Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Processes running in background

formerly known as nigel.m
    Thanks

Default Processes running in background
    Can anyone recommend any books regarding the iPhone operating system. Specifically processes running in the background ?

Thanks Nigel.

mh, I don't think there are any, but you can get a lot of the information from mac os x or other unix-based systems.

if you have a specific question maybe someone here can help you.

Thanks

Default Sysinfo
    Ok,well basically my question regarding processes running in the bacground goes like this. As I understand App Store apps close 100% when closed. Does this apply to Cydia and Rock apps.

Sysinfo Plus under processes shows all processes running. At any time it can show up to 10 or 15 processes. How is that if all apps are supposed to stop running upon closing. At the same time you can efectivally force quit or stop any process. This will increase the Ram displayed (that shows up the top of my screen via SB setting). I assume mail may run in background but not safari or phone etc. There are also what seem to be alot of System apps that I don't know what they are. So I don't
    really want to close them for fear of them not starting again. What I'm trying to learn is more about processes in order to increase performance.

Look forward to your reply,

Nigel.

mh, alright, so first you have to understand that there are three types of apps:
    1) AppStore Apps
    2) Cydia Apps
    3) System Apps

System apps are those installed with the firmware (phone, messages, mail etc.). The Appstore rules do NOT apply to those.
    Appstore apps will ALWAYS close when you minimize them. As for cydia apps: They can chose what they want to do, but none of them will run in the background if there is no good reason to do so. For example "scrobbl" (which sends all your played songs to last.fm if you don't know it) will always be running in the background, as it needs to collect the songs you are playing with the ipod app.

Now ... if your sysinfo is only showing 15 processes, than you can consider yourself pretty lucky. First of all there are a lot of system processes (about 20-30) that are always running but you never know about them, as they don't have an icon (for example a process that handles network connections, a process that handles crashes, a process that handles playing of media files ... stuff like that). The processes are usually called something like "apsd" or "afcd" ir "launchd" ... . These are just the processes that actually make up your whole operating system. It is the same on every computer. If you start the task manager in windows you will notice that your computer is running about 50-70 processes, even though you may only have two actualy programs opened.
    That for the basic course in "how Operating systems work" ...

Now: There are some actual apps by apple that are SUPPOSED to run in the background. these include phone, mail, ipod and safari (though I havn't figured out why the **** safari is running in the background, for all the other apps it makes sense). Even though some people will tell you that you should/can kill these things, I advise you NOT to (except safari maybe). These processes are designed to run in the background, and it make sense for them to run in the background. They are not eating up a lot of RAM and cpu anyway, so whatever.

So, last but not least, how to increase your performance: Most processes you see in sysinfo should not be killed. But there are some that can be killed. First of all, you can install something in cydia that makes the safari close completly when you close it. on a 2G/3G this makes sense, you can find the instructions here:
    HowTo: Save iPhone Memory By Forcing Safari To Stop Running In The Background | FSMdotCOM

secondly, there are some system processes you might not need because you don't need what they do. if so, you can prevent them from starting when the system starts up. These are instructions, but please, only remove daemons you REALLY don't need. everything you are not sure about, LEAVE in, as your phone might not boot if you delete the wrong processes:
    HowTo: Boost iPhone/iTouch Speed By Removing Launch Daemons | FSMdotCOM

lastly, you can increase a little RAM and performance by deleting unnecessary language packs. I wouldn't go through the hassle of deleting EVERYTHING the following article describes, but for some slow/important/often used apps (springboard for example) this could be useful:
    HowTo: Boost iPhone/iTouch Speed By Removing Unnecessary Languages | FSMdotCOM

Soo ... hope I could explain everything. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask ^^

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

Snige (2009-10-18)

Thanks

Wow !!!! No that's what I call a top class reply. Thanks for the insight. I have actually been down the track of deleteing language packs on my last 3g phone so at least I am familiar with it. One more question, am I right in assuming that the "Free Up Memory" icon within "Processes" within SB Setting's "Toggles" is something like what were talking about re: Freeing memory, and I assume those processes are the safe ones to kill ?

Thanks,

Nigel.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel.m View Post
    Wow !!!! No that's what I call a top class reply. Thanks for the insight. I have actually been down the track of deleteing language packs on my last 3g phone so at least I am familiar with it. One more question, am I right in assuming that the "Free Up Memory" icon within "Processes" within SB Setting's "Toggles" is something like what were talking about re: Freeing memory, and I assume those processes are the safe ones to kill ?

