Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help - error message 'Restore Needed. iPhone cannot make or receive calls.'

Default Help - error message 'Restore Needed. iPhone cannot make or receive calls.'
    I left my 3GS iphone to charge today and when I returned it had a message saying "Restore Needed. iPhone cannot make or receive calls. Restore from iTunes."

I dont want to restore my phone as this will upgrade to 3.1 (I'm currently on 3.0.1). I also noticed that I had no network, just said searching, wifi/bluetooth etc were greyed out also.

I tried re-jailbreaking and this achieved nothing. I then tried to reset all settings through settings. Since I have done this, it just keeps cycling between a black screen and the apple icon. Nothing else will happen. I tried jailbreaking again and it still returned to this cycle. Soft reset does nothing either.

I can still access my files through Diskaid while on black screen but as soon as it cycles to apple icon showing - nothing.

Anyone know what is going on? Is there anyway to restore back to 3.0.1? If I have to take it into the apple store I imagine they will be able to see that it is jailbroken? Can I hide this? What files do I need to delete?

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

When you dismiss the notification, does the phone still work?

Try using iRecovery or Rock Your Phone to force it to boot
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

The phone did still work when I dismissed the notification but I went to reset all settings in 'settings->general etc' and since then it is stuck in the boot cycle.

I just tried irestore and it did nothing (although I noticed this is if it gets stuck in a restore cycle which is not the case in my instance).

I cant access 'Rock My iphone' as its on my iphone or is there a PC based version you can download? If so, what exactly do I do?

Some other error messages. When I connect my phone to PC and it goes from apple logo to black screen, itunes displays the following message 'Itunes cannot read the contents of the iphone [name]. Go to summary tab in iphone preferences and click restore this phone to factory settings'. All very good except my phone doesnt make it to springboard.

When you try to restore the phone using itunes (didnt want to do this because I dont want 3.1 but didnt see another option) it comes up with 'the iphone software update server could not be contacted. An unknown error occurred (1621)'. Was same message with (23) last night??

Thanks for the suggestion - but no luck so far

There is a Rock Your Phone app for mac that will detect the phone in recovery mode and force it to boot. But you can always use iRecovery as well...I wasnt sure if you did this yet as you said you tried iRestore?

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

Yeah tried irestore and no luck. i dont have a mac so cant use rock your iphone :sad:

I just took it into the apple shop and they gave me a new phone. Apparently it was cactus. Good news is the new phone is still on 3.0.1. Now, despite the fact I have downloaded 3.1 on itunes, i should still be able to jailbreak my phone yeah?

Just run redsn0w and point to the 3.0 ipsw and then ultrasn0w if needed.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

python81 (2009-09-27)

Thanks for your help this far.

I jailbroke my phone using redsnow but now I need to restore my phone via itunes to get all my data back. From what I've read, this will then update to 3.1 and I cant go back right? Any suggestions?

Just re-sync everything. You should have your contacts all saved on your computer. Do not restore from a backup as this causes many issues on your jailbroken phone and you will not be able to restore it to anything other than 3.1. Best bet is to set up as a new phone

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

python81 (2009-09-27)

Thanks mate.

I actually just started to restore it from back-up when I saw your message so i turned the phone off half way through back up. After a minute or so of panic, it rebooted and cydia etc were still present on my phone plus itunes recognised the device so I could sync with old settings.

Not exactly sure what happened but I have a brand new 3GS, it's still jailbroken and I have all my apps etc the way it was before. Just gotta get my cydia apps back now and it's happy days.

Thanks for your help - its appreciated.