recognize in iTunes anymore! Anyone know if this will fix or will I have to wait? I do not want to restore!

Quote Originally Posted by CaNe13 View Post
    Alright well i deleted the file that was sucking up all my free space on my iphone under rock app and now i got my 5GB back. Only thing is all my apps are still gone yet itunes says i got 700mb in apps on my iphone... question is where the hell are they and how do i get them back? without redownloading cause then ill just be using twice the space for the same apps...
    I
    Did u manage to solve this? Im having the same issue as you. have deleted the log file too. Apps are all gone but itunes says 4.5gb in use...... ; ; ; ; ; ; Can anyone help ??

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast