Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Replacing SMS backup on Jailbroken 3Gs

Default Replacing SMS backup on Jailbroken 3Gs
    Hi guys,

First post here. Just moved to the UK from Ireland and couldn't afford a) another iphone and b) to not be without my iphone, so i took the plunge and jailbroke the phone with redsn0w.

Just wondering if it's possible to replace all the text messages I had on the phone from a backup? I used iPhone backup extractor before running redsn0w.

Any help much appreciated, omw to read about cydia!

Cheers,

Ronan

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

You could right click on the phone in iTunes and try sync from a previous back-up. I also should warn you that this may cause some problems but most likely it will not. Just want you to be prepared if you have to restore and jailbreak it again.

Oh and Welcome to MMi

Hi blkcadi thanks for the welcome,

I might try that but I'm pretty sure it will remove the jailbreak. I wonder would it be possible to add a previous backup to the .ipsw file that you point redsn0w to during the jailbreak process.

Also, is there any way to get my safari bookmarks back on the phone?

Cheers

For anyone who's interested I used iPhone Backup Extractor on my mac and netatalk on my iphone to copy the old sms database and the bookmark.plist for safari onto the iphone.

Worked a treat
    Last edited by CraftyBob; 2009-09-10 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyBob View Post
    Hi blkcadi thanks for the welcome,

I might try that but I'm pretty sure it will remove the jailbreak. I wonder would it be possible to add a previous backup to the .ipsw file that you point redsn0w to during the jailbreak process.

Also, is there any way to get my safari bookmarks back on the phone?

Cheers

For anyone who's interested I used iPhone Backup Extractor on my mac and netatalk on my iphone to copy the old sms database and the bookmark.plist for safari onto the iphone.

Worked a treat
    getting your backup onto the iphone shouldn't interfere with your jailbreak. getting a backup into an IPSW is not possible I'm afraid.
    safari bookmarks should be included in the itunes backup (not 100% sure though)