Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: contemplating saying goodbye to Jailreaking: My Story

Default contemplating saying goodbye to Jailreaking: My Story
    just thought I'd share what happened to me yesterday with everyone here. A little background, I have been JBing my iphone since the 1st gen, with no major issues ever. Currently i have a 32gb 3gs, and yesterday morning started just like many other mornings, with me checking cydia for updates and/or new themes/apps. i found something i wanted to download, just a ringtone, and when the confirm page came up, i hit confirm to start the installation just like normal. at the last possible second before it goes into installation i noticed that the confirm page said it would be installing the ringtone, but the remove list was a mile long (weird), and it was too late to go back. after the installation/uninstalls, it prompted me to restart springboard, which i eagerly tapped. unfortunately, it never restarted. it hung at the boot logo for hours as i tried to put it in dfu mode and manually restarting. nevertheless, i had to make an appointment at the "genius bar" to get it looked at and swapped out. Problem was, the apple store is about an hour and a half away from me, and my appointment wasnt until 4pm, so i had no phone for about 6 hours. Now i work for a union in chicago, and most of the time i am on call for gigs, and while my iphone was stuck at the boot logo, i apparently missed a call for a gig that would have got me over $2000 for a days work. yeah, i was pissed. it was such a strange thing to happen because i never queued anything for removal on cydia, just woke up, turned my phone on and went to cydia to download a ringtone. on my way to the apple store, i was thinking about what they were going to do. if they swapped it out and gave me a new one with 3.1 installed, i could possibly never jailbreak again, so i was worried a bit. they ended up swapping it out, and as i was leaving, i checked to see what firmware it was on, 3.0.1!!! so yay, i COULD jailbreak again if i wanted to, but damn, should i? i mean, a freak accident just cost me over $2000, should i even bother? if i dont jb the new one, i will miss all the themes and stuff (like realquicksms), but i will never miss a call for work again.

Basically, i just wanted to share my story with the great community here, and ask, has anyone here had something happen to them where they just said, "eff it, i'm not jailbreaking it again"?
     White iPhone 3Gs - 32Gb 

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Interesting story. There are probably hundreds out there, probably more. Personally I believe jb'ing has little to do with. I blame it on the whole Apple experience. As many have said before, this great looking gadget with a super experience must 1st do it's primary job --- be a phone. Well in my humble opinion, it's not happening very well. Think about how many times you returned ur Black..., or Nokia. For me, never!! Until the FCC and the regulatory powers force Apple to play nice with it's users my next phone will not be Apple!! Enough is enough.

i agree 100%, mes.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Jailbreak it! Sh!t happens!

yeah, i probably will anyways, but maybe i'll wait for the 3.1 jb.

I recently had problems with my 3gs... had to restore, didn't fix the problem, tried again, didn't fix the problem, finally decided to bite the bullet and try to upgrade to 3.1, that didn't help either. Anyway, I had to deal with an unjailbroken iphone for about a week while I waited for my apple appointment so they could replace it for me. All I know is the entire week, I was completely disappointed with my phone and it's lack of personality and capabilities, I had no interest in it once so ever... I felt disappointed every time I got it out of my pocket. I was super excited when I requested them to replace my phone with one that didn't have 3.1 because "I have heard stories of bad battery life and frozen screens on 3.1." and they didn't even hesitate to give me one with 3.01, had it jailbroken with in an hour, and now I'm in love with my phone again.

Anyway, if missing calls is really that much of a problem for you, buy the cheapest gophone or whatever you can find, if your iphone goes down, swap your sim into that until you can get the iphone trouble figured out.
    Last edited by deathofallthings; 2009-09-27 at 08:44 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deathofallthings View Post
    I recently had problems with my 3gs... had to restore, didn't fix the problem, tried again, didn't fix the problem, finally decided to bite the bullet and try to upgrade to 3.1, that didn't help either. Anyway, I had to deal with an unjailbroken iphone for about a week while I waited for my apple appointment so they could replace it for me. All I know is the entire week, I was completely disappointed with my phone and it's lack of personality and capabilities, I had no interest in it once so ever... I felt disappointed every time I got it out of my pocket. I was super excited when I requested them to replace my phone with one that didn't have 3.1 because "I have heard stories of bad battery life and frozen screens on 3.1." and they didn't even hesitate to give me one with 3.01, had it jailbroken with in an hour, and now I'm in love with my phone again.

Anyway, if missing calls is really that much of a problem for you, buy the cheapest gophone or whatever you can find, if your iphone goes down, swap your sim into that until you can get the iphone trouble figured out.
    I went through the same thing when the 3Gs first came out. I couldn't stand the 3Gs vanilla boring phone so I went back to the jailbroken 3G until there was a jailbreak option for the s.

To the OP; you can pick up a Razr on ebay for under $50, cheap investment

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

A second phone is a must have if you are going to be altering the stock iPhone OS. I keep a cheap Sony in my bag just for the times that my jailbreak has a brain fart that way I am not left out in the cold.

Thanks

Yea, I agree. I have a 2G and a 3G instead my 3GS craps out

that is a good idea actually, to have a second, crappy phone as a backup. unfortunately as i attempted to jailbreak again, it crapped out on me and i was forced to update. so, i'm on 3.1 and here's to hoping the smart guys get the thing jailbroken soon.....

thanks for all the comments, suggestions fellas

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

1. Get Google Voice, would of helped in that case from what I read.

2. I've spent well over a week attempting to DFU, reformat, re-jailbreak, only to have something screw up & have to do it over & over. I can't say it costed me 2g's, but I can't stand not having my phone modified to my preference.

wait they replaced it...? i thought JBing voids your warranty...

Look at it this way....

You could have just as easily dropped the phone down a set of stairs and shattered it into a thousand pieces, like Stealth said sh#^ happens.

That sux though....my advice would be to make sure you have a backup phone (I have always had a backup, even before the iphone)

Jailbreak on

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    .... (I have always had a backup, even before the iphone)

Jailbreak on
    Since the adoption of mobile, I never needed a backup --- until the iPhone.

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

agreed with cpjr....always have a backup phone...so easy with GSM.

Yup, even if you were able to run to ATT and get a swap (which you cant with the iphone)......I cant afford to be without a phone for even a bit.....so I always have a backup.

Thanks

cpjr knows alot about swapping

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    cpjr knows alot about swapping

Thanks