Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Where do i start?

Default Where do i start?
    ok ive been interested in this ever since i got my first 3G for my 8th grade graduation present this summer. ive since had a few other phones and now i've got a 3gs that will be working in a few days. so, here's my question: where do i start? im wanting to start developing my own themes and eventually become more of an all around guy. any suggestions would be great. PS: id make a good sidekick/student if anybody is willing to attemp..

Quote Originally Posted by Red XX Raider View Post
    I hate rich kids. Some of us worked for our phones.
    lol? he got an iphone, what's your problem? what's wrong with people who can afford an iphone? good for them. I worked for TWO iphones, but I'm not bashing against people who got them as a present, wtf.

as for the thread: if you want to develop own themes etc., I guess the best way would be downloading some themes, for example for winterboard (or whatever you want to do) and just look at them, alter them, don't know, whatever you have in mind.

little edit: I personally just looked at a lot of files on my iphone when I got started. if you only want to develop themes you probably want to look at .png files (obviously), most of the important stuff is in /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/, but some stuff is also stored in .artwork files, you might wanna google on what to do with them. Then you can go ahead, alter some images or replace them ...
    Last edited by BlackWolf; 2009-10-18 at 10:00 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Lol nice, this kid got a $200 grad present from his parents, wants to learn to give back to the jailbreak community, and he's labeled a snob and turned away.

Sadly, I don't know **** about the new JB scene, the last time I was really up on things was back when the first iPT was out, so I have probably just as much catching up to do as you do.

Hopefully some of the helpful people who do less trolling and wining will get you started man, best of luck.

Also, with your rents putting up $65+ per month just so you can have the iPhone, we better see some kickass stuff from ya, or we'll all be jealous

Quote Originally Posted by never2hollywood View Post
    Lol nice, this kid got a $200 grad present from his parents, wants to learn to give back to the jailbreak community, and he's labeled a snob and turned away.

Sadly, I don't know **** about the new JB scene, the last time I was really up on things was back when the first iPT was out, so I have probably just as much catching up to do as you do.

Hopefully some of the helpful people who do less trolling and wining will get you started man, best of luck.

Also, with your rents putting up $65+ per month just so you can have the iPhone, we better see some kickass stuff from ya, or we'll all be jealous
    I didn't bash against him, quite the opposite, just in case that came out wrong ^^

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Lol wasn't talking about you at all Wolf, I was talking about Raider, no worries.

I started my reply first but I finished after you had posted yours, so mine ended up underneath.

-------------
    Back on topic.
    Last edited by never2hollywood; 2009-10-18 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Wow..I am so sorry, my left my laptop at my apartment. It appears as if my roomate John is using it. (this is what I get for going golfing today) sorry for any trouble he caused you kid.

On the subject of your OP, I'd say you should probably look into some tutorials on how to make and publish your themes. If you want live help, just send a message to a developer. Asking never hurt anyone.

Sorry again for the trouble with John, he's a real jerk sometimes.

wow to all who say im a spoiled rich kid I PAID FOR EVERY IPHONE IVE EVER HAD WITH THE MONEY THAT I WORKED HARD FOR!!

im looking at it as a sort of general career opportunity. my dads a genious at this stuff.. he's a biomedical engineer. he's sort of.. my insperation i guess you could say. sometimes he just sits back and laughs at the mistakes i make when i try to work on computers.. haha he's great support.
    Last edited by Mach1Man; 2009-10-18 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

There aren't many career oppurtunities for (freshmen?) kids in high school. If you start working on themes, and get one you're proud of, maybe you could submit it to one of the many repositories out there. I don't see you making any money in it until you're 18, but doing stuff for free isn't bad at all.

BTW, I think John saw that you worded it "as a present" and that's why he said that, no worries man, congrats on the iPhone.

haha well the first 3g was a gift from my parents for making honor role. and i knew i wasnt going to make any money now.. but if i start now by the time im 18 ill be quite prepaired for ajob that supplies money. just thought it was a good idea..

Graphic design takes a lot of practice. If you really want practice, see if your local community college offers classes for kids. I'd start with Photoshop tutorials, google that. If you find a tutorial you like, base a theme around it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Red XX Raider For This Useful Post:

never2hollywood (2009-10-19)

yeah good idea.. i think my dad would respect me a lot if i even made a simple theme, nothing too fancy or different.

ok so im just looking to goof around a little right now.. just maybe make my own theme.. something simple. so im gonna need some software to make/edit icons and stuff.. what do yall recommend?
    Last edited by Mach1Man; 2009-10-18 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Most of the time you'll need Photoshop, or any other well equipped image editor.

Then, as far as I remember, its just a case of getting to know your way around the software, what it can do, the kind of effects it can produce, etc.

The more you work the more you'll learn.

When I used to make my own themes for my 5G iPod video I would spend time looking at internet community tutorials to get started with cool effects.

Raider's idea is good, find a tutorial you like and see if you can base a theme off it, put it into practice.

You'll only get better from there.

EDIT: Did a Google search, check this page out
    5 Great Alternative To Photoshop – Make Tech Easier

hmm.. thanks for the link man.. ive already downloaded gimp, and im downloading krita now.