Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: able to use jailbreak iphone if no carrier?

Default able to use jailbreak iphone if no carrier?
    i was wondering... i have a 1st gen iphone jailbroken on legit att.... im gonna get the 3gs but i was wondering once they take me out of the 1st gen iphone and leaving it inactive, can i still use my 1st gen still jailbroken? can i still install apps from cydia? can i still use the appstore? ive always wondered about this situation but never knew what can happen... thanks in advance!

Thanks

Yes you can, just leave your sim in there and use the wifi and you can use all the features just except the calling part unless you can emerceny number which is 911,

alright cool so i dont need to have the sim in their to use cydia right? i basically want to use my 1st gen as a "jailbroken ipod".

correct... It will be like a iTouch

Thanks

Yes just like a ipod touch there no such thing as a itouch, but ipod touch yes so enjoy your iphone/ipod touch. (Also you may use VOIP on it)

now when updates come about and new versions of pwnage tool come out, can i still update and jailbreak it like normally?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toawkanavngthded View Post
    now when updates come about and new versions of pwnage tool come out, can i still update and jailbreak it like normally?
    Yes you may, but read what the information about the new pwnage say about jailbreaking and you should be good

Is it going to possible to jailbreak an inactive iPhone? I got my 3GS before I upgraded my 2G to 3.0 and now I am afraid to hook it up to my computer. I fear it will see the inactive Sim card and lock the unit out (I have used it as a Touch with WiFi around the house, but would like to put new apps and update to current firmware. Is this possible? Where do I need to look for instructions? What software do I need to buy?

Sorry for being so clueless