Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Problem Free way to update iPhone

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default Problem Free way to update iPhone
    Wasn't sure where to put this, so i put it in here.

I've noticed people always having problems after they Update to a new firmware.

This is because most of you guys just click update with a JailBroken iPhone. Or some guys Restore and Update, but then Restore from Back up. You will always have an issue with this method. I don't want to go into too much detail why you'll have problems. When you Back up a hacked phone, files and things get mixed up. Certain things arn't suppose to be there other things are. Its just a mess!

So here is the method i use that works like a charm everytime! Hope this helps you guys!

DownLoad -Funambol- from the AppStore. Its free and works! Set it up. Once your done with with the setup and sign in. Click settings and contacts. Make it says from phone to server! Confirm by going online to the site that your contacts are there!

Now Delete Back Ups from iTunes because when you Back up a hacked phone stuff always goes wrong. No need for details, No need for back ups.

Now RESTORE and Update your iPhone. NO back ups! After its done, Click Setup as new phone.

Now Sync your Apps. Get on -Funambol- and sync contacts. Make sure the setting is on Server to phone. Done. Fresh iPhone with your contacts and apps. FRESH as it can get.

The best part about this App is, lets say you go to the Apple store and they give you a new iPhone. You can DL the App and sync your contacts right there. Cant beat that..!

while I appreciate the tutorial, and it might help some people, I have to disappoint you in saying that restoring from backup is perfectly ok with an iphone, jailbroken or not. Since I know what files are stored in a backup I'm pretty sure of that ;-)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    while I appreciate the tutorial, and it might help some people, I have to disappoint you in saying that restoring from backup is perfectly ok with an iphone, jailbroken or not. Since I know what files are stored in a backup I'm pretty sure of that ;-)
    I'd have to respectfully disagree. For example, if you used MiM (Make it Mine). Then backed up your phone, then Restored and Updated. Then loaded from the Backup, whatever it was that you wrote on MiM will still be on your phone. Now your kinda screwed if you take your iPhone in for a problem its having to the Apple store. And that Minor change that MiM did should not be there on after you restore and update. The whole point of Restoring and Updating is to have a fresh new FirmWare..

That's just one small example...

Quote Originally Posted by Answer1o1 View Post
    I'd have to respectfully disagree. For example, if you used MiM (Make it Mine). Then backed up your phone, then Restored and Updated. Then loaded from the Backup, whatever it was that you wrote on MiM will still be on your phone. Now your kinda screwed if you take your iPhone in for a problem its having to the Apple store. And that Minor change that MiM did should not be there on after you restore and update. The whole point of Restoring and Updating is to have a fresh new FirmWare..

That's just one small example...
    your firmware is fresh and new. restoring from backups copies onto your phones:
    - contacts
    - sms
    - notes
    - calender
    - app data
    - photos/videos from the camera roll