Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Optus iPhone 3G work on AT&T?

Default Optus iPhone 3G work on AT&T?
    So I bought the phone I referenced in this thread

http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...-unlocked.html

Its a 3G originally bought and used with optus in Australia. I put in my SIM card (AT&T) and connect to iTunes and iTunes tells me its not set up to work on my network. How does one go about getting it to work on this network? Anyone have any experience with this?

Also, Aussie peeps, what is the process for getting it factory unlocked by Optus? I know I may have to pay for it but since its running FW3.1.2, I don't really have any other unlocking options. Halp me out!!!

So I jailbroke it and restored it to factory settings and still no dice. Seriously, no one knows how to get this thing working on AT&T? I can't believe no one has ever tried to do this.
    Last edited by jdm.accord; 2009-10-19 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    I put in my SIM card (AT&T) and connect to iTunes and iTunes tells me its not set up to work on my network.
    What was the error you got?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    What was the error you got?
    Its a dialog box (not error box) that says my SIM card/carrier isn't an approved carrier. Its like I'm putting in a T-Mo sim or something. Do I need to get it unlocked by Optus to work on ATT? That doesn't seem right. Seems like if I'm using an approved carrier, I should be all set.

Again, I have a 3GS for personal use so the SIM card is setup to work with iPhones.

If the phone is locked to Opus then you will need to get it unlocked.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    If the phone is locked to Opus then you will need to get it unlocked.
    hmm, wow. Always thought it didn't matter as long as you're using an approved carrier. Will Optus unlock an iPhone if you don't have an account with them? I know I'd have to pay, but that's not an issue really.