Thanks,

Nigel.
    well, yeah, I suppose so. I'm not 100% sure how the "free memory" button works. sometimes it doesn't seem to kill processes, sometimes it kills some processes like the itunesstore-daemon ... I'm not quite sure what it does though, the itunes store works fine afterwards.
    But I would stick to the list of daemons provided in the link I gave you ... the "free memory" button seems to look at what the iphone is currently needing and killing processes then. I tried to put the "free memory" thing in the autostart of my iphone but it wouldn't boot anymore afterwards, so ...

Thanks

Thanks very much for your help. I'm looking forward to playing around with those links you sent me. I will have to put some time aside I'm sure. Thanks again,

Nigel.

Yeah that was a really good reply. Ive been trying to learn about this exact topic as my Blackra1n JB 3.1.2 3gs has been eating up battery life pretty quickly since I broke.

I want to know if SBSettings or killing any of the aforementioned processes will clear any of that up, or will it be cleared up with an update, or am I, and the people having this problem, just S.O.L for the moment until something better comes out? Or should I downgrade (which I dont know how to do) and restore and re-JB? So many questions for a fledgling jailbreaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter3gs View Post
    Yeah that was a really good reply. Ive been trying to learn about this exact topic as my Blackra1n JB 3.1.2 3gs has been eating up battery life pretty quickly since I broke.

I want to know if SBSettings or killing any of the aforementioned processes will clear any of that up, or will it be cleared up with an update, or am I, and the people having this problem, just S.O.L for the moment until something better comes out? Or should I downgrade (which I dont know how to do) and restore and re-JB? So many questions for a fledgling jailbreaker.
    well, depends. what iphone do you have? what services are turned on/off (wifi/bluetooth/tethering/push/etc)? how long does the iphone battery last and what are you doing with it? so how much % do you lose in 3 hours of standby or something, just give an example so we can see if your battery life is normal.

I suppose if you really have an actual battery problem (answering the above questions will show me if you do) then killing processes will probably not clear it up, if you don't have anything really strange installed from cydia that eats your battery.

I'd say give me some more information and we'll go from there ...

Well my phone and fw version and all that are at the right of
    my name but I suppose that's not enough.

My first iPhone, literally never heard the word jailbreak before 5 days ago but ivedone a lot of online research.

Had my 16gb 3gs about a month now, few days ago restored to 3.1.2 after watching some instructional YouTube vids.
    Restored as new not backup. Wifi is on, Bluetooth off, I don't web know what tethering is except in context clues i figure it has something to do with creating or sharing a connection, push? As in notifications? Off

Since my last post, today i manually deleted some unecessary processes from tutorials online with SSH. I also installed safari quitter. Right after that I went and saw a movie, two hours long, when I sat down I had 70% life, before the movie was over my phone was really warm and completely dead and took a while to restart. Then I downloaded SBSettings and did a very minimal free memory toggle. And before I even downloaded sbsettings, I decided to time it out and at 3 am exactly I unplugged from 100% and I have used the phone a substantial amount since then, quite a lot. It is now 7:33 am and I am at 49% so, half my battery life has delpleted with a substantial amount of dling apps, safari surf etc, and it was been 4.5 hours.

But tomorrow it will drain again while completely asleep in an hour and a half so, go figure
    Last edited by Hunter3gs; 2009-10-18 at 02:52 PM.

sounds strange. could be a hardware issue.
    I'd advise you to do a full restore and not select "restore from backup" but rather "setup as new iphone" (be aware that this WILL remove contacts, text messages, notes etc. etc.)

if the problem isn't solved by that you might have a hardware issue

Thanks

Gidday, me again. I hope this thread is still alive. I have done everything you recommended to improve performance. Everything is working a whole lot better thats for sure and Safari Quitter is helping alot but....the only wee thing that is bothering me a little is an error message that you can view here:
    Snapfish:Share:Registration
    that appears whilst Cydia is loading. It seems to relate to SafariQuitter as the source was iphoneil.com

Now I have removed the source and only left SafariQuitter, but still it appears. Do you have any clues on how to remove this error message,

Thanks,

Nigel.

funny, seems to be a bug in cydia. I had the same thing happening to me lately. if you type in a wrong/non-existing source, that source doesn't show up in the sources-list in cydia, but you get an error every time you refresh your sources. very annoying.
    if you look at it, you will notice that the error says iphoneil.COM, while the correct adress is .NET. since you installed SafariQuitter I suppose you accidentally entered .com, then after that you entered .net ... and now the .com source doesn't go away.

anyway, there is a fix for that ...
    http://modmyi.com/forums/general/689...urce-list.html
    delete all the files or plist-entries I mentioned in the post above and you should be fine