Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to backup data

Default How to backup data
    How can i backup all data (contacts!!!, pictures!!!, movies, pictures, ringtones, SMS!!) and then upgrade to 3.0 or 3.1 software

Please help that i can restor my backup data

Iphone 2g

itunes ;-) it backups those things when you sync. after the upgrade, choose "restore iphone from backup" -> there you go. ringtones and movies should be in your itunes anyway, shouldn't they?
    recorded movies and pictures in your camera roll are backed up by itunes as far as I know

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaxRabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't do that if your iPhone is jailbroken though!!! You didn't specify whether it was or not.

If it's jailbroken, sync with iTunes so all of your music, photos, video, etc is backed up (make sure to sync contacts with something). Then use iPhone PC Suite to back up the sms.db, notes.db, and the rest of the files that don't sync with iTunes. You can then easily restore the .db files using the PC Suite.

If you need the locations of those .db files, PM me and I'll send you the locations when I get to my home PC tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRabbit View Post
    Don't do that if your iPhone is jailbroken though!!! You didn't specify whether it was or not.

If it's jailbroken, sync with iTunes so all of your music, photos, video, etc is backed up (make sure to sync contacts with something). Then use iPhone PC Suite to back up the sms.db, notes.db, and the rest of the files that don't sync with iTunes. You can then easily restore the .db files using the PC Suite.

If you need the locations of those .db files, PM me and I'll send you the locations when I get to my home PC tonight.
    sms.db and notes.db both sync with itunes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    sms.db and notes.db both sync with itunes
    They may back up, but they do not sync. For example, if you completely restore your iPhone and sync, your music, videos, etc. will sync back to the phone. But your SMS history, notes, call history, etc. will not.

he's right; I just restored as a new phone and notes etc were gone, but if you restore then resync with a backup you'll still have them.

Thanks

But you don't want to restore from backup if you have a jailbroken phone

But you don't want to restore from backup if you have a jailbroken phone
    why? it doesn't matter at all.

Thanks

It doesn't?!?! I thought jailbreakers weren't supposed to use the backup feature!

It doesn't?!?! I thought jailbreakers weren't supposed to use the backup feature!
    no, it doesn't really matter. it is believed that some people's battery issues were caused by restoring from backup on 3.0, but that was not jailbreak-related.
    I've been using backups for about 2 years now, works fine

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWolf For This Useful Post:

MaxRabbit (2009-09-11)

Green Apple
    Thanks

^ what he said, I've been using back ups and my phone is perfectly fine.
    useful? hit the thanks button!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to noop For This Useful Post:

MaxRabbit (2009-09-11)

ok what must i click to backup or only restore shift and choose file to restore and so one than its upgradet then how the backuped files come back?
    Last edited by MyStur; 2009-09-11 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MyStur View Post
    ok what must i click to backup or only restore shift and choose file to restore and so one than its upgradet then how the backuped files come back?
    afaik, everytime you sync your iphone itunes backups the stuff on your phone. so sync, then restore, than when it asks you restore from backup - and you should be fine

movies and ringtones will sync back from itunes
    sync notes and contacts with outlook then those will sync back when you plug in your 'new' or updated phone
    download your pictures from your camera roll to a folder and choose it to sync back with itunes.

I'm going to try Chronus (formerly Time Capsule) for my apps and settings.