Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can't access Springboard

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Default Can't access Springboard
    My friend's iPhone 3G, FW 3.0 has just sudden gone bad. I was driving and she plugged her iPhone into my car charger (her phone was dead, it shut off and she plugged it in right away) and after about 5 minutes it does the usual vibrate twice and turn on thing. Apple logo for a few minutes...

Then the lockscreen with the battery (in red) shows up. It's frozen. Can't slide to unlock, can't access SBsettings, Home button volume rockers and vibrate on/off don't do anything. Several home+power button resets later...

Still nothing. Left it alone for a while, after a few minutes it restarts (as if it's respringing) then pops up with the lockscreen in the same way it was before. If you leave it alone it just keeps "respringing" to a frozen lockscreen.

Shut the phone off for 10 minutes, turned it back on, same thing. I haven't tried to restore yet because I read on other posts (which I have found does not have any solid answers besides "do a hard reset" or "put in DFU mode and restore") that other people have tried restoring 4-5 times and it still does the same thing which is why I haven't restored.

She didn't install anything new, she wasn't doing anything before the phone shut off, she just plugged it in and it just did that.

Any advice besides hard reset or put in DFU mode and restore? I'm gonna work on it now and if I find a solution I'll post it. As for now, any recommendations would be great. I'm not sure if I can SSH into it yet but I'll update when I find out. Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, the laptop I just plugged it into now does recognize the device. The phone's battery is also draining (and it looks as if it does charge) because it was off before, the red indicator increased when I just saw it, but after being left unplugged for a while the red went back down...

Update: I can SSH into the device. Don't know what to do from here though.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2009-09-27 at 04:33 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

I'm not sure you can try to fix this "hic-up" any way other then restoring. Hopefully someone else will have an idea to help you out.

Thanks

^Gotta agree.
    Sorry
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I guess I'll have to try the restore. Gonna go do that now -.- was hoping I didn't have to.

even if there was a solution, for example by changing a file on the iphone, you could never use it because you can't do ANYTHING on the phone.
    do a restore. do NOT restore from backup. if the problem survives, it's probably a hardware issue.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I disagree. If a resore should fix it then it's a software problem which should be able to be fixed manually. I figured since the iPhone naturally reboots itself when it senses it is frozen it must not be booting completely from the lockscreen. I attempted to find files that relate to booting, the springboard, or the lockscreen to push it to completing boot up. Unfortunately I got too tired and decided to go the easy way out. I ran redsn0w on it as an experiment. It kicked it right out of it's frozen state. iTunes wouldn't recognize it before even though the laptop did. But redsn0w put it into DFU mode which I couldn't put it into before and unfroze the phone. I couldve found something out if I wanted to from there but I didn't feel like it anymore even tho I got the phone to stop it's stupid endless loop but still allowed me to SSH. I just restored it in frustration :P I think something else couldve been done if I hadn't bricked my own phone too during the process lol. I was planning to replace her phone files (ones that I wanted to mess with) with the ones on my functional iPhone unfortunately so coincidentally my iPhone did the same thing. I plugged it into the charger after it shut off too quick and it put me at the frozen boot logo haha. I did 2 restores last night and that was really irritating.