Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dealing with Apple and getting a replacement phone.

Default Dealing with Apple and getting a replacement phone.
    hi, I have a iPhone 3G which recently developed a crack near the usb port. Nothing else is wrong with my phone, nor have have I ever dropped it. Obviously the crack is the fault of apple, so I called them today and told me I needed either to do a return through mail, set up a meeting at an Apple store, or do a send me a new phone for $30 while they do a hold of $500 on my credit card if I dont send my current phone in.. rediculous.

Did anyone else have this problem with their phones?

I also lied to them and said its affecting my batter life hahahaha, well anyway, I picked to just bring it to the Apple store to avoid being ****** over by them...

Is there anything I should do know to do, or say, and what not to say to ensure I get a replacement phone.

I also jailbroke it, but I just recently updated to 3.1... this makes it unnoticable that I have jailbroke correct?

to make it more clear, the crack is on the back, on the plastic, not glass.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

If you just restored you'll be fine, they will not know that it has been jailbroken.
    As far as the crack, not sure. Never heard of that happening, must be a faulty piece I guess.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

You should be ok

Yeah sometimes I think people are really looking for a reason to get their phones swapped.

A hairline crack kinda depends on if you get a real generous tech at the Apple store. But there has been reports of issues with the housings. Personally Ive never had an issue with my original 3G bought day 1 or my 3Gs now cracking at all.

Lying about it and saying your battery life is affected is just boo.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Yeah sometimes I think people are really looking for a reason to get their phones swapped.

A hairline crack kinda depends on if you get a real generous tech at the Apple store. But there has been reports of issues with the housings. Personally Ive never had an issue with my original 3G bought day 1 or my 3Gs now cracking at all.

Lying about it and saying your battery life is affected is just boo.
    Well I'm trying to get my phone swapped so it doesn't get worse, and eventually break, and then me being stuck without a phone. Sorry if you took offense to that man.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've also noticed a few cracks on my 3GS, by the usb port/headphone jack. While they are hairline cracks, I would dread if anything like you mentioned above ever did happen. Let me know how the swap goes.

I only took offense to you suggesting you were gonna make up stories to tell em.

But if you have a real defect (and like I said there have been issues with the housings cracking) then by all means I think they should warranty it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Considering I'm having the same problem, I've never dropped mine either, do y'all think this is something that I should have taken care of while it's in Warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Jal050688 View Post
    Considering I'm having the same problem, I've never dropped mine either, do y'all think this is something that I should have taken care of while it's in Warranty?
    yes, it'll save you money if you do the mail swap thing.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well just let me know how your swap goes and what exactly they told you/you told them

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

If you have a crack then take it to the apple store and hopefully they will swap it out