Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: RYP log keeps writing "wrote zero bytes" continuously

Can anyone confirm a successful fix for this ie: no slowing down of the iphone no bugs ect

don't you just love bein the guinnea pigs....
    apple has just about broken even with the amount of iDevices i've bricked...

with all of the 3rd party devs that use this site i would think some one would have come up with a fix by now ;/ or atleast taken more notice to it

So that explains my memory warnings and ridiculous battery drainage today.
    I had no clue why my battery was draining so fast. Then I got the memory warnings so I took a look at it through sbsettings and noticed the memory disappearing! So quick google search led me here. Saw all the posts were made today so I knew I wasn't the only one.

Thanks for the help everyone. Memory is back! Battery is normal, and Rock is uninstalled lol. Terrible morning. Lost percentages in seconds time. My phone died when it would have normally been 80+ percent at that time of day.
    Phew, problem solved.

FYI: There's more than 3 million registered devices using Rock. This is only affecting users with a specific repository (we haven't narrowed down which one it is) which had a corrupt BZIP'd Packages (APT list of packages) file. The root cause has been fixed in the latest RockApp (2.21.1). The log file will be deleted midnight tonight automatically.

Thanks for your understanding.
    Send iPhone System Log: Via any Intelliborn App -> Click Help / FAQs/ Support -> Scroll to bottom and click on red text at bottom.
    MyWi 4.0 - WiFi + USB Tethering on 3.x/4.x/5.x + Simple WiFi Router - Connect Laptops, Touches, + more!
    My3G - Facetime over 3G plus HiDef YouTube and more! Trick your iPhone into thinking it's on WiFi
    IntelliScreenX - iOS 5 Notification Center the way Apple wished it was.
    Tlert - View and Reply to SMS message within any app. Get rid of the ugly default alert messages!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to skeels For This Useful Post:

TLX317 (2010-03-16)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by psuskeels View Post
    Ok - fix is ready and should be out within the hour. Thanks for all the info
    Thanks for the fix, I'm updating it now.
    It's also good to know that I was not the only one who had this issue.
    What still bothers me, why did the log being updated even RYP app is not running?

Could you please also described the root cause of the issue?

Without experiencing the exact issue - I can hypothesize what happened:

There's a feature in RockApp --- Under Manage -> Settings. Check For Updates (Default is On). This allows Rock App to badge the SpringBoard when updates are available. This runs once a day (the time at which it runs varies by phone). This check got caught up in a bzip decompression of a corrupt bzip file from one of your self-added repositories (self-added = either via package install of a "repository" or manually typed in - the 6 default Rock Central repo's do not use bzip compression).

We've fixed the code to prevent this bzip issue from ever occurring as well as added an auto terminate after 1 minute of this process - so that given any unexpected situations in the future - the end result problem experienced will not reoccur (regardless of the cause of the issue).

If you're having an issue updating:
    * Easiest thing to do is reboot your phone.
    - If you don't have enough space to update still (not sure) after the reboot, perhaps the easiest thing to do is :
    - Go into RockApp and clear out your icon cache under Manage -> Settings -> Clear Cache.
    Last edited by skeels; 2010-03-15 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Added edit for those having an issue updating
    Send iPhone System Log: Via any Intelliborn App -> Click Help / FAQs/ Support -> Scroll to bottom and click on red text at bottom.
    MyWi 4.0 - WiFi + USB Tethering on 3.x/4.x/5.x + Simple WiFi Router - Connect Laptops, Touches, + more!
    My3G - Facetime over 3G plus HiDef YouTube and more! Trick your iPhone into thinking it's on WiFi
    Tlert - View and Reply to SMS message within any app. Get rid of the ugly default alert messages!

Ah great then ignore my thousands of angry messages to your site

my phone is next to useless in this state , i cant keep it from crashing long enough to update much less update something from cydia , any ideas on what i should do with it until you decide to fix the problem? , my phone is pretty important for my work and my family and well ... my life.
    Last edited by Synasthesia; 2010-03-15 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

If you're having an issue updating:

* Easiest thing to do is reboot your phone.
    - If you don't have enough space to update still (not sure) after the reboot, perhaps the easiest thing to do is :
    - Go into RockApp and clear out your icon cache under Manage -> Settings -> Clear Cache.

You could try sshing to delete the log file, then update rock while the file is building before it gets to big.

it just keeps sucking up memory to the point where i cant open anything rebooting seems to make it worse

Thanks

rock app , better fix ur ninnies cuz i need mywi for my ipad homecoming

Synasthesia, try ssh and delete the log, then the whole RYI folder. That's what I did.

i deleted the folder through ssh but rock refused to install the new update , i went back to the folder and there it was completely full again -.-

OK GUYS good news rock has fixed the issue! posted on twitter if you haven't seen

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i have 425 mb on /var per sbssettings, is this good, bad, or what? Still learning so any advice is greatly appreciated!!

^ it is particular to however much stuff you hve on you device. 425 for me sucks because I normally have 2500mb free.

Have you deleted it, and then looked in sbsetting. To see how much is free.
    Do you have IM Synasthesia? It would be easier for me to help that way

If it's decreasing without you installing anything - then it's a concern.. (which may involve simply updating RockApp and possibly a reboot). Otherwise - no worries.

the thing is psuskeels currently theres no update available and i cant get rock to work, cydia works, and i cant see any updates in that, which there shud be if rock has an update...

Just uninstall rock if you can through cydia. That's what I did and it worked for me.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast