Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Push option gone

Default Push option gone
    I just noticed that the Push option has disappeared from under settings Ė itís meant to be under the first layer, somewhere at the top with Wi-Fi and Carrier right? I havenít really been using this since I got the phone a couple of weeks ago, but would like to enable it for the Facebook app.

I had previously hidden the Mail icon with SB Settings (I use mBox Mail instead) so I assumed it was gone due to that. It did not reappear after I unhid Mail however.

Does anyone know how I get this back? Iím now at 3.1.2 jailbroken with blackra1n and it was there at 3.1 OTB.

Much appreciated.

the notifications entry is only visible if you have an app that supports push. facebook does not support push (but will support it with the update to version 3.1, whenever that will be ...)

Ah, thanks for the info. For the Mail app I can set push notification settings under Mail, Contacts, Calendar but isn't there meant to be a seperate push menu option under settings?

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsson View Post
    Ah, thanks for the info. For the Mail app I can set push notification settings under Mail, Contacts, Calendar but isn't there meant to be a seperate push menu option under settings?
    well, yeah, I never understood why the splitted mail-push and push, it seems unnecessary.
    anyway, the push menu for third party apps has nothing to do with mail push. mail push can be enabled under settings > mail, contacts, calender > fetch new data. also make sure that fetch new data > advanced > your mail account is set to push.

and like I said, the other push menu (settings > notifications) will only show up when you have an app that uses push

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    well, yeah, I never understood why the splitted mail-push and push, it seems unnecessary.
    There's only one "Push" menu, and that's for mail. The other one is just to turn notifications on and off. Sure, they are push notifications, but it's two different things: downloading emails, or receiving app notifications.

anyway, the push menu for third party apps has nothing to do with mail push. mail push can be enabled under settings > mail, contacts, calender > fetch new data. also make sure that fetch new data > advanced > your mail account is set to push.

and like I said, the other push menu (settings > notifications) will only show up when you have an app that uses push
    Understood - I installed NotifyMe to try it out and sure enough the Notifications menu is there. For some reason I had assumed that Facebook was using push and that it wasn't working after the jailbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    There's only one "Push" menu, and that's for mail. The other one is just to turn notifications on and off. Sure, they are push notifications, but it's two different things: downloading emails, or receiving app notifications.
    I wouldn't say they are different; both are push and what they do at set intervals, be it check for mail connection or display a reminder, doesn't really matter. Push is just a name for a proactive mechanism.

Understood - I installed NotifyMe to try it out and sure enough the Notifications menu is there. For some reason I had assumed that Facebook was using push and that it wasn't working after the jailbreak.

I wouldn't say they are different; both are push and what they do at set intervals, be it check for mail connection or display a reminder, doesn't really matter. Push is just a name for a proactive mechanism.
    yeah, facebook with push would be cool. but the developer of the facebook app said it will be added to the next version (3.1), let's hope he can do it!

oh and btw: push does NOT use any intervals, that's the whole point of push but basically, mail and app push are the same, agreed. only difference is mail-push is using the mail-server of your email ISP while app-push is always using apple's push server.

yeah, facebook with push would be cool. but the developer of the facebook app said it will be added to the next version (3.1), let's hope he can do it!

oh and btw: push does NOT use any intervals, that's the whole point of push but basically, mail and app push are the same, agreed. only difference is mail-push is using the mail-server of your email ISP while app-push is always using apple's push server.
    Yeah, let's hope... the developer of mBox Mail said the same about that app!

And I stand corrected about push Does that mean that e.g. the new Facebook will notify as soon as you have an update, not just at set intervals? Too bad that the native Mail app doesn't have the option of real-time push, but hopefully mBox Mail will.

Yeah, let's hope... the developer of mBox Mail said the same about that app!

And I stand corrected about push Does that mean that e.g. the new Facebook will notify as soon as you have an update, not just at set intervals? Too bad that the native Mail app doesn't have the option of real-time push, but hopefully mBox Mail will.
    yeah, the whole point of push is that you get notified about updates IMMEDIATLY (updates are pushed from the server to your iphone, rather than the iphone pulling updates in set intervals) :-)
    and btw, the native mail app supports push, but your email provider has to support push as well. for example gmail, yahoo or mobileMe support push.

yeah, the whole point of push is that you get notified about updates IMMEDIATLY (updates are pushed from the server to your iphone, rather than the iphone pulling updates in set intervals) :-)
    and btw, the native mail app supports push, but your email provider has to support push as well. for example gmail, yahoo or mobileMe support push.
    Right, thanks for the explanation Identical to email push on a Blackberry then.

Hotmail / Live Mail does support push Ė it's been working on WM6 for years. There's also an app for the iPhone, Mail Notifier, that has push notifications for Hotmail, Gmail and AOL but unfortunately it's not an actual email app, it just shows a preview. In other words it's possible, just not in the native Mail or mBox Mail apps. Hopefully it will be resolved soon!

mh, don't know about live mail, but I guess that should work as well. gmail push works over the native mail app via google sync, I know that for sure. and I guess live mail works some way or another as well

I followed one1's excellent guide

READ: The ultimate iPhone push network 100% live setup plan

Set up an gmail account to use for stuff I want notifications for (ie facebook), combined with the PushGmail app it means I get instant pop up notifications whenever someone posts a comment on Facebook.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

the notifications entry is only visible if you have an app that supports push. facebook does not support push (but will support it with the update to version 3.1, whenever that will be ...)
    Facebook is a push app. It does support it. Well there was a update and that supports it.
    If I have helped you please hit the Thanks button.

Quote Originally Posted by JJMA View Post
    Facebook is a push app. It does support it. Well there was a update and that supports it.
    no it doesn't support it. period. current app version is 3.02 and push will be available with 3.1 ... I talked to the developer in the facbeook app discussion, so I know for sure, plus I have the app and it doesn't support push plus it doesn't say push anywhere in the description :-)

no it doesn't support it. period. current app version is 3.02 and push will be available with 3.1 ... I talked to the developer in the facbeook app discussion, so I know for sure, plus I have the app and it doesn't support push plus it doesn't say push anywhere in the description :-)
    Haha, easy now I can't see any push option for facebook, but I do remember the app having those indicators (e.g. a number in the top corner) before I jailbroke. Perhaps that was since I closed it with unread messages / notifications etc.

I'll take your word for it since you've talked to the developer however.

In either case I've got problems with Skype and might respore to vanilla 3.1.2 so I'll see if it works then.

Haha, easy now I can't see any push option for facebook, but I do remember the app having those indicators (e.g. a number in the top corner) before I jailbroke. Perhaps that was since I closed it with unread messages / notifications etc.

I'll take your word for it since you've talked to the developer however.

In either case I've got problems with Skype and might respore to vanilla 3.1.2 so I'll see if it works then.
    yeah, you get those badges if you close the app with unread notifications in it ... but there is no push, trust me. if there were, you would have the notifications menu after install the app ;-) it's as simple as that.
    I don't know anything about skype though, sorry

yeah, you get those badges if you close the app with unread notifications in it ... but there is no push, trust me. if there were, you would have the notifications menu after install the app ;-) it's as simple as that.
    I don't know anything about skype though, sorry
    No, I didn't think it was there And I must have closed the app with unread notifications, will try that next time I'm in.