Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Any way to restore without iTunes?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Any way to restore without iTunes?
    I had previously posted about both my 3GS and my wife's 3G no longer working over USB. My 3GS is getting replaced on Tuesday.

My wife's phone is on 3.01, it is jailbroken, but when you connect the phone to a pc, the only thing that works is charging. There is no USB connect sound, it does not show up in my computer, or iTunes.

I have tried reinstalling iTunes (3 different versions), I have tried 3 different computers, and just about every availible USB port on all of the computers. I have tried putting the phone in both DFU and recovery mode, and I even reinstalled the OS on one of my computers. My phone will only charge if the phone is off, nothing works. Hers at least shows up as charging to the pc with the screen on. Even my wall charger does not work unless my phone is off.

I can however still SSH into the phone. Somehow, I think iTunes 9 screwed both of my iPhones USB connectivity. I will be able to know that for sure on Tuesday when my 3GS gets replaced. I am thinking about getting some Apple Care for my wife's phone and get it replaced as well, but is there any way I can restore it to a factory look to do that? I can't take a jailbroken phone in for replacement lol

I don't know what happened, but it is pissing me off. First the failed attempts at downgrading my 3GS, with some stupid error message that know one knows anything about. Now both the phones stop working with the PC all together. It's pretty annoying and frustrating.

You can always manually delete cydia and your other cydia apps via ssh? but no restore through ssh is possible that I know of
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

well now I have tried 4 different computers 3 different operating systems, 3 different versions of itunes, and 4 different USB cables, so I can safely assume that there is a problem with the phone.

I half wonder if itunes 9 is the culprit, because that's when the problems started. I kind of think that itunes disabled the USB connectivity some how, maybe something they snuck in if it detects a jail broken phone perhaps? Conspiracy theorists unite lol

My phone (3GS) will be replaced on Tuesday, but her phone (3G) is out of warranty, and is jail broken. If I buy some apple care, it is still useless, because of the jail break, with no way to restore, I am just screwed.

iTunes 9 has nothing to do with it.

I just told you what to do in my previous post...

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings

That will put the phone in a factory state, as far as appearances go. I did it onceon a phone that I couldn't get to restore in iTunes. It will warn that it will take about two hours to do so, and that is about right...
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

That is always an option...just didnt think that is what he wanted to do. Plus the phone is out of warranty so Apple isnt going to replace it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    iTunes 9 has nothing to do with it.

I just told you what to do in my previous post...
    You can't definitively tell me that iTunes had nothing to do with it, just like I can't definitively say that it did. It is just a theory. I find it fishy, that both phones were jailbroken, on 3.01, and then when I update to iTunes 9, the problems begin. First getting the error message that this accessory is not compatible with this device, and it won't charge, to no USB functionality at all, including iTunes recognition or pc recognition.

My wife's phone is still jail broken and functional, it will even charge over the cable, and I can ssh into it, so for now, there is no need to even fuss with it. Although, she really wants mms capability and I don't know what to do for that.

Deleting Cydia does not resolve any problems, I would have to delete all the mobile substrate add ons, winterboard, and other apps etc, but once they delve into the phone, it is still easily identifiable as a jail broken phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings

That will put the phone in a factory state, as far as appearances go. I did it onceon a phone that I couldn't get to restore in iTunes. It will warn that it will take about two hours to do so, and that is about right...
    Talk about a brain fart. I forgot about that, and that is where my 3GS sits now, I did that exact same thing eariler today, hoping that by some miracle it would restore USB functionality, but it didn't. But I can do that to her phone once I get some apple care and replace the phone that way, thanks for reminding me lol

Does it really take 2 hours with the 3G? geez heh...the 3GS only took about 5 minutes