Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS Randonmly Lost 3G

Default 3GS Has no service when 3G is turned on
    So I have a 3GS, FW 3.0, it's jailbroken, has been for a few months now. The other day I got up... having made no changes to the phone in several weeks, it says no service. If I turn off 3g, then it gets a signal, all the bars at that. Turn 3g back on, no service. What am I missing here? I could really use some help.
    Last edited by deathofallthings; 2009-09-18 at 06:44 AM.

Firmware 3.8?

Whoops, 3.0

Playing with it a little more... every once in awhile I can turn the phone on... and it has full bars for a few minutes with 3g on... and then it randomly just goes to no service. I don't understand at all what's doing this.
    Last edited by deathofallthings; 2009-09-18 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I don't think anyone will have an answer for you besides taking it to Apple.

Lovely

Not

Could be software, most likely....or hardware.

A restore is probably whats needed, but you dont wanna do that

Yeah, you can't restore without going to 3.1 can you?
    Last edited by deathofallthings; 2009-09-18 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

???? I don't understand exactly what you're speaking of on that last part..

It should pickup EDGE anytimg 3G is off, I'm pretty sure I don't understand what you're saying though

Lovely

Not

Sounds like software to me. But without restoring your not gonna figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL View Post
    ???? I don't understand exactly what you're speaking of on that last part..

It should pickup EDGE anytimg 3G is off, I'm pretty sure I don't understand what you're saying though
    You can turn 3G on and of under settings. If I have 3G turned on, my phone gets no service. If I turn 3G off, my phone goes to full bars with the Edge symbol. Turn 3g back on... No Service. It doesn't make any sense to me either.

Well, I read through Sauriks whole article about how to restore to 3.0... If I understand it correctly I can follow all his instructions restore to 3.0 and retain the ability to jailbreak in the future... so I'm going to give that a try. Hurray for having to set up my entire phone again after... bleh... and this might not even fix the problem.

Edit - Yeah, that failed. Restore wouldn't go through... so I'm thinking I'm SOL till the 3.1 3GS upgrade/jailbreak is finished, hopefully it won't be too much longer. That is unless someone out there has an idea of what I should do.
    Last edited by deathofallthings; 2009-09-18 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

bro trying reset network settings and reboot

Yeah, I tried that, no luck. Anyone know where I could find the stock ATT carrier file, mine is one I got for enabling MMS, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Although, considering it's been working the last 2 months with that, wonder why it would stop working now.
    Last edited by deathofallthings; 2009-09-18 at 08:47 AM.

Thanks

I have this happen occasionally. im running 3.0 but I discovered its seems fixed since I updated the carrier file for MMS.

Do you happen to have a link the carrier file you're running now?

So I managed to restore my phone... the problem remains. If 3G is switched on, I get no service. If I switch 3G off, I get all the bars and the edge symbol... what the hell do I do now?

3G issues? That still doesn't make sense because if 3G was down you should get EDGE after a minute or so.. because it is available. It's probably your phone.

Lovely

Not

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

sounded like you had change the APN carrier settings for MMS. That probably killed your 3G. Did you change the APN?

Changing the APN won't affect the signal and like Girlllll says, it should fall back to GPRS/Edge. If it doesn't I'd guess at a faulty 3g Aerial .
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by SundayDuffer View Post
    sounded like you had change the APN carrier settings for MMS. That probably killed your 3G. Did you change the APN?
    I had downloaded the new ATT carrier bundle from Stealth Bravo's MMS thread, and my MMS and 3g were working for like a month after that... then I just woke up one day and randomly had no signal. So even if that were the cause, why would it be so random? And why would I still have this problem after I restored my phone and set up as a new phone?