Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bad battery drain :-(

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unhappy Bad battery drain :-(
    Hi everyone, my 1st post on here, I hope it's in the right place.

A few things really, so bear with me as I try to get everything in this one Post!

I just jailbroke my partner's old 2G phone, and am now, (not so), happily running on Vodafone in the UK. However, since I unlocked it the battery power has been nothing less than shocking.

I can't even leave it unused overnight without the phone dying sometime in the night, I can sit and physically watch the power go!! It's got 3.01 firmware, which was done before I got hold of the phone, so was upgraded pre Jailbreak. I've read numerous items which really slate 3.0 for being unkind to batteries, but I really don't think this is what's causing my problem.

I've got the usual turned off unless in use, ie Wifi, bluetooth, push, etc. I haven't even got an email account set up. I downloaded Backgrounder via Cydia today, but have only got it set to show which Apps are running, I haven't backgrounded anything yet. Interestingly what's showing as constantly running is the phone app!! Is this normal? Also when it's near any speakers they pick up a constant interference as if the phone is always sending or receiving something.

One really strange thing I found today though is that if I take out the sim card, the battery hardly moves at all, it stays on 100% for hours, yet when I put it back in, the batt immediately starts to lose power. Does the phone searching for a signal have that much of an affect on the battery? My V/Fone signal is usually full BTW, so the phone shouldn't be searching at all should it?

I would be really glad if anyone can shed any light on my problems, or indeed share the same prob.

Sorry for such a long Post, but it's seriously annoying me!!!!

mh ... hard to give an answer for that. could be a problem with your simcard, could be something else.

first thing to do when something like this happens: restore the phone, see if it helps, don't install any crap. just unlock, put your simcard in, watch it.

if that doesn't help, try another simcard, if possible from another carrier.

also, check your usage from time to time (settings > general > usage). if the "usage" time is the same as your "standby" time it's an indication that some app is running wild in the background ... a reboot should fix that though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

JailbreakNooby (2009-09-25)

iPhone? More like MyPhone mahgninnuc93's Avatar
    Thanks

I had the same issue. I ended up restoring my phone to factory settings, unlocked and it's fine now.
    I tried to reboot several times and whatever was running in the back wouldn't stop.
    Good luck!

Yesterday I started to have the same exact problem, battery seems to be fine when I'm in airplane mod but goes down like crazy as soon as I remove it. Data is blocked from the carrier and everything else is off (wifi, bluetooth, etc). I'm gonna try to restore see how things go...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    first thing to do when something like this happens: restore the phone, see if it helps, don't install any crap. just unlock, put your simcard in, watch it.
    Thanks for that, only one problem though - the restore via iTunes will also install update 3.1. My unlock software won't work with the newest Apple software, and I don't believe there's any jailbreak that will yet.

Any way I can restore without going 3.1?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by JailbreakNooby View Post
    Thanks for that, only one problem though - the restore via iTunes will also install update 3.1. My unlock software won't work with the newest Apple software, and I don't believe there's any jailbreak that will yet.

Any way I can restore without going 3.1?

Cheers
    didn't you say you have a 2G? the 2G can restore to any firmware. just download the 3.0 firmware for the 2G here at MMi (download section), then hold shift while clicking on restore (windows) or alt while clicking on restore (mac), which allows you to chose a firmware. chose the 3.0 firmware you just downloaded -> there you go.

oh and btw, on the 2G 3.1 can be jailbroken and unlocked via PwnageTool, but you need a mac to use that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Cheers again Blackwolf, but I seem to have solved the mystery!!

I think my Push email setting was running constantly in the background even after I set it to manual, and even after I deleted my Yahoo acct from the phone. I did notice after 1st setting it to manual that it still picked up my mails for some weird reason! I never thought anything of it until I rebooted the phone with the power & home buttons and since I did that the phone's been perfect!!

Thanks for all your advice :-)

Also restoring the phone from a backup will create all of these problems....
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh right, didn't know that, cheers.

I think my phone's got some sort of problem turning off Notifications though. I turned them on for a game I've got, then after a while turned them off again, but the phone continued to eat the battery :-(

Again a reboot sorted it, so at least I seem to have something nailed down as to what is gobbling the batt power.

Hi for everyone. Really I'm having same problem with my 2G battery. It is drying very quick after I upgraded from 1.1.4 to 3.0.1. So I'm minding to restore, unlock and built as new. But I have some files I need in "Voice memos". May be someone know will it come back by syncing or have some ideas how to save it to computer???? It is too big to sent by mail. Thanks in advantage.

You can sync your voice memos with itunes and then sync them back after
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

GIM (2009-09-27)