Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I think itunes is playing at false advertisement

Default I think itunes is playing at false advertisement
    So, when you plug your phone in, and you have itunes open, next to the restore button it says something like if you are having problems with your phone, click here to restore to default settings. Well, as far as I am concerned, I bought a 3GS with 3.0.1 installed on it, so a fresh install of 3.0.1 would be my "default settings". Not allowing a 3GS to be restored to the original firmware it shipped with seems to be just morally wrong.

Anywho, just had to complain (I keep forgetting about the language filter) real quick.
    Last edited by L00i3; 2009-09-14 at 04:31 AM. Reason: language filter

2. The Following User Says Thank You to L00i3 For This Useful Post:

hmo1966 (2009-10-01)

Play on words....

But I say Apple would have you beat in that is states "default settings" and not "original settings".....hence the current firmware could be considered the "default" at the moment.

Oh I'm sure I wouldn't have a leg to stand on if I tried to argue it with them. Like I said, I just had to complain a little bit, cuz it's stupid. But seriously, my itunes knows my phones s/n, so apple would know it too when itunes phones home for the restore request. They should have a database that would say yes or no to the request based on the firmware that was installed a particular phone by s/n at the factory. Otherwise, what point does the serial number have? I doubt Apple or ATT would stop anyone from activating it if I ever had to report it lost or stolen. All ATT would do is make it so no more charges appear on my account. Apple would be like "sorry bout your phone. We'll sell you a new one though "

As much as I love Apple products....and I have a list of em sitting here.....

I have always hated the "leash" Apple tries to keep. It is good to a point....but there is a line between providing a well designed, well running product and just being intrusive.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Play on words....

But I say Apple would have you beat in that is states "default settings" and not "original settings".....hence the current firmware could be considered the "default" at the moment.
    Guess I should have plugged my phone in before posting. I knew there was a valid reason why I thought apple was playing in evilness by not allowing a 3GS to install anything less than 3.1...