Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Which Apple/AT&T Stores [STILL] sell iPhone 3GS with 3.0.x?

Question Which Apple/AT&T Stores [STILL] sell iPhone 3GS with 3.0.x?
    Since we can't be sure the devteam will be unlocking 3.1 in the foreseeable future (or ever) due to the baseband update in 3.1, people who still wish to unlock their phones need to know where to find iPhones with 3.0.x.

So it begs the question: If you've bought a 3GS since the release of 3.1, has it be loaded with new FW? If so, where have you bought it?

I'll be purchasing a 3GS today, and I'll post my results.

Cheers,

dmartin2

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Patience.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

3.1 has been out for only 8 days! Apple isn't going to open up al their boxes and update their phones. If you buy one ASAP you should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    3.1 has been out for only 8 days! Apple isn't going to open up al their boxes and update their phones. If you buy one ASAP you should be ok.
    I agree. Although, some people would beg to differ.

Regardless, it would be helpful to many if people post their results after purchasing or getting their phone serviced. We would all know the tried-and-proven likelihood of purchasing a new 3GS with 3.1 FW. We would also know the general date when 3.0.x no longer existed in the wild.

ALSO I'm sure everyone remembers what it was like when the original iPhone hit the market? It took the dev team 3 months to unlock it. If that is any reflection of how long it'll take for 3.1's baseband, we can all safely assume that we won't be unlocking pre-installed 3.1's in quite sometime IF at all.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have read so much about this and there are so many conflicting reports. If one does get a new 3G[S] with 3.0.1 on it wouldn't you still be out of luck? Knowing that you need the iBEC & iBSS from 3.0.1 that you can not get because restoring would make you upgrade to 3.1, and thus updating your baseband giving you that ability to unlock. Correct me if i am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman21 View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked before. I have read so much about this and there are so many conflicting reports. If one does get a new 3G[S] with 3.0.1 on it wouldn't you still be out of luck? Knowing that you need the iBEC & iBSS from 3.0.1 that you can not get because restoring would make you upgrade to 3.1, and thus updating your baseband giving you that ability to unlock. Correct me if i am wrong.
    IF you acquire a 3GS with 3.0 or 3.0.1, then you will be able to jailbreak and unlock using the redsn0w/cydia process. You do not need ibec or ibss.

Writing this from my new 3GS jailbroken and unlocked with 3.0.1 FW.

Spoke to a bunch of apple workers and they all said that they won't be getting phones with preloaded 3.1 anytime soon.

Anyone in PA shopping at an Apple store for a new 3GS will be able to pick up a lockout-proof phone. You're safe for now.

-dmartin2
    Last edited by dmartin2; 2009-09-17 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost