Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Having GPS issues? Jailbroken? Lookee here.

Default Having GPS issues? Jailbroken? Lookee here.
    My GPS went in the crapper. Here is what I did:

3Gs/32. We got it for the wife about a month ago. I did a jailbreak and was running 3.0.1. I did not unlock. In addition to Cydia, I had the Winterboard and a few themes, but not much else. Had a few apps from the iTunes store, but again, nothing major.

We bought the Navigon on about the 15th of September. It was working great. Got a pretty good GPS lock and did lose GPS signal a couple times when driving, but generally worked pretty good. Gradually, over the next couple of weeks, the GPS would fail to lock more and more. Finally, about 4 days ago, it would not hold a lock at all. You can go the the settings in Navigon and click on GPS data and get a readout on the position. It was alternating from a true position reading to all zeros, back and forth about every second.

I downloaded GPSxMotion, or whatever that free app is that gives a pretty good readout on position and GPS signal strength. The strength was showing 2 or less bars (out of 7 or 8 bars) and no change. This was outside in the clear, just crappy reception.

The most important thing she uses the iPhone for, besides phone/text is navigation. So I was caught between a rock and a hard place. Do I return the phone? I can't restore to 3.0 UNjailed - thank you apple.

I decided to wipe and upgrade to 3.1, cuz if the signal was still crappy, I would just return the phone and hope for a 3.0. I did a backup and installed 3.1 as a new phone.

Once it all came back, I installed only the Navigon and the GPSx apps. Once done, I was getting 7 or 8 bars on the signal strength readout of the GPSx app and Navigon was back to locking on real nice. And this was sitting inside my house, just having the phone near the window.

Great, so maybe it was a problem with jailbreaking. I did a restore of her texts, contacts and settings, and BAM, signal in the crapper again. Hmmmm. Something carried over in the settings from being jailbroken that put the GPS on the fritz.

I did another wipe/install as new phone, and the signal came right back. I synced her contacts with Yahoo, and she wound up losing all her saved messages/notes/settings, but the Navigon works great again.

So, 2 things. First, I feel strongly that jailbreaking was causing the problem with the GPS lock, tho I cannot even begin to guess as to why.

Second, it would be really great to be able to restore only some things from a backup. Like just restore contacts and texts. But having it setup with the all or nothing, she wound up losing some of her data. This needs to change.

She kind of misses some things about being jailbroken. Themes mostly. Other than that, we are not too sad about going to 3.1, if it means the GPS works better.

I must also say that her battery drain is at least 1/2 of what it was before. She was lucky to have 40% after 8 hours on the old 3.0.1/JB. Now she is still at about 70% at the end of a day. 12 or 14 hours easy.

So, sadly, if you are having GPS issues, and you are jailbroken, the 2 may be related.

YMMV,
    Michael
    Last edited by dynalmadman; 2009-09-30 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Added some detail

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

hahahaa...i was on my way to delete this thread as spam. thx for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by SundayDuffer View Post
    hahahaa...i was on my way to delete this thread as spam. thx for the update.
    I wasn't sure if I should do the writeup on all the iPhone sites I use, or just put links to one, but I decided to just paste it into all the forums I use.

Michael

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Meh. I don't believe it was caused by the jailbreak. I believe it has something to do with the restore from the back up. Myself as many many others have NAVIGON on both 3g and 3gs phones and do not have this issue at all.
    Strange indeed, but since you have set the phone up as new and not used the back up and have done all this work, why not try the jailbreak again and see if the issue continues.

iPhone? More like MyPhone one_crazy_dude's Avatar
    Thanks

My problem dident start toll after I updated from2.2.1 to 3.0 and I was never jail broken at the time. So after the up date my gps was never the same. I never restore from back up and have restored many times. But gps never was as sharp as it was on 2.2.1. IMO I don't think it is j/b cause after I decided to j/b the gps never got better

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    why not try the jailbreak again and see if the issue continues.
    Cannot. 3Gs. 3.1. Windows.

Soon, maybe, but not yet...

Michael

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dynalmadman View Post
    Cannot. 3Gs. 3.1. Windows.
    your right 3.1 ,may have gotten lost in the saga that you wrote. lolz

Thanks

3.1 fixes GPS issues...
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something