Results 1 to 12 of 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: 3G not working in 3GS

  1. #1
    Default 3G not working in 3GS
    Hi Guys,

    My sister (who lives in a different city than I do) is having some problems with her iphone 3gs (v3.0).

    I jailbroke her 3gs a long time ago and everything has been working great. Recently, before taking a trip, i told her how to install ultrasn0w. She installed it, and rebooted after.

    She was able to use a foreign sim card and everything appeared okay. Unfortunately, installing ultrasn0w has made her 3g and edge connections not work (data only)

    She is able to make calls, and use wifi. But she cannot connect to anything in edge or 3g. She has tried restarting her phone, resetting her settings (network settings too), turning 3g and edge on and off. But nothing is working.

    How can I help her?

    Is there a way that she can restore from JB 3.0 to regular 3.0, cuz I dont want her to lose her ability to jailbreak by getting 3.1

    Thanks for all of your help and for reading this

  2. #2
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Chefanim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Panama City, FL
    Posts
    894
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 153 Times in 132 Posts

    if she is using a 'foreign' sim card, she probably doesnt have the right APN settings for the data network...
    So long, and thanks for all the fish

  3. #3
    Let me rephrase my problem

    even when I use my regular carriers sim card the data no longer works. I've tried uninstalling ultrasn0w but the problem still persists

    Guys,

    Im begging for help

    Without your help I will not have access to any data.
    I know someone here can give me a hand.

    Thanks again
    Last edited by billybobr_06; 2009-09-26 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  4. #4
    mh, it's pretty strange. ultrasn0w normally doesn't cause things like that. I could imagine the sim swap causing it maybe.

    the first thing to do would be going to settings > general > reset > reset networks settings.
    but be aware that this will also erase any wifi password etc.

    what you can do if that doesn't work is check your APN settings under settings > general > network > cellular data network
    those APN settings should match those from your carrier (you can probably find them at their website, or you can give them a call).

    the last resort - as always - is a restore through itunes. that should always do the trick.

  5. #5
    What country do you live in and what service are you trying to use the phone with? This way we can help you with the correct settings..
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

    Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    What country do you live in and what service are you trying to use the phone with? This way we can help you with the correct settings..

    I'm with Fido in Canada (Toronto)

    To the other person above, this problem started before she even swapped the sim cards. It began right after she installed it.

    Thanks for all of your help

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobr_06 View Post
    I'm with Fido in Canada (Toronto)

    To the other person above, this problem started before she even swapped the sim cards. It began right after she installed it.

    Thanks for all of your help
    here's what I could find:
    Code:
              * APN: internet.fido.ca
              * Username: fido
              * Password: fido
    
    Some users have had trouble configuring EDGE for their iPhone with Fido. Here are some tips that might help you along your way:
    
        * Call Fidoís Customer Service line and ask them to activate your EDGE account if you havenít done so before
        * If EDGE still doesnít work after that, call Fido and ask for a new SIM card. Many users have been able to get a replacement SIM free of charge (your number will stay the same)
    these are the apn settings I guess :-)

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    here's what I could find:
    Code:
              * APN: internet.fido.ca
              * Username: fido
              * Password: fido
    
    Some users have had trouble configuring EDGE for their iPhone with Fido. Here are some tips that might help you along your way:
    
        * Call Fidoís Customer Service line and ask them to activate your EDGE account if you havenít done so before
        * If EDGE still doesnít work after that, call Fido and ask for a new SIM card. Many users have been able to get a replacement SIM free of charge (your number will stay the same)
    these are the apn settings I guess :-)
    Thanks for the info... Ill try it out now

    Im having a problem though. I cant access "cellular data" inside "network".

    Any ideas?

  9. #9
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,824
    Thanks
    553
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by billybobr_06 View Post
    Thanks for the info... Ill try it out now

    Im having a problem though. I cant access "cellular data" inside "network".

    Any ideas?
    I couldn't access it either until I installed a custom ipcc file.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobr_06 View Post
    Thanks for the info... Ill try it out now

    Im having a problem though. I cant access "cellular data" inside "network".

    Any ideas?
    yeah, I do, unfortunatly resolving this isn't that easy ...
    you need to know how to SSH onto your phone and how to execute a comand line comand on the phone.
    first of all install erica utilities from cydia.
    then SSH onto your iphone and go to /private/var/mobile/Libraray/Carrier Bundle.bundle/
    in their, execute
    plutil -convert xml1 carrier.plist
    after that, download the carrier.plist, open it, scroll all the way down. at the bottom there should be
    </dict>
    </pist>
    ABOVE those lines, add:
    <key>AllowEDGEEditing</key>
    <true/>
    save the file, upload it back to your phone, reboot, and "cellular data network" should be there.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    yeah, I do, unfortunatly resolving this isn't that easy ...
    you need to know how to SSH onto your phone and how to execute a comand line comand on the phone.
    first of all install erica utilities from cydia.
    then SSH onto your iphone and go to /private/var/mobile/Libraray/Carrier Bundle.bundle/
    in their, execute
    plutil -convert xml1 carrier.plist
    after that, download the carrier.plist, open it, scroll all the way down. at the bottom there should be
    </dict>
    </pist>
    ABOVE those lines, add:
    <key>AllowEDGEEditing</key>
    <true/>
    save the file, upload it back to your phone, reboot, and "cellular data network" should be there.
    Thanks.
    A couple of questions though.

    Should the edited plist read (at the very bottom):

    <key>AllowEDGEEditing</key>
    <true/></dict>
    </pist>

    And, should I upload it and replace it in the same spot where I got it?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobr_06 View Post
    Thanks.
    A couple of questions though.

    Should the edited plist read (at the very bottom):

    <key>AllowEDGEEditing</key>
    <true/></dict>
    </pist>

    And, should I upload it and replace it in the same spot where I got it?
    I, personally, would put a newline before </dict>, but that's just a cosmetic thing

    and yeah, upload it and replace the file on the iphone. if you want, you can backup your old file first, but it shouldn't be necessary I guess :-)

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •