Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Voice: Free SMS?

Default Google Voice: Free SMS?
    I've got the GV Mobile app on my iPhone and I'm trying to get free SMS. So far, I can SEND free sms, but when someone replies, I get sent TWO txt messages: one in the regular iPhone SMS app and one in the GV mobile app. Therefore, I'm still being charged for the one that's sent to the regular iPhone SMS app. I set it up to forward the txt message to my gmail push account, but how do I stop it from sending text messages to my regular iPhone SMS app?

GV got released??

and you gotta tell the sender to send it to your google number not your cell number.

no signature links or spam.... only warning

Quote Originally Posted by stonyboys View Post
    GV got released??

and you gotta tell the sender to send it to your google number not your cell number.
    It's been out on cyida.. Or you can use the site on safari, which is what I've been doing till I can get 3.1 jb...

I'm also wondering about this, because I'm afraid to make changes to the messagin plan before I test this out more. And yes, tell them to text your goog voice number.. I made my last four the same as my cell number in hopes people would be able to remember it easier, so for example my att number is 330###9680 and my goog voice number is 330$$$9680 I just sent some people a text from the goog voice number and said hey, text me with this number..

But is there anyone whose done away with their texting since they've gotten goog voice? I really could use the break the extra 20 bucks would save a month but a little paranoid about it..

Any thoughts?

I have two phones so I've been testing this out a lot. Even if somebody sends a text to your google voice number, your phone still receives a normal text message because google voice is linked to your iphone number.

I suppose you could link GV to a phone that doesn't receive text, thus you would only receive SMS within the GV app. But I'm sure somebody has a better way...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 224 Posts

Those text will count on your plan.. What you should do is go to the google voice page and sign In.. Go to account control and turn off SMS to your number! So now you only get the SMS on your gvmobile app. It works even better with the gmail push.. I have it notify me via email everytime I get a text.. So I open up gvmobile when I receive the push email.

I hope that helped.. He it should!! FREE TEXTS!
    Last edited by ebl4287; 2009-10-04 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Haha got it! You must go into your Settings under the "Phones" tab...not the Voicemail & SMS tab. Then click on edit and uncheck "receive sms on this phone."

Thanks ebl.

I just realized that this can get confusing. For example, your phone could buzz, making you think that you just got a text (push notification email). When you go into the GV app and check your SMS, there are no new messages. Therefore, the buzz must have been created from receiving an email that was NOT a text message, but instead a regular email.

My remedy: completely bypass the GV app. When your phone buzzes, go straight into your email (iphone mail application). There, you can see if the origin of the buzz was a text message or a regular email. If it was a text message you can reply directly to the email notification through the mail application itself (as you would reply to a regular email), and it will seem to the receiver as if it came from your GV number. If it was a regular email, then you can reply/delete/read/do as you normally do with regular emails. With this method, you completely bypass the GV app. This would allow non-jailbroken users to reap the benefits of GV's free SMS.

On another note, has anyone started using GV as a replacement for the Phone services? It's quite convoluted (google calls you then calls the other party...like a 3-way call). I think I may start using GV for everything since I want one number associated with me, not one for text and one for calls. Plus, my GV number is way cooler than my regular number; I spent an hour picking and choosing haha. It's "(area code)+HOTTSEX"
    Last edited by SwaGGeReR; 2009-10-05 at 12:40 AM.

Thanks

The reason why you are not getting your texts on gv is because you have to keep refreshing your txt mssgs.. On the top left corner there's a blue box.. Press it

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ebl4287 For This Useful Post:

HayWire (2009-10-05)

Quote Originally Posted by ebl4287 View Post
    Those text will count on your plan.. What you should do is go to the google voice page and sign In.. Go to account control and turn off SMS to your number! So now you only get the SMS on your gvmobile app. It works even better with the gmail push.. I have it notify me via email everytime I get a text.. So I open up gvmobile when I receive the push email.

I hope that helped.. He it should!! FREE TEXTS!
    So if we uncheck this, it will stop the forwarding to our phone eh? Sweet.. Now, I don't get why you have to have the email on.. Can't you just have it notify you normally, Like since were jailbroken and if your running that on backgrounder shouldnt it work?

Thanks for this idea.. Have you gotten rid of your text messaging plan now that you have this? any errant/wrong bills?

I just noticed... Is there any way to do mms with this? I dont see a way yet..
    Last edited by HayWire; 2009-10-05 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

^I was wondering the same thing about MMS.

Thanks

No mms

Quote Originally Posted by ebl4287 View Post
    No mms
    Son of a google! So... If we want to keep getting mms the normal way.. we've gotta keep a regular texting plan.. sigh..

Or... You could do email for MMS (if you want it free)

how rockin would it be if GVMobile got push notifications? Push notification for text, voicemail, etc.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    Or... You could do email for MMS (if you want it free)

how rockin would it be if GVMobile got push notifications? Push notification for text, voicemail, etc.
    Thats how I used to do it.. Before we got mms enabled.. and While I didnt mind it then, if we have it now id rather do it that way... Hmm someone please figure out a way! (or maybe I could just drop my texting to like 500 texts or something just for mms, because I really dont get too many of them but still.. grr.. so close, yet so far.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i just set up my google voice,gvmobile, and pushgmail. seems to be working well other than seeing the # of "emails" on the push and mailbox icon. thats a small inconvenience though to knock $15 bucks off my monthly bill. hopefully if enough people do this, at&t will realise people shouldnt have to pay for text when technically it should be covered in the data plan.yeah right!