Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What the eff is going on with this #$#@ phone?

Default What the eff is going on with this #$#@ phone?
    Ok. For those of you that havent seen me post a million posts recently.

iPhone 3gs - 3.1.2 JB Blackra1n - PC Windows Vista

I went into a movie two hours and twenty minutes ago at 7:20 P.M CST.

My phone was at at around 70% and I had been having some battery life problems since I JB but, nothing like this has happened.

I got out of the movie probably 15 minutes ago. 9:30 P.M CST and my phone was completely dead, would not turn on, and was kind of warm.

I've since come home, plugged it in and it was completely unresponsive. I couldnt get it to turn on, nothing, it was completely black. If im not mistaken when its been completely dead before (only once ive let it comepletely die) it took a minute for it to even charge up enough to show the red battery and lighting bolt, but after ten minutes it was still unresponsive.

After desperately trying to power it up, it finally came back on and the battery read 36%. Thats where I currently stand. This battery stuff is just making it to where im considering restoring and unjailbreaking it. I should be able to leave it and not touch it whatsoever as it sleeps and it not drain in 90 minutes.

But it doesnt do that EVERY time i leave it asleep, only sometimes. It, sometimes, will feel warm as if I was running like Wunderradio for 30 minutes, but it will have been asleep the whole time. Other times it wont. Im going to try SBSettings but i know so little about it. Im going to try to just delete every single program that it shows (as I was told that if it shows up in SBSettings that it will be ok to delete) I dont want to delete stuff that is necessary to keep.

Restore your iPhone and set it up as a new phone. DO NOT RESTORE FROM A BACKUP. Restoring from a backup is the main cause of battery issues. There have been several reports of similar issues from other users...
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Hunter3gs (2009-10-18)

Thanks for the advice. I have read that in several places, but I folowed the blackra1n instructions very carefully and did restore it to 3.1.2 as a new phone not as my backup.

If the problem continues I would suggest a fresh restore. If the issue continues, it may be hardware related

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

If I restore to factory settings, is my warranty still voided? I mean if I found out it was a hardware problem and I restored to get a new one, they'd never know it'd been jailbroken right?

Correct, and FYI, your warranty is never voided from JBing. Just a load of BS apple claims. Restore and Return

Do you think it's be prudent to try and downgrade and re jb or is that not possible

If you have your ECID on file with Saurik's server than give it a shot and see if the problem persists. I honestly would just restore back to 3.1.2 and JB with a custom ipsw made with PWNage tool. Seems that most people having the issue you are describing, though there are only a handful of them, are Blackra1n users. But yes, you can downgrade and run redsn0w and see if it happens again.

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Correct, and FYI, your warranty is never voided from JBing. Just a load of BS apple claims. Restore and Return
    that's not true. jailbreaking does void your warranty, it's just that when you restore they'll never know

If you have your ECID on file with Saurik's server than give it a shot and see if the problem persists. I honestly would just restore back to 3.1.2 and JB with a custom ipsw made with PWNage tool. Seems that most people having the issue you are describing, though there are only a handful of them, are Blackra1n users. But yes, you can downgrade and run redsn0w and see if it happens again.
    Well Since my last post, (today i manually deleted some unecessary processes from tutorials online with SSH. I also installed safari quitter. Right after that I went and saw a movie, two hours long, when I sat down I had 70% life, before the movie was over my phone was really warm and completely dead and took a while to restart.) Then I downloaded SBSettings and did a very minimal free memory toggle. And before I even downloaded sbsettings, I decided to time it out and at 3 am exactly I unplugged from 100% and I have used the phone a substantial amount since then, quite a lot. It is now 7:33 am and I am at 49% so, half my battery life has delpleted with a substantial amount of dling apps, safari surf etc, and it was been 4.5 hours.

4.5 hours for only 50% of my battery life? I'll take it! But what I don't get is how off and on it is. Hopefully it stays this way

Also, I can ONLY downgrade if I had whatever an ECID is on file with saurik. Right? I just got this 3hs it's my first iPhone I hadn't even heard the word jailbreak before 5 days ago. So, no, I don't have that. If my phone persists the trend it's on NOW then I'm fine, although i would like the 6 dollar NES emulaoe I bought
    to work

but I have a feeling it's just a matter of time before it does a random drain in 2 hours while sleeping again for no reason

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    that's not true. jailbreaking does void your warranty, it's just that when you restore they'll never know
    FYI, stop contradicting me when you do not know what you are talking about. My company has had drawn out battles with Apples legal department over this issue. Jailbreaking does not void the warranty...end of story! They claim it does, but in the end they are wrong...go get a legal degree and sit down and read through all of apples agreements.

FYI, stop contradicting me when you do not know what you are talking about. My company has had drawn out battles with Apples legal department over this issue. Jailbreaking does not void the warranty...end of story! They claim it does, but in the end they are wrong...go get a legal degree and sit down and read through all of apples agreements.:
    yeah, alright, then go ahead with your mighty jailbroken iphone and get a replacement. you won't. end of story.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    yeah, alright, then go ahead with your mighty jailbroken iphone and get a replacement. you won't. end of story.
    A warranty can only be officially voided by Apple when they grab your phone and blacklist your SN- If they don't see my phone as it is now, as far as they know my warranty is intact and I'm a wonderful customer

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    A warranty can only be officially voided by Apple when they grab your phone and blacklist your SN- If they don't see my phone as it is now, as far as they know my warranty is intact and I'm a wonderful customer
    sure, I never doubted that. of course they have to actually catch you. I'm just saying that technically jailbreaking DOES void your warranty, and that's a fact. in reality, catching a jailbreaker is difficult, of course.

iPhone? More like MyPhone itsjustlenny's Avatar
    Thanks

you know i actually had this same problem last night. i went most of my day with 100% battery which was odd considering i was txting and getting phone calls all day. so around 8pm (which my battery still said 100%) i was on safari showing my friend something and all of a sudden it just died.

so when i get home i put it on the charger, wait until it turns on. and when it turns on, it says 36%??? how did i go from a dead battery to 36% in just powering up? i'll probably restore my phone but i just found it quite odd someone is having my exact (well nearly exact) issues.