Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3.1.2 upgrade, check! blackra1n, check! aptbackup removed (sort of) my itunes apps

Default 3.1.2 upgrade, check! blackra1n, check! aptbackup removed (sort of) my itunes apps
    Hi everyone,

Recently ran a successful upgrade (from my desktop which is my main itunes machine) to 3.1.2 before leaving my home for the weekend. Decided to use my laptop on the bus to make it blackra1n, and that worked okay! got Cydia! Here's where I should have stopped.

I got aptbackup and restored my previous cydia apps, and this did exactly what it was supposed to. I have all my previous cydia apps, except i no longer have access to my other iPhone apps (downloaded via iTunes, etc) that were on there before running aptbackup.

First, tried SBSettings to unhide icons... it sees all my apps, but says they are indeed NOT hidden. Anyway, i selected to hide them then unhide with no luck.

SSH'd into my iphone and in /Applications I can see all the apps that I have icons for (basic preinstalled iPhone apps) but none of the apps I had before running aptbackup. In /var/mobile/Applications I can see the many alphanumeric codes for ALL my apps that i don't have icons for.

I have resprung, rebooted, and also tried deleting the com.apple.springboard.plist, i have tried fixing directory permissions, but to no avail, I can't get at my apps to appear in the springboard

Any idea why this might have happened? And, before I get back to my desktop computer to just do a restore, how I might be able to get my icons back.

It is so weird that SBSettings can see all the applications to hide/unhide, but none of those apps are visible on the springboard. I'm so confused how Aptbackup caused this..

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Brian

Settings - General - Restrictions - "Enable Restrictions" then turn right around and disable them again.

Icons will show up.

Welcome to MMi, dont leave we will hunt you.

Thanks for the welcome, and advice, cpjr.

I had actually tried that as well, no luck. Any other suggestions?

I also just tried running blackra1n a second time, no difference...

Brian

same problem! When plugged into iTunes it shows that there are 1.5GB of apps but they arn't visable on the springboard. sbsettings shows them too. They were there before restoring from aptbackup.

This happened to me today as well. Anyone have any suggestions besides restoring and reinstalling all my apps?

Default make apps visible
    I had a similar situation, where I didn't see apps on springboard but spotlight found them and I could run them. I was able to make apps reappear on springboard by adding them to a Categories folder, respringing to effect the changes, and then removing them from the Categories folder and deleting the folder. When I resprung the 2nd time all the invisible apps were there.

a few days ago i updated my friend's 3gs from 3.0 to 3.1.2. he wanted me to backup all his cydia apps so i searched for a way to backup in cydia and found apt backup, installed and ran it. did the jailbreak and restored his phone from backup. then a few days later he finally ran apt backup. thats when poo hit the fan. all his 3rd party apps disappeared (cydia apps did get restored).

one of the first things i found on google was that you're supposed to run apt backup *before* restoring all your data and syncing apps and stuff (they should really put that in the 'how to use' part). i have not found a solution for getting apps to re-appear and he has data from when he used the apps after updating pre apt backup that he needs and cannot be lost.

i've been digging through the phone trying to figure out how to fix this. it seems applications are installed in /var/mobile/applications/[xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx]. so i tried creating a symlink from /var/mobile/apps/xxxx/x.app and have gotten mixed results (minigore had bizarre issues) and all of them didn't have any app data probably because the symlink was to x.app instead of the xxxx folder.

i've also tried the categories trick, didn't work and the enable/disable restrictions trick, didn't work and i tried deleting the springboard plist file, didn't work.

does anyone have any other suggestions on how to fix this? it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for any and all help,

- kao

I used the ********* file that enables downloading and installing of .ipa's and poof they all came back!

iPhone? More like MyPhone The Guz's Avatar
    Thanks

I have used apt back up as well to back up my cydia apps. I have done this twice to recover my apps from the app store. After I restored the phone, I jailbroke it with blackrain and used apt back up. That restored my cydia apps and got rid of my other apps. I then synced the phone and the other apps reappeared on the phone as well as keeping th cydia apps. I had to scroll to the right to see them as they were on another page.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I have used apt back up as well to back up my cydia apps. I have done this twice to recover my apps from the app store. After I restored the phone, I jailbroke it with blackrain and used apt back up. That restored my cydia apps and got rid of my other apps. I then synced the phone and the other apps reappeared on the phone as well as keeping th cydia apps. I had to scroll to the right to see them as they were on another page.
    I did this, but if you look closely (with iFile, or check the size on iTunes) you will find that you now have two copies of each app, one working one non. Check my guide if you want a complete solution, this was more pertinent to me since my apps amount to 2.89GB!!!

GUIDE (I've never made a guide before, but I guess that is what this is!)

So, I signed up just to answer this so you'd better appreciate it! I tend to use macrumors, although some people over there are really quite lost in the darkness of there behinds.

Anyway, here goes I'll make it simple since I found this through a google search and it could help lots of others.

-In iFile (available through Cydia) navigate to "/User"
    -Delete (yes - delete) the "Applications" folder
    At this point it may look as if the applications has crashed - just press the Home button!
    -Go back to iFile "/User" and create a new folder name "Applications"
    -IMPORTANT!!! Go into the file attributes (click on small arrow to the right of Applications label) and set ownership to "mobile"
    -Make sure Group is also set to mobile and User permission are "Read,Write,Execute" and Group/World are "Read,Execute" (in other words set folder permission to 755)

At this point all should be fine to sync, but I downloaded a free app from the AppStore first just to be on the safe side.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO DELETE "/Applications" or you're screwed!!!
    There are two application folders, one in the root directory "/" and one in the User directory "/User" only delete the on in the user directory. If unsure, go into the Applications folder in question and check if it contains the default iPhone apps and Cydia apps ("/Applications") or the AppStore apps ("/User/Applications") - needless to say, delte the latter.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by eshroom; 2010-02-02 at 01:33 AM.

had the same trouble but with the upgrading from 3.1.1 to 3.1.2 i still have all the apps from the appstore but they wont work on my when i try to use them... any ideas on how to fix this problem????