Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: root partition size?

  1. #1
    Default root partition size?
    hi, my friend is making me a custom 3.1 firmware for me. i was wondering what the root partition size does? what happens if i make it 1GB as opposed to the default(whatever that is)?

    thanks


    no signature links or spam.... only warning

  2. #2
    Retired Moderator bhz1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,528
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 361 Times in 271 Posts

    Good idea to increase teh root partition size. Ive done this with every firmware jailbreak as long as I can remember. I increase to 1000 or thereabouts.

  3. #3
    okay thanks, but what does it do exactly, and why is it good to increase it?


    no signature links or spam.... only warning

  4. #4
    Retired Moderator bhz1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,528
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 361 Times in 271 Posts

    The root partition is the part that stores the firmware and system files. As the fw versions increase, so does their size. The 3.1 fw is over 300 mb in size. The original FW for the 2G was about 160mb? Forget exactly. SOme apps write files on this partition as well. Several FW versions ago many people discovered a failure in jb with custom FW that was correctedby increasing the root partition size. While 1GB may be more than you need, it seems to be a size that virtually eliminates restore errors.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    The root partition is the part that stores the firmware and system files. As the fw versions increase, so does their size. The 3.1 fw is over 300 mb in size. The original FW for the 2G was about 160mb? Forget exactly. SOme apps write files on this partition as well. Several FW versions ago many people discovered a failure in jb with custom FW that was correctedby increasing the root partition size. While 1GB may be more than you need, it seems to be a size that virtually eliminates restore errors.
    but pwnagetool and redsn0w both put all your stock apps, cydia apps, ringtones etc. on your media partition, so you actually never install something on the root partition (let's say almost never) ... so, in my opinion, 1GB is wasted space. if you don't need the space, it doesn't matter. if you need the space, the default value of pwnagetool (I think 6xxMB?) is more than sufficient.

  6. #6
    Retired Moderator bhz1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,528
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 361 Times in 271 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    but pwnagetool and redsn0w both put all your stock apps, cydia apps, ringtones etc. on your media partition, so you actually never install something on the root partition (let's say almost never) ... so, in my opinion, 1GB is wasted space. if you don't need the space, it doesn't matter. if you need the space, the default value of pwnagetool (I think 6xxMB?) is more than sufficient.
    WHile that is true, I found in the past some restores would not even complete if you didnt make the root partition larger. I guess I feel even if the restore went successfully without enlarging the root partition, I view the extra space almost like I do with unused space on a desktop. If you start filling up that hard drive too much, the whole thing starts to run slower and laggy sometimes. All I know is with a 1GB root partition, my JB always goes smoothly, i dont have app issues and my interface is quite snappy, even with Winterboard, 5-columns/rows, 5 icon dock, etc...

  7. #7
    i would like to conserve space as much as possible. itunes says i have 516MB of "other" which i'm guessing is this root partition size. this is working right now on a 3.0 JB, will 516MB work for 3.1?


    no signature links or spam.... only warning

  8. #8
    Retired Moderator bhz1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,528
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 361 Times in 271 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by stonyboys View Post
    i would like to conserve space as much as possible. itunes says i have 516MB of "other" which i'm guessing is this root partition size. this is working right now on a 3.0 JB, will 516MB work for 3.1?
    Id make it a bit larger to allow some "breathing room". If it were me Id probably make it at least 650 or 700MB.

  9. #9
    actually i probably wont get another 3 GB of music anytime soon, so i might as well make it 1GB i guess. is this guaranteed to make it faster even with winterboard?


    no signature links or spam.... only warning

  10. #10
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Chefanim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Panama City, FL
    Posts
    894
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 153 Times in 132 Posts

    or... for a little Dev Team easter egg, make the root partition 666mb with pwnage tool.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefanim View Post
    or... for a little Dev Team easter egg, make the root partition 666mb with pwnage tool.
    er...what? lol


    no signature links or spam.... only warning

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefanim View Post
    or... for a little Dev Team easter egg, make the root partition 666mb with pwnage tool.
    if I wasn't so sure it's fake I would try it

  13. #13
    Gyus - is there a way to actually decrease the root partition size without restoring the system?

  14. #14
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Chefanim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Panama City, FL
    Posts
    894
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 153 Times in 132 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    if I wasn't so sure it's fake I would try it
    Not Fake. When you type 666 into the root partition size... something happens (make sure your speakers are on)... then something else, another easter egg is on your phone. Its nothing super exciting, but its there...
    So long, and thanks for all the fish

  15. #15
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,824
    Thanks
    553
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    Why be so cryptic? Spill the beans.

  16. #16
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Chefanim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Panama City, FL
    Posts
    894
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 153 Times in 132 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Why be so cryptic? Spill the beans.
    Well, That would spoil the fun

    In all honesty, its not worth restoring the phone for.
    Last edited by Chefanim; 2009-10-06 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    So long, and thanks for all the fish

  17. #17
    ^cmon just tell us pls. =D


    no signature links or spam.... only warning

  18. #18
    Lol ^^ funny.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

  19. #19
    ok so is 750 MB enough or will it be faster if i make it 1GB?


    no signature links or spam.... only warning

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by stonyboys View Post
    ok so is 750 MB enough or will it be faster if i make it 1GB?
    it's enough, honestly. I used the standard size (which is, I think, 650MB or something) and I still have 137MB of free space

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •