Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: help! iphone 3gs dead?

Default help! iphone 3gs dead?
    my 3gs today was working fine then i went to unlock it to make a call then the spinning wheel came up. my phone then went black when i plugged it in to my computer/charger the phone displays the critical battery with the charge sign and does not seem to do anything. my phone was fully charged when this happened. what can i do to fix this? i am using firmware 3.0.1 jailbroken with redsn0w. please help me!! thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

hold power and home and see if you can get it to re-boot.

yeah i tried that. did nothing

Second report of this in 1 day!
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Actually the 3rd, strange. Wish I knew.

It makes me wonder if this is software of hardware related. Everything points to software right now except for the fact that the others have restored and still have the problem. I wonder if this goes back to the 3GS battery issues??

OP- Did you install any packages/tweaks/apps before this happened? What is the last thing you did install if this wasnt immediately after?

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

the last thing i installed was the movies app from the app store yesterday. then today it updated a few hours before my phone went dead.

Let the phone charge overnight, then if you still have nothing in the morning attempt to use a program like irecovery to force the phone to boot. If this doesnt work, Power the phone off, wait 5 seconds, and then hold the home button and plug into itunes. Continue holding the home button until the itunes recovery screen pops up. You then can attempt 2 things if you get this far.
    First, attempt to unplug the iphone at this point and hold the home and power buttons until the phone resets and you see the apple logo, then let go. Hopefully the phone will boot.
    Second, and only if the first fails, plug the phone back in and run redsn0w. Hopefully by running the JB again you will in turn force the phone to boot. It will not erase any of your information either.

If both still do not work then you can try to press the home and power buttons simultaneously trying different intervals of time until it will boot, sometimes this method works as a last resort.

ok well i will give it a try and hopefully it will work..guess i will find out tomorrow..

nothing worked.. then i took my sim card out while it was plugged in to my computer and reset it and my computer and itunes recognized it. my phones screen was black as if it were off. i tried to re-jailbreak but could not get my phone to boot and was forced to update to 3.1. after it failed the first time i did it again then my phone worked for about an hour, then crashed again. But this time i was able to just turn it back on. so i am not sure if i am dealing with a hardware or software issue here so i am going to go visit the apple store tomorrow to see what is going on...any ideas?
    Last edited by pyroelectro; 2009-10-05 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Are you sure the battery is just not dying?