Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone cracked screen under glass?? Take a look! Please Help!

iPhone? More like MyPhone RaginAsian55's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPhone cracked screen under glass?? Take a look! Please Help!
    I noticed a few hairline cracks UNDERNEATH the screen on my iPhone. Should I restore to factory settings (currenty JB/unlock for TMobile) and then take it to the Apple store to be replaced? I noticed one a few days ago and then realized that I had three total.

Any/all help is appreciate! Thanks!!

Info:
    iPhone 3GS 32gb White
    3.0.1 JB/unlock on Tmobile
    Warranty on Serial until 08/07/2010
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -ccimg0004.jpg   -ccimg0005.jpg   -ccimg0006.jpg  

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'd restore it and try taking it into the apple store if I were you.

Thanks

Do you know if the new iPhones already have 3.1 on them? I'll need to jb 3.0.1 so I can unlock and use with TMobile. Plus I've heard too many problems with 3.1 to really want to run my iphone on it...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 224 Posts

i read that some lucky people are getting 3.0 iphones.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Quit sitting on the edge of your phone while it's in your pocket.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post

That comment isn't remotely helpful and doesn't may any sense. But thanks anyway for trying.. failing ultimately, but trying...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 224 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RaginAsian55 View Post
    That comment isn't remotely helpful and doesn't may any sense. But thanks anyway for trying.. failing ultimately, but trying...
    Don't be such a ragin asian.

...and know your place newb, the door swings both ways around here.

Besides, I'm right.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mahgninnuc93's Avatar
    Thanks

That was funny.....relax dude. One1 is just trying to add a little humor to the whole issue. We all live the life and treasure the I.....

Lol, but its true there is no possible way for the phone to get scratched on its own.

Green Apple
    Thanks

do you have a screen protector on it?
    useful? hit the thanks button!

Thanks

1) I'm relaxed. :-) Just throwing a quip back, but I guess not well received. Oh well....

2) ...Unless One1 really thinks that those cracks underneath the glass can be caused by sitting on the phone in my back pocket- which I usually just leave my phone on the desk but I'm sure I've sat on it a few times.

3) I do have a screen protector on it but the cracks are underneath the glass and screen protector. I don't really know how to explain it.

4) I did send pics to a someone I found on Craigslist in my area that fixes broken iPhone screens. They said it was just the glass that was cracked and would fix for $70.

5) I think I've overall resolved to just wait until a "true" jailbreak/unlock is out for 3.1 and then exchange it. I have a whole year left on the warranty. It doesn't mess with performance at all.
    Last edited by RaginAsian55; 2009-10-08 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginAsian55 View Post
    1) I'm relaxed. :-) Just throwing a quip back, but I guess not well received. Oh well....

2) ...Unless One1 really thinks that those cracks underneath the glass can be caused by sitting on the phone in my back pocket- which I usually just leave my phone on the desk but I'm sure I've sat on it a few times.

3) I do have a screen protector on it but the cracks are underneath the glass and screen protector. I don't really know how to explain it.

4) I did send pics to a someone I found on Craigslist in my area that fixes broken iPhone screens. They said it was just the glass that was cracked and would fix for $70.

5) I think I've overall resolved to just wait until a "true" jailbreak/unlock is out for 3.1 and then exchange it. I have a whole year left on the warranty. It doesn't mess with performance at all.
    If you would like to send it to me....I can also do it and wouldnt be anymore expensive. At least someone more trustworthy than craigslist. But...you would have to mail it, only difference.

All I can say is that those cracks/scratches dont happen on their own....Have you ever had your screen replaced? I have seen some nut jobs on CL that install used digitizers on iPhones and use a Sharpie or black paint to fill in scratches. When the paint or Sharpie melts away, those scratches become visible again...Just Sayin

FYI- If the guy on CL tells you that just the glass needs to be replaced, then I wouldnt trust it....anyone who calls the digitizer "glass" fails in my book..
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    All I can say is that those cracks/scratches dont happen on their own....Have you ever had your screen replaced? I have seen some nut jobs on CL that install used digitizers on iPhones and use a Sharpie or black paint to fill in scratches. When the paint or Sharpie melts away, those scratches become visible again...Just Sayin

FYI- If the guy on CL tells you that just the glass needs to be replaced, then I wouldnt trust it....anyone who calls the digitizer "glass" fails in my book..
    Thanks for the input. Yeah I understand that cosmetic defects don't just magically happen but I really don't understand *how* this even happened. Glass on top looks good, LCD good, everything is good but these "stress factures" on the phone. Maybe my crack did crack my phone, haha.

I bought the phone off of someone on Craigslist the day after they bought it. The warranty expires 8/7/10 and I bought it one 8/8/09. It was used but when I received the phone it was in perfect condition. But, mystery unsolved. I'll wait for a full JB/unlock from Dev Team for 3.1.x and then restore and trade the phone in under manufacturer's warranty.... under the assumption Dev team can put together the JB/unlock in less than 10 months. I have complete confidence that they can. :-)