Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: It's aliiive! ... or is it?!

Exclamation It's aliiive! ... or is it?!
    Hey guys,

I got caught in a downpour with the phone off. Long story short, i plugged it in when I got home and it felt like the battery had shorted out. It was hot as hell! I quickly unplugged it, but it was too late. Wouldn't charge and wouldn't turn on.

I bought a new battery, replaced it, and voila! *da dink!* it started to charge immediately after plugging it in. So I go to turn it on...screen backlight looks to turn on, but it's all black. Everything, black. However, the PC recognizes an iPhone got plugged in. Okay, so it's powering on. I put in a SIM card and call the #. *MARIMBA!* It's alive! But, screen is still black.... Doh!

Did the LCD get fried or is the motherboard fried?

HELP!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

This isn't a palm pilot... you blow a lot more when you get it wet. You have mobo connected to comm board, connected to digitizer and all of it tied together in ways nobody else does (apple seem content to allow it to crash and burn all at once, no buffers to stop reverse voltage). Be glad you only have $15 in a battery at this point, put it on ebay and cut your losses. Never try to chase water damage. It'll come back and bite you in a few months if you get lucky enough to make it work that long. If it's a 16gb 3G or above you might try something cheap as a fix otherwise chunk it on the bay and take your losses.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

ambo (2009-10-12)

Thanks for the reply. I just picked up a new LCD for $30 and will throw that in and see if it comes back alive. If not, It'll be put on eBay and hopefully I'll recover the $52 in parts I just put into it.

And yes, it's a 16GB 3G.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

I'd agree to it then if you can get it done for that, otherwise run from the water damage. If you get a palm pilot wet it can dry out and usually keep running with little work, even a small jumper repair, but the iphone is designed to run at such high performance it cannot be slowed by buffers and gates for backup protection as it would just create heat and voltage drops inside and slow the phone down so it's kind of like a dragster..... fast and exciting, but teetering on the edge of destruction if something goes wrong........ enter: water.

As seen in my sig I do repairs on iphones for folks around here so if you don't get it going I'll take a second look at it before you chunk it.

That'd be awesome. I'll hit you up with a PM if the LCD doesn't resolve the issue. Thanks bud!