Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Won't Turn On--Tried Everything!

Default iPhone Won't Turn On--Tried Everything!
    I searched the forums for someone who had the same problem as me but I didn't find anything so I decided to post a new topic.

Title pretty much says it all--2 nights ago, I synced some songs onto my jailbroken iPhone 3GS 32GB running FW 3.0. I knew the battery was definitely less than 30% but for some reason, it was reading 100%. I decided to restart it. Boy was that bad idea.

I am not permanently stuck on the battery meter screen that is red. (Check the attached picture to see what I mean).

I've tried everything I could think of, I've tried putting it into DFU mode where it shows the "Connect to iTunes" logo but that never comes up. The only thing I see is the screen where there is a battery meter and a lightning bolt. The battery meter is also red.

I've tried letting it stay plugged into the wall socket all night as well as a computer using TWO different OEM cords but still nothing.

The only redeemable aspect to any of this is that at times iTunes recognizes that the iPhone is in recovery mode. Unfortunately I can't update to 3.1 FW because I will lose the ability to unlock (if it even updates, that is). And obviously I can't take it to the Apple Store until I'm sure its a hardware problem and not software related because they'll just try to do the same thing.

What bugs me most about all of this is how coincidental this seems considering Apple is not letting anyone use unsigned firmwares and forcing people to use 3.1 and I just so happen to run into this God forsaken problem at the same time. I've kept this phone in meticulous condition, its worked 100% since the day I got it (launch day) and it starts acting fussy when everyone is anxiously awaiting JB for 3.1.

Does anyone have a solution to the above problem? Should I take it to the Apple store and let them try to find a solution or should I wait for the dev-team to release a jailbroken 3.1 FW to fix the problem myself?

Thank you for your time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsc00780.jpg  

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

not sure if it will work.... uninstall your current iTunes. Try to find an old version of iTunes...maybe iTunes7 or so. Install that. Now go find 3.0.1 fw. Plug it in iTunes..click shift/restore and go choose the 3.0.1 fw and restore. Hopefully that will work. Good Luck.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

itunes 7 either wont reconize the new phone or will fail at verifying stage of install.

you put the phone into recovery mode, not DFU, i think

if you take the phone to the apple store they may void your warranty if they find its Jailbroken. and most likely they will flash it to 3.1 Firmware.

wait for the 3.1 Jailbreak to be released and then flash it to 3.1 yourself IMO. if you dont care about unlocking the phone go ahead and flash it now.

hold the home and power buttons and force the phone to reboot. Or use iRecovery or Rock Your Phone on mac. I had this happen before and it just needed to be forced to reboot.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Unfortunately, the phone is not in Recovery mode because if it were, I would atleast see the "connect to iTunes" logo that the phone displays.

iRecovery unfortunately didn't help either. Looks like I'll be waiting for 3.1 FW JB before settling on the last resort of going to the Apple Store.

and did you attempt rock your phone app for mac??

Also, do you have your ecid shsh on file with cydia?? If so you can restore to 3.0
    Last edited by Melech518; 2009-09-28 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

Unfortunately I don't have a Mac.

I also did not get my ECID SHSH backed up on Cydia.

Sucks to be me, I guess.

i would say just mess with pushing the home and power buttons simultaneously until you can get it to reboot. Like I said, I have seen this before and it does eventually go away

Thanks

Have you tried holding the home button and power button at the same time then plugging in your phone while holding them?

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    Have you tried holding the home button and power button at the same time then plugging in your phone while holding them?
    Recovery mode or DFU will not help him, he needs to get the phone to boot without restoring...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

tecz0r (2009-09-29)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Recovery mode or DFU will not help him, he needs to get the phone to boot without restoring...
    This will not do either. I had to do it when my phone wouldn't boot and it booted this way. The trick is to let go when you plug in.

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    This will not do either. I had to do it when my phone wouldn't boot and it booted this way. The trick is to let go when you plug in.
    Tried this first, no go.

I have this problem with my friends phone. I tried to fix his but its a no go. Plugged it in for 4 hours, nothing happenend. Only way the computer recognized the iPhone plugged in was throguh DFU. I even did DFU, restore and when it was complete still had the red battery. I've tried about everthing. But one thing you can try is plug in your iPhone and restart the computer with the iPhone plugged in and let it boot up. Then wait and see if it charges or turns on.
    If I helped thank me!

Quote Originally Posted by dvn821 View Post
    I have this problem with my friends phone. I tried to fix his but its a no go. Plugged it in for 4 hours, nothing happenend. Only way the computer recognized the iPhone plugged in was throguh DFU. I even did DFU, restore and when it was complete still had the red battery. I've tried about everthing. But one thing you can try is plug in your iPhone and restart the computer with the iPhone plugged in and let it boot up. Then wait and see if it charges or turns on.
    Unfortunately I tried this multiple times as well. When you restored your friends phone, did the phone resume regular working condition? If not, what did your friend end up doing with the phone? Taking it to the Apple Store?

No after I restored it went back straight to the red battrey. It even showed the process of restoring on the phone but after it was complete it went back to the battery. He took it to the Apple Store but there was no warrenty left. If I was you I'd take it back to Apple for a brand new iPhone.
    If I helped thank me!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dvn821 For This Useful Post:

tecz0r (2009-09-29)

Quote Originally Posted by dvn821 View Post
    No after I restored it went back straight to the red battrey. It even showed the process of restoring on the phone but after it was complete it went back to the battery. He took it to the Apple Store but there was no warrenty left. If I was you I'd take it back to Apple for a brand new iPhone.
    I guess I'll have to consider this option once JB for 3.1 comes out. Thanks for your time.

I just wanted to take this moment and write out a follow up to the problem I was having earlier.

I came to the conclusion that because my phone was a vegetable, I had two options:

a) Wait it out and hope that the 3.1 JB that was supposed to come out in the near future would somehow remedy the problem I was having (this seemed unlikely)

b) Take it to the Apple Store and generally assume that they would replace the phone and hope to get a phone running 3.0.1 or less on it.

I decided with option b) because I was certain my phone was permanently bricked due to hardware failure. It turns out, that I decided to do a restore prior to going (because the Apple Store guys were going to do that anyway) and I had to do this by upgrading to 3.1.

Lo and behold, the Apple logo comes out and the phone starts to function like normal as if there were no problems to begin with. So as it turns out, apparently there weren't any hardware issues with the device, the firmware just needed to be reloaded.

As some of you can easily tell, this DEEPLY pissed me off. At this junction, 3.1 JB for 3G[S] came out the next day, I won't be able to JB because I did an Apple upgrade and have quite possibly lost the ability for an unlock. FML

If anyone is having these issues, make sure to make the best decision based on your experiences and circumstances!

Thanks everyone for your time and support!

------

What would any of you do now that you have non-JB 3.1 on your phone?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to tecz0r For This Useful Post:

just2 (2010-01-15)

Default Restore iphone 3GS 3.1
    I had the exact same problem with yours. Itunes does not recognize the iphone. Please let me know how you did the restore. Thanks.

hi, ok guys i had this problem my jailbroken iphone 3g would not TURN ON what ever i did (hundreds of restarts) after i tried to reset all the data ready for me to sell the phone.

the phone was a 3g model and had jailbroken IOS 4.1 software.

all i got was the apple boot logo constantly for hours and hours...the process took me a few days to figure out

check your itunes is upto date...and restart your computer just incase.

plug the phone in via the data cable open itunes (phone should be off at this point)....hold the power and home buttons together for about 2 minuites.....then itunes should say there is a problem with this phone please restore immediately...

DONE....or it worked for me anyway.

I let my battery die to do a full cycle and for the last two hours or so the battery has had the red bar and lightning bolt on it, tried to do the home and power buttons while plugging it in and everything. It's on 4.1 with the ipad 6.14 BB though, so am I screwed or what.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast