Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iTunes Syncing

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Default iTunes Syncing
    I never used to have a problem with syncing but now I'm confused. I accidentally upgraded to the new iTunes (which is whatever because all I want to do is sync my photos) but when I opened it up, it's like I never had iTunes before or something on this laptop. So whenever I click sync (bottom right corner) it says it's syncing but doesn't do anything. I want to move all the stuff I have on my iPhone 3G to the iTunes, then go in and take out some of the folders I created within my camera app since it's getting so clustered. Whenever I click the individual sync buttons (like under photos, or apps, or music) it tells me that all the apps/data on the iPhone will be deleted and replaced with the ones in this iTunes Library (which has nothing in it since the upgrade wiped out everything!).

So the question is, how do I get the phone to sync to iTunes so that all my data/apps will get transfered into my laptop? Or, how do I get it to sync without deleting everything on my phone?

you should have upgraded itunes, not reinstalled. itunes does not give you the option to sync stuff from the iphone to itunes, you shouldn't have deleted your itunes library!

there are third party tools that may work (or not) but I don't know anything about those, sorry.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I didn't reinstall. I upgraded.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    you should have upgraded itunes, not reinstalled. itunes does not give you the option to sync stuff from the iphone to itunes, you shouldn't have deleted your itunes library!

there are third party tools that may work (or not) but I don't know anything about those, sorry.
    What do you mean by iTunes doesn't sync stuff from the phone to iTunes?

I transferred my phone stuff to a new laptop just fine.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Well that's great! Now if you could tell me how you did so...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    What do you mean by iTunes doesn't sync stuff from the phone to iTunes?

I transferred my phone stuff to a new laptop just fine.
    then you are a miracle worker because nothing besides apps sync from the phone to itunes :-)

and @annie: if you upgraded itunes, everything in itunes should still be there and not gone and the iphone should sync just as before.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

But it doesn't. So if anyone who has taken their iPhone and synced it to a new computer or one that hasn't been previously synced to your phone before, let me know what you did.

Oh yeah, I have synced to a diff computer before with my phone and it worked fine before but for some reason it won't go this time. I've tried looking on Apple's site and on mmi and seems like it just won't listen to me
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2009-09-14 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

You have to authorize your phone for use on the computer. I chose to create a backup(by right clicking my phone in iTunes) instead of syncing and it transferred everything fine.

I forgot to mention! With your phone plugged in and Authorized click File and then Transfer Purchases. It will shift over music and apps you have purchased.
    Last edited by CaptainChaos; 2009-09-14 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    You have to authorize your phone for use on the computer. I chose to create a backup(by right clicking my phone in iTunes) instead of syncing and it transferred everything fine.

I forgot to mention! With your phone plugged in and Authorized click File and then Transfer Purchases. It will shift over music and apps you have purchased.
    yeah, that will work! but stuff not purchased in the itunes cannot be transferred back by itunes, only by third party tools.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Huh...still not working. My photos, I had synced before to another computer and basically I wanted to organize them so I put them all in separate folders. I can't access that computer right now so on my current one, I can't transfer my photos in besides from the camera roll, which I've already done. Anybody know how I can SSH or iTunes sync these photos into my laptop without having to go to the other computer and sync from there?