Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Memory leaks?

Default Memory leaks?
    I've recently been having battery life problems with my iPhone 2G, and this hasn't happened since I restored it as a new phone on 3.0. I looked up my amount of memory on SBSettings and so far it looks like this:

Storage: 54 MB on /
    1272 MB on /var
    Available memory: 55 MB

Is the amount on /var too big? I think I have an app that is causing memory leaks. So far i've used SysInfoPlus to look up processes and terminate them, but I haven't found anything unusual...

Did you set the phone up as new, or did you restore from a backup?
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

I think you're mixing something up here

54 MB on /
    is the free hdd space you have on your system partition. this is hdd space, not RAM!

1272 MB on /var
    is the free hdd space on your media partition, no RAM as well!

Available memory: 55 MB
    this is your available RAM. 55MB is a good value, doesn't seem unusual. if sysinfoplus doesn't show you any strange processes, you should be fine.

memory leaks would NOT cause your battery to drain, btw!

I set it as a new phone when I jailbroke it months ago, this is just occuring recently. Thanks for clearing up the storage info, for now I'll have to look at other possible causes.

Quote Originally Posted by njr1489 View Post
    I set it as a new phone when I jailbroke it months ago, this is just occuring recently. Thanks for clearing up the storage info, for now I'll have to look at other possible causes.
    it's probably:
    1) push or mail-push, which sometimes causes a rapid battery drain (more than usual). be aware that push shortens your battery life by about 20%

2) bluetooth or tethering left on - causes EXTREME battery drain in my experience

3) too high expectations: when you use your phone a lot to play games or surf the internet, or you use a lot of services like push, mail-push and maybe a bluetooth headset, your iphone battery life will simply be short. 3.0 added a lot of battery-intensive functionality, so maybe that's the cause

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    it's probably:
    1) push or mail-push, which sometimes causes a rapid battery drain (more than usual). be aware that push shortens your battery life by about 20%

2) bluetooth or tethering left on - causes EXTREME battery drain in my experience

3) too high expectations: when you use your phone a lot to play games or surf the internet, or you use a lot of services like push, mail-push and maybe a bluetooth headset, your iphone battery life will simply be short. 3.0 added a lot of battery-intensive functionality, so maybe that's the cause
    I've disabled push/fetching/bluetooth, before battery drains happened, not sure about tethering but I think I have it off. I was suspecting before an app on the background caused it but I don't find any unusual processes...

I've disabled push/fetching/bluetooth, before battery drains happened, not sure about tethering but I think I have it off. I was suspecting before an app on the background caused it but I don't find any unusual processes...
    if it's a backgrounded app, you can see that easily in your usage statistics (settings > general > usage). if your "usage" time increases a lot (checking for mail etc. can increase the usage time a little, that's normal) even when the phone is in standby, then you have an app that's still running.

like I said, you cannot expect TOO much from the iphone regarding battery life, considering what it can do. With normal usage, I make it through a day with my battery, but that's about it ... . I don't say there is nothing wrong with your phone, I'm just saying that maybe your expecations are simply too high, because mine certainly were.
    If you think something is wrong with your battery, take the phone to apple. I did, and my exchange phone is definatly better!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    if it's a backgrounded app, you can see that easily in your usage statistics (settings > general > usage). if your "usage" time increases a lot (checking for mail etc. can increase the usage time a little, that's normal) even when the phone is in standby, then you have an app that's still running.

like I said, you cannot expect TOO much from the iphone regarding battery life, considering what it can do. With normal usage, I make it through a day with my battery, but that's about it ... . I don't say there is nothing wrong with your phone, I'm just saying that maybe your expecations are simply too high, because mine certainly were.
    If you think something is wrong with your battery, take the phone to apple. I did, and my exchange phone is definatly better!
    As far as expectations go, my normal battery life is about 2-3 hours on standby, I don't think that's really great. I used to be able to leave my phone on standby for 24 hours without even having to charge. I guess it could be the battery.

As far as expectations go, my normal battery life is about 2-3 hours on standby, I don't think that's really great. I used to be able to leave my phone on standby for 24 hours without even having to charge. I guess it could be the battery.
    ok, you should have said that at the beginning. of course that isn't up to discussion, there is clearly something wrong here and I think it's the hardware. is the phone under warranty? if so, take it to apple, they will exchange it 100%.

I, personally, would restore it to get rid of a jailbreak, than wait 2-3 days because apple can get your battery times since the last restore. if they see you have sucky battery they will instantly exchange your phone.

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

I was going to say ... do you have backgrounder???

After the Norm questions ... about